Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Gold
Better off Flying Blue instead of SkyMiles on DL?

OK, this change might put this GM over the edge. Let's review the changes (read: downgrades) that Delta SkyMiles has implemented recently:

1) MQD's
2) Decreased MQM's in certain SkyTeam/Partner programs
3) Lack of Award space availability (or at least, visibility) on SkyTeam/Partner flights

Add to that the fact that I live in MSP and about 1/3 of my flights are with family, so my upgrade percentage is very low.

So, here's my dilemma: I got a match from my Delta GM status to *A Gold, which in turn I got Flying Blue to match at Gold status. With most of the nonstop flights ex-MSP, I'll still fly a lot of DL.

Given that, should I switch over and just earn FB miles from now on?

I'm flying with the family tomorrow, so I need to decide within 24 hours.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
This is why I never do stand by. I will wait 3 hours to fly in an aisle vs. A middle seat.
I already do SB a couple times a month and rarely wind up in a middle seat. Usually, there is someone with a good seat who has been UGd and I get that seat. Once, a couple months ago, MSP-ATL I was called off the SB list for the last seat on a flight that had ben delayed. The next flight was leaving in an hour, so I declined a middle seat for my confirmed UG on the next flight.

If it's a matter of three hours or more, I'll take the middle seat to get home/to the next location earlier. I know how to sit in a middle seat and I've survived four hour flights in middle seats. While it's not optimal, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by indufan
Nope, it is still me. And I am still pissed.
I'm beginning to feel the same way. Even if this was just a revenue grab, why take the benefit away from all Medallions? It's not well thought out.

I use SDC, and definitely not to game the system, but for legitimate reasons. And if anyone at DL thinks that standby is a replacement, they are crazy. Standby means that rather than waiting/working/relaxing in the club, I get to stand by the gate and hope at some point (likely just prior if not after boarding starts) that I might get on the plane. More than likely, overhead space will be gone by the time you clear. And if you don't clear, you get to go to the next flight and repeat! What fun! Sounds like a great travel experience for the frequent traveler. From a DM standpoint, they are calculating that they are going to greatly increase revenue, although they are taking away a very valuable perk that really doesn't cost them that much (especially since it's currently 3 hours prior to departure...do they really have that many walkups?).

If you travel on Y fares, this isn't an issue, as that's what's usually left 3 hours prior to departure on the routes I travel. But how many people really travel exclusively on Y fares?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
And if anyone at DL thinks that standby is a replacement, they are crazy. Standby means that rather than waiting/working/relaxing in the club, I get to stand by the gate and hope at some point (likely just prior if not after boarding starts) that I might get on the plane. More than likely, overhead space will be gone by the time you clear. And if you don't clear, you get to go to the next flight and repeat! What fun! Sounds like a great travel experience for the frequent traveler. From a DM standpoint, they are calculating that they are going to greatly increase revenue, although they are taking away a very valuable perk that really doesn't cost them that much (especially since it's currently 3 hours prior to departure...do they really have that many walkups?).
While sometimes I don't clear until after the plane is full, usually, I clear SB when boarding starts, and board with SKY. Even when I board last, I've never had to check my bag, even when others have been required to check before I've boarded and even when I've volunteered to check the bag. At that point, they don't want to delay take-off, so they find space for my carry-on.

Also, I know my SB chances before attempting SB. If they tell me the plane is oversold, I don't head to the airport. In those circumstances, I wasn't getting a SDC anyway. If they tell me Y is open, but I'm ticketed in the back, then I know as soon as UGs clear, I'm likely on the flight.

And there have been times I've lost the SB roulette. Particularly in DFW or RDU on a Thursday, I've waited SB for several different flights until either winding up on the flight on which I was originally booked or the one right before. It's a chance you have to be willing to take with SB, but, again, when I've taken the chance I knew the bad odds before going to the airport.

