Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Be Kind to Kettles! Or… “The View from 30E”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be Kind to Kettles! Or… “The View from 30E”

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
Such a great story! Maybe next time you can tell us how it was sitting near a colored person or even what it might be like to be in the same room as a homosexual. We all have airline status, its a marketing tool, its a bit different than social status or class, which most of the folks here who use the term "kettle" have neither of.
I am confused a bit .
Are your remarks aimed at my post (#33) ? How do you get to what you posted as far as what I said? Do help me out.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slidergirl
What, then, am I considered when I fly from now on? We seem to have a "term of endearment" for everyone around here
Hope you are not offended. My wife (UA 1K) and I (DL DM) call our adult kids kettles. It truly is a term of endearment, meant only as those who fly infrequently and just don't know the rules, how to play the game, what is appropriate to ask for, etc.

OTOH, you are an experienced flyer so kettle doesn't fit. Maybe you can help come up with another term for a non-status experienced flyer, eh.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Hope you are not offended. My wife (UA 1K) and I (DL DM) call our adult kids kettles. It truly is a term of endearment, meant only as those who fly infrequently and just don't know the rules, how to play the game, what is appropriate to ask for, etc.

OTOH, you are an experienced flyer so kettle doesn't fit. Maybe you can help come up with another term for a non-status experienced flyer, eh.
I'm not offended. I feel like I've landed in limbo, neither Kettle nor Medallion. Would that be "normal"
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Sez_Who

You've got it right there. Non-Status Flyer, Well-versed. Or for short . . . hmmmm, never mind.

Back to the drawing board
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Some planes have front and backs? And what's this middle seat thing? Next you'll try telling me that you can stand fully upright in this magical aircraft.

-CRJ flyer

PS funniest thread this year
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by orca15
Some planes have front and backs? And what's this middle seat thing? Next you'll try telling me that you can stand fully upright in this magical aircraft.

-CRJ flyer

PS funniest thread this year
I feel your pain fellow sore shoulder man.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
I am confused a bit .
Are your remarks aimed at my post (#33) ? How do you get to what you posted as far as what I said? Do help me out.
Directed at OP which was, at the very least condescending, if not very limited.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Thank you.

What do they say ...? " Be kind to those around you when moving up, for you are bound to meet them on your way down " !
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Yours, or the OP's?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Depends on the weather and also on whither he travels!
and whence, and wherefore!
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
and whence, and wherefore!

Whether the wether will weather the weather or whether its withers will wither, depends on whence the weather, whither the weather, and wherefore.

In FlyerTalkese: The neutered ram's ability to survive the blizzard vs. starving to death depends on where the storm came from, where the storm is going, and why.

But, we digress...back to the view from 30E

Last edited by DLFan2; Apr 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
But I learned at an early age that I should "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Originally Posted by slidergirl
What, then, am I considered when I fly from now on? We seem to have a "term of endearment" for everyone around here
I thought the term was Ham Sandwich.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Directed at OP? I assure you my comments were not meant to be condescending. I'm sincere when I say the atmosphere at the back was a refreshing change. Now I am not the guy that when sitting next to you in F, you'll want to pull out the noise-cancelling headphones and pick up a good book, b/c I appreciate my own peace and tranquility as much as anybody. Who knows, i may put the headphones on to shut you up! But maybe in the case of 30E, there was common bond as we were all stuffed in the same sardine can.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:39 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Duplicate
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by koreanair720
LOL...you should try Kettle class to PEK or PVG. There are people grilling over open coals, chickens flying all over the place...
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
What shocks me most about this story is that I thought folks in the back had to sit on crates and hold a chicken for the entire flight.
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'll never forget, years ago, flying from Iquitos Peru to Lima (Peru, not Ohio ). The old woman in front of me going thru security had a shopping bag of live chickens!
I could definitely go for that; I'd enjoy a flight with chickens in the cabin, and I wouldn't mind taking mine to the Sky Club. I'd treat them to the carrots and yogurt, but not the nuts- too much salt.

Here are Tina and Tessa, two of my girls:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.