Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
But....but....but...... you are so good at discerning the motives and meaning of others with out having any real information, I have to admit I am so disappointed........
Where can I find the "like" button for this post?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by monitor
Where can I find the "like" button for this post?
The like button was back on the October 2011 version of L4P's essentially identical response.

It must have been overlooked during the copy and paste.

Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Very true. I expect them to continue to push the revenue envelope as far as possible. Why? Because they can. There is a point where people just won't pay anymore, but apparently that point has not been reached yet.

This is what you get with oligopolies. Consolidation is great for senior execs and sometimes stockholders, but usually is not beneficial to consumers (unless you like paying higher prices for less service levels).
Yep. Well said. Much much more to come...and the US/AA merger will only make them even greedier. Anyone who doesn't believe this is in la-la land.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
April 4th and still no official announcement?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by k2
Not the same
^ you are correct.

Originally Posted by 18sas
LOL. WH?BH.

Are you talking about BtLS? Not sure if it's the same though.
No...

Originally Posted by Teamstone
They will just let the changes hit with no official announcements until after...

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by N522US
Yep. Well said. Much much more to come...and the US/AA merger will only make them even greedier. Anyone who doesn't believe this is in la-la land.
I agree. In a few years AA will likely have their act together and will be a much better competitor in NY (my home base), but for now DL is overall better and taking advantage of it. But some of these things they are doing can damage trust and goodwill among their elites. They are mistaken if they think all these moves/changes will be forgotten, e.g. they can just reverse them when the competition recovers. So in two years AA is a solid alternative, I'd be much more inclined to jump, and for me and my experience, the trust and competence (aside from in-flight) factors with Delta have started to come down after decades of flying with them (not exclusively).

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Apr 5, 2013 at 8:14 am
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by robnsfla
I wonder if anyone could shed some light on 2 scenarios....

Scenario #1...SDC is not available at all in my fare bucket for an earlier flight so I can only be added to standby list at the airport not over the phone ? true or false?

....but then how to upgrades work if I'm standing by on a coach ticket I may or may not have previously been upgraded on...yes, I give up my upgrade if I clear the earlier flight...but do I clear and get then added to the upgrade list on the new flight or do they work the upgrades just for the people orginally CONFIRMED on the new flight ?

Scenario # 2 say i'm going CAE-ATL and then ATL-FLL and the fare bucket is not available on the first leg so I standby and clear...but the fare bucket is available on the second leg...and CAE-ATL is a short flight ,can I now SDC in the 3 hour window while still on the ground in CAE ? and in the case of longer 1st leg flights once I land after the 1st leg, run to a gate and get SDC to the second leg where the bucket is available???
With regard to your first question, the standby process will likely get you a middle seat in coach on a fairly full flight. All medallions confirmed on the flight will be upgraded, then people on the standby list will be confirmed into coach, and IF there are still open FC seats, you may then be upgraded once you have been confirmed into coach.

Your second question gave me a popsicle headache!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:15 am
mdb

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Wow, what a non sequitor!

What on earth does the fact that you are not Bubba the Love Sponge have to do with the exchange between L4P and me?
Delta lovers stick together
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
A quick google search returned quite an earful for me... and led me to a better understanding of ideas expressed by at least one poster in this thread......
All I can say here is put the clues together, perform a google search, and come up with your own conclusions......
but legal.....

It's no big deal, but if my simple observation is correct, I have a better understanding of why some posts are presented as they are.
Now that I know I am ROFL.

You have discovered an example of bombast built upon a foundation of hypocrisy.

Do you suppose the individual suspects that his cover has been blown?

Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Now that I know I am ROFL.

You have discovered an example of bombast built upon a foundation of hypocrisy.

Do you suppose the individual suspects that his cover has been blown?

Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Teamstone
They'll probably say "starting April 1" pretty soon.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:46 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I bet you they gave up about it
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I bet you they gave up about it
I'll take that bet. Gave up?...don't think so. What's the latest from the DM or PM line??
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:59 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I mean are they gonna announce it on the 16th that it is starting on the 16th? seems a little late to announce it now. I bet ya they have not changed the software to adapt to this new sdc rules yet.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
The more I think the new SDC changes through...the more most of it makes since from a revenue perspective for Delta...the trick is to still balance the integrity of medallion benefits especially Diamond and Platinum benefits versres Delta's desire of increased revenue....

First from the revenue side...
1.Delta wants to hold back the last 2 or 3 Y or F seats for last minute sales at high fares...makes sense...Diamond on down can still get them by standby if they don't sell...i'm OK

2.Delta wants the masses to be able to standby and pay $50 if they clear..Diamond, Platinum, Gold clear first and for FREE..I'm OK

3.SDC confirm window opens greater than 3 hours for Diamond , Platinum and Gold and on flight with a few extra seats , for $50 you get a jump on everyone else and you get added to the upgrade list....want the headstart pay $50...
kinda OK(should possibly be free for at least Diamond..after all Diamond is supposed to have extra benefits)

4. SDC still allowed for free for Diamond, Platinum and Gold in the 3 hour window as long as there are more than a couple remaining seats left...this assumes all fare buckets open up...higher status is getting the jump on all the $50 standbys...I'm OK but it hinges on the fare buckets opening in the 3 hour window..I'm OK

Secondly, the benefits still look intact, just Delta has some additional ways to increase revenue on last day sales. The economy is better and things do change.

You have to look at this objectively from both sides...Delta should increase revenue to make it stronger and to buy new aircraft and at the same time balance out it's benefits for it's top elite flyers on down....

If Delta were to put out a chart showing the SDC benefits and standby benefits by Medallion level going forward...it would certainly provide more clarity....

Last edited by robnsfla; Apr 5, 2013 at 5:51 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.