Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

While the "same fare class" rule has already been mentioned, to dig into it a bit... Although DL can release inventory at any time depending on sales, if the morning flight is being sold in L inventory a couple of months out, the likelihood of V inventory (which is 4 fare buckets lower in the hierarchy... L/U/T/X/V) being available strikes me as pretty low. In other words, DL is expecting the flight to be popular. I wouldn't expect SDC to succeed, and maybe not even SDS. If you need to fly out in the morning, book the morning flight.
Makes sense. Sounds like it isn’t worth the risk. Also good to know that the fare class rules don’t necessarily apply to sds
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

While the "same fare class" rule has already been mentioned, to dig into it a bit... Although DL can release inventory at any time depending on sales, if the morning flight is being sold in L inventory a couple of months out, the likelihood of V inventory (which is 4 fare buckets lower in the hierarchy... L/U/T/X/V) being available strikes me as pretty low. In other words, DL is expecting the flight to be popular. I wouldn't expect SDC to succeed, and maybe not even SDS. If you need to fly out in the morning, book the morning flight.
Hmm I was under the impression DL will open-up but not sell, the lower fare buckets on day of departure? Are you saying this does NOT happen???

I’ve experienced the opposite where usually they open up.. also if you really wanted to “guarantee” you could buy comfort+ since only main cabin requires fare class matching
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf

Hmm I was under the impression DL will open-up but not sell, the lower fare buckets on day of departure? Are you saying this does NOT happen???

I’ve experienced the opposite where usually they open up.. also if you really wanted to “guarantee” you could buy comfort+ since only main cabin requires fare class matching
DL doesn't do this. Otherwise there'd be little standby. Frequently flights only have Y or YBM left by DoD.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Sometimes they do, I've had successful SDS on a very low fare bucket (V, X) when only M is available for sale.

Sometimes they don't.

I'm not aware of any logic behind the decision.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:08 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
SDS doesn't require same fare bucket. So generally, as a DM, if you're SDSing, that basically implies that your original fare class is not available.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:09 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You can often SDC with a lower fare bucket that isn't being sold. This doesn't mean they "opened more up" it just means that when they were selling that bucket they didn't sell all of the inventory.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:23 pm

Taking a step back, my initial question was really has anyone ever tried/used the strategy of buying a cheaper flight at an unattractive/inopportune time with the goal of using sdc to switch to the flight you actually want to take. Do people have experience doing this on delta? My friend that flies united and is platinum does this from time to time.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb90
Taking a step back, my initial question was really has anyone ever tried/used the strategy of buying a cheaper flight at an unattractive/inopportune time with the goal of using sdc to switch to the flight you actually want to take. Do people have experience doing this on delta? My friend that flies united and is platinum does this from time to time.
If you are buying cheaper fares (like X/V) there's really no way to predict if X/V inventory will be open up at the 24 hour mark (or later) on the flight you want. I doubt too many people try this as a strategy simply due to the unpredictability. I don't do SDC much, but when I do, it's pretty rare to find flights that have inventory in those buckets. You can always fly standby if there's no inventory as long as you maintain the same routing. So if you desperately want to save a few bucks and don't mind the unpredictability, you may achieve a certain amount of success between SDC and SDS. However, if you are flying standby, you will be unlikely to get a C+ seat (let alone FC).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my scenario isn't really germane to the instant question, since FC SDC only requires an available seat rather than the actual fare bucket, but the basic answer is "Yes" ... typical recent example is 0600 DCA-DTW-SEA ~$540 (G/A); 1600 DCA-SLC/ATL-SEA ~$1700 (F/P)
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I've done it a few times when my schedule is flexible but the premium to fly at the time I would like that day is "too much". Sometimes (PIT-ATL I recall) I'll look 24 hours out and see LUTXV all 9s across the board and quickly/happily SDC. Other times (LAS-ATL I recall more than once) I'll see Y9 but nothing in the lower buckets and I'll SDS and take my chances.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm sure people some do this with some frequency, I certainly have...

Originally Posted by LBJ
If you are buying cheaper fares (like X/V) there's really no way to predict if X/V inventory will be open up at the 24 hour mark (or later) on the flight you want. I doubt too many people try this as a strategy simply due to the unpredictability.
... but only provided you are prepared to take your original flight as booked if the SDC/SDS doesn't work out. If you need to be on the flight that is currently more expensive then relying on being able to SDC/SDS is probably not a great gamble. It all comes down to how strong the need is, how objectionable really is the cheaper flight, how flexible your plans are and so on.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I have 100% seen them add more to 0 inventory on Day of Departure but not sure that's routine.

I don't think Delta has a definite policy like United where they open up all the fare classes at T-3 hours but I haven't been tracking closely. I guess someone could do a couple ExpertFlyer availability queries to see if they routinely do add inventory.

Usually don't have an issue with SDC (but not sure if that's agent kindness/discretion) unless the flight has nearly fully sold out... Which in today's flight loads is a real possibility..

Originally Posted by pvn
You can often SDC with a lower fare bucket that isn't being sold. This doesn't mean they "opened more up" it just means that when they were selling that bucket they didn't sell all of the inventory.

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Jan 10, 2019 at 6:41 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I buy cheaper first class fares at the less desirable time to do SDC to a flight at a better time. But the first class SDC fares don't require the fare bucket to have availability so that's a safer choice, but not entirely safe. It's worked for me ~ 20 times in last 2 years with 0 fails. Sometimes, even, the first class fare at undesirable time is cheaper than the coach fare at preferred time so my hope is even if F becomes unavailable, that they'll let me move to coach as a voluntary downgrade, but I've never tested that hypothesis.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've done it to get earlier flights. Often, I can SDC. Sometimes I have to SDS but usually get the earlier flight. (I've also used RUCs to upgrade in order to SDC.) But I'm always willing to take the flight I bought as a last resort.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
It turns out that is what I'm doing right now, except that I didn't plan it this way. I didn't book quite as early as usual. So I took the cheaper fare on the later flight, was up early and called in, and got, SDC. It also appear that I'll clear into D1 with an RUC instead of ending up 1 on the list with no seats remaining for FC on the other flight.

I'll keep this "strategy" in mind when considering ticket option going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.