I agree DL is likely wrong to do this. DL will irk a large group of customers with little financial return. Nonetheless, as a practical matter, it isn't really likely to impact when and how I get from A to B, just timing of when I get permission to be on the earlier plane.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Funny thing is, when it does finally bottom out all they will do is slowly give back to us something that they took away, like this. In other words, what we have right now may look like a great FF program a few years from now.
I can't agree with this statement as all of the major airlines have taken away free and reintroduced as fee (I don't think they pay taxes on the fees).
What was previously free snack/lunch is now at a charge, premium seats are a charge, SDC is now at a charge, etc. etc. The fees increase for airline which helps executive bonus check. Point the finger at the management consultant who is computing the Excel spreadsheet/Powerpoint that shows if they cna charge $50 for SDC they will increase profits. That presentation will not show customer dissatisfaction and high paying customers who leave DL or shift business on principle even if the change doesn't impact them.

A business travel (unless following strict company regulations) have a choice and easily can shift to another carrier and those dollars won't be recovered as once the loyalty is lost with airlines it is hard to regain without a big perk or screw up!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
...A business travel (unless following strict company regulations) have a choice and easily can shift to another carrier and those dollars won't be recovered as once the loyalty is lost with airlines it is hard to regain without a big perk or screw up!
I did leave DL for two years when Leo was running the airline into the ground. I might have flown two flights in 30 months. It wasn't until FL took away complimentary UGs that I went back to DL. It won't just take a big perk for DL to win customers back, it will take a big perk plus an opportunity created by the other airline dropping the ball.

None of us think, "Oh, XYZ Airline is offering something new, I should switch." We all think, "DL is irking me, I need to consider switching."

Personally, I should have the MQS to requalify for PM by the end of May. At that point, I'll status match to another airline and give myself to the end of the year to decide if the grass is greener.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Might be my opinion too but fact is, DL does not care about anyone's opinion. Personally just roll my eyes with announcements like this because I know there is more coming and it will be only be worse. Been saying for two years that FF programs are sliding downhill and we still have probably another couple years of takeaways before hitting bottom.

Funny thing is, when it does finally bottom out all they will do is slowly give back to us something that they took away, like this. In other words, what we have right now may look like a great FF program a few years from now.
I don't think any "loyalty" program does. Look at the big changes Hilton made yesterday to their program. Ironically Delta is making it easier for me to move to SPG if I want with the crossover program.

In my case, I am forced to use Delta on many of my flights since all my flights originate out of DTW. I used to give southwest all my DTW/MDW and DTW/BNA flights but when they kept making changes, I finally gave up flying them altogether after RR 2 and did vote with my feet then. Refusing to fly Delta out of DTW is a lot harder than refusing to fly Southwest.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
While sometimes I don't clear until after the plane is full, usually, I clear SB when boarding starts, and board with SKY. Even when I board last, I've never had to check my bag, even when others have been required to check before I've boarded and even when I've volunteered to check the bag. At that point, they don't want to delay take-off, so they find space for my carry-on.

Also, I know my SB chances before attempting SB. If they tell me the plane is oversold, I don't head to the airport. In those circumstances, I wasn't getting a SDC anyway. If they tell me Y is open, but I'm ticketed in the back, then I know as soon as UGs clear, I'm likely on the flight.

And there have been times I've lost the SB roulette. Particularly in DFW or RDU on a Thursday, I've waited SB for several different flights until either winding up on the flight on which I was originally booked or the one right before. It's a chance you have to be willing to take with SB, but, again, when I've taken the chance I knew the bad odds before going to the airport.

I agree DL is likely wrong to do this. DL will irk a large group of customers with little financial return. Nonetheless, as a practical matter, it isn't really likely to impact when and how I get from A to B, just timing of when I get permission to be on the earlier plane.
Your experience is interesting. Most of the flights that I take have been packed, and usually have a handful of seats left (all in, including F) say an hour prior to boarding. So if you are standby, you may or may not clear...depending where you rank on the standby list. In practice, you may or may not be right (depending on any particular flight) whether or not you will get on the flight regardless, but it makes the overall travel experience far worse than being able to change within the 3 hour window regardless of the fare class into which you are booked. And of course, I would think that upgrades are out under standby (at least on the routes on which I travel).
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Your experience is interesting. Most of the flights that I take have been packed, and usually have a handful of seats left (all in, including F) say an hour prior to boarding. So if you are standby, you may or may not clear...depending where you rank on the standby list. In practice, you may or may not be right (depending on any particular flight) whether or not you will get on the flight regardless, but it makes the overall travel experience far worse than being able to change within the 3 hour window regardless of the fare class into which you are booked. And of course, I would think that upgrades are out under standby (at least on the routes on which I travel).
This is my experience, but realize, if I'm done in a city and cannot get SDC, I almost always head to the airport anyway and try for SB. This means there won't really be a change for me in terms of what I do or result. If I don't make SB, I've got no problem doing work until the next flight. It winds up being time well used, not time lost, so I don't really wind up being upset. I've taken a chance to get home early, but really lose nothing if I don't make the flight. Getting home earlier isn't something I ever really had.

