Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I was blind...but now I see!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
'

My thought is that if this is true, you should send the receipts to DL along with a heartfelt note of why you are doing it.

If you don't do that, it is just internet jibber jabber and nothing will ever come of it.

I could type that I just purchased 4 x 11,000 tickets to PVG and that offset your purchase. I didn't. However, this is the internet, and anyone can type anything.
Sadly, I think DL is too big to care.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
We usually go in the day before

How does the extra night in a NYC city hotel fit into the financial picture?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by misterbean
Sadly, I think DL is too big to care.
It is certainly too big to care about an anonymous post online. It possibly would care to information sent in, however, at this point, DL probably sees it as a mission in creative writing.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:35 pm

I just think that TPAC is too competitive for DL to just be absent-mindedly pricing those tickets so high. If they do, they must have a basis to believe someone will buy it at that rate. Maybe those specific flights are almost sold out (I haven't checked..) and these are not discounted rates while UA is pushing low fares.
Maybe other reasons, who knows.

Bottom line is if OP can save a chunk of money, he should. DL won't really care even if he writes in and provides proof, especially if he's not a HVC, as stated by OP. They know what their pricing is and what their competition is..
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Rewards, Emerald Club
OP should consider the happiness of his employees as well. When pricing these flights, there was obviously a large discrepancy. But when you get to situations where Delta is just 5-10% more on average, it may be worth it for employee health and happiness.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:46 pm

DL has numerous corporate contracts in the DTW market. Automotive engineering between DTW and PVG is HUGE. I am one guy (not even in the automotive industry) and I know 3 that fly the route regularly for work....all in J....all on corporate contracts. DL is probably PURPOSELY pricing it high, because it already has its bets hedged on the contract side. Same with DTWICN, DTWNRT and DTW NGO. Look at the commercial traffic between the two. It goes well beyond some individual's myopic views.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
DL has numerous corporate contracts in the DTW market. Automotive engineering between DTW and PVG is HUGE. I am one guy (not even in the automotive industry) and I know 3 that fly the route regularly for work....all in J....all on corporate contracts. DL is probably PURPOSELY pricing it high, because it already has its bets hedged on the contract side. Same with DTWICN, DTWNRT and DTW NGO. Look at the commercial traffic between the two. It goes well beyond some individual's myopic views.
Yea I have to agree with Bubba here. I know that the prices that we pay for international business class are nothing close to that $11k figure. The corporate contract on business class tickets usually gets like a 30-50% discount on that full fare. Delta seems to cater to the corporate customers and gives pretty big discounts to businesses that give them volume and buy premium fares. Seeing the 11k DL vs 5k UA fare discrepancy from a DL hub really doesn't surprise me too much.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:33 pm

My point exactly. DL won't care if OP writes in with receipt since they purposely priced that route higher the UA, knowing they'll get buyers (maybe at a slight discount) and therefore generate revenue. They understand that OP and others like him will likely choose other options, but that's their conciously-made business decision and they do not need OP to show them that he can get the route for 50% less on UA because they already know that...
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:21 pm
k2

True - but these prices are nothing new, NW was the same. J fares haven't changed a whole lot recently, they were already priced for pain. It's the M-Y TPAC coach fares that have gone nuts.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
I understand that I (my company) isn't a HVC to Delta. I'm okay with that.

I also understand that there are sophisticated pricing models to maximize revenue.

I only posted this because it showed my own ignorance of having or flights on DL as a default. I have been okay paying a premium for my flights and for my employees. I just had no idea how large of a premium I was paying on some routes. Big companies have travel management most small companies like ours don't.

I really enjoy Delta. DTW is a great airport. Great options on direct flights. I have been fortunate to use SWU's on flights to ICN and PVG. I love SDC as it has enabled me to get back home to see kids games and events

We will probably spend around $350,000 in 2013 on airfare. That's not big enough to matter to "a big global airline". I'm okay with that and don't expect that they should be concerned. As I make this change to best value it means real money for our business. If May is an indication the yearly savings will be enough money for me to share some of the savings with my employees AND hire an additional employee.

We are flying on DL on a number of routes in May (FLL, PHX) I look forward to a Biscoff, I'll be happy to see Deltalina still wag her finger in the new versions of the video. I also have to wag my finger on our total loyalty to DL

Maps
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by apwessen
OP should consider the happiness of his employees as well. When pricing these flights, there was obviously a large discrepancy. But when you get to situations where Delta is just 5-10% more on average, it may be worth it for employee health and happiness.
This was a very big consideration. That is why I am going to share 25% of the cost savings with them. It's also why I said best value. A small premium is fine to pay in a number of cases.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

It is certainly too big to care about an anonymous post online. It possibly would care to information sent in, however, at this point, DL probably sees it as a mission in creative writing.
Bubba

I don't think they should care. They know their business well and with load factors increasing I'm sure our reduced flying on DL wouldn't be missed.

It would be foolish of me to send in pricing info. They set it and know where the competitors are to the penny. I have acknowledged that our spend is much too small to matter.

I'm not sure about your point on creative writing
Old Apr 3, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mapsgl
We will probably spend around $350,000 in 2013 on airfare. That's not big enough to matter to "a big global airline".
Uh, yes it is enough to speak with not only DL but also AA/UA about a corporate contract rate. In fact, you may do better with AA/UA because of their ongoing problems, especially with corp contracts. Not saying your firm is anywhere near the $550 million that IBM pays for airfare but all the majors will talk to you. Some will offer better deals than others but you have enough spend to get them to listen.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-forecast.html

mapsgl it looks like yours, mine and others decisions have started to have a material effect on Delta's financials.

I have been using Spirit from ATL-DFW with no issues the past 6 months.

AS is also a good program for DL Hub captives. Capture on AA and DL flights and use on AA for better award options.

DL needs to realize that not every flyer is a whale or 1%er and as long as there are options, most will seek the optimal financial solution.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:18 am
Original Poster

We usually go in the day before

How does the extra night in a NYC city hotel fit into the financial picture?

Hi Bubba. Glad you have such an interest in a Michigan business!

To answer your question...

When we have a critical customer meeting or presenting for new business I always want the team in the day before. Anything can happen. MX WX on any airline. We factor that in.

We do same day turns on less critical meetings still allowing as much time as possible for the things that happen in the air and on the ground. We things go well and we finish early we SDC .....er "game" the system and use one the the described benefits and head back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.