This may actually wind up being a plus for DM. Suppose a GM knows she wants the earlier flight, and does a SDC three hours out. A DM shows up at the airport for his flight, finds the other flight had not yet left. Under the present rules, the DM would be out of luck, as the GM has taken the seat. Under the new rules, the DM can be added to the SB list and get on the earlier flight. For origination points like DFW, RDU, DTW, MSP, ORD, etc., with many fights a day to ATL, this can actually work in the DM's favor, if the goal is to get home earlier.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Often1
If there's one seat left on a given flight and it's grabbed by a SLUT flyer at T-3, when the Y flyer calls in looking for a seat on his fully changeable/refundable fare at T-2, there's no seat for him.
But why was there one seat available? In today's world, it's likely because a LUT flyer changed from this overbooked flight to an earlier one w/ excess capacity by utilizing SDC. That won't happen in the new world, and the flight will be overbooked, the Y flyer in your example still won't get the seat, and the first flight goes out with empty seats that could have been sold later in the day.

Really, the scenarios and hypotheticals are endless, and DL did consider these when it formulated SDC from the beginning. I don't think poor, poor DL is now suddenly shocked - shocked! - that these wily, nefarious sLUT types have started inventing ways of "gaming the system" that no one ever thought possible.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Ugh - only about 5,000 MQM to gold for me after my upcoming trips....

Delta has been pissing me off a lot lately, and I don't think I can continue to stay with them. Their crews are excellent, but this constant erosion of respect for the customer by the management is really infuriating.

SDC - I was looking forward to getting it for free as a gold, but I've paid the $50 to get me home sooner the couple of times I've been on business in MSP and just got done early and could get to the airport early. Now I can't even pay for the change.
MQD is a strange move, but it wasn't going to affect me
Drop in earnings on partner airlines - garbage
Skyclub discount lost for FO, oh well - that's why I have an AmEx (even though it makes no sense to punish those who use it the least)
The change with the transfer upon death - terrible, but I have a work around
This god-awful excuse for a website - beyond frustrating.
The insulting lack of presence of this "social media team" - just another kick in the pants to those of us who wished we could get some dialogue going about the changes
And lastly - skypesos - why are you so difficult to use??????????

I think I'll go for those extra 5000 MQM, and once I get there, go for the UA status match.

I have flown Delta nearly exclusively for as long as I can remember, but now I'm done.

Last edited by timmy83; Mar 29, 2013 at 9:31 am
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

I thought DL was trying to be the preferred airline of the business traveler? Isn't SDC one of the most important benefits to business travelers? How does this make sense?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Let me very clear here. As to whether I end up getting a earlier flight for free or for a fee is not my primary concern here. It's the complexity. Many of us here are somewhat versed in fare buckets, rules, exclusions, and the like. Even 99% of DMs aren't. And let's not even imagine what kind of mess we are going to get into with inadequately trained agents on this issue.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rylan

Remember, death by a thousand cuts. Announce a big change, then follow it up a couple months later with another change, and another etc.
I'm getting the opinion that the cuts are coming more frequently... as if Virginia Ave has figured out that everyone here has his favorite benefit and that we will be too busy bemoaning our own self-centered loss and won't be able to coordinate our outrage.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by localady
Hey CHG... Long time no talk, but there is a reason for that... DM lost value for me the year after it came out and they started making so many changes... And now they seem to be devaluing it even more than ever... I guess that's why I will be a GM next year... And I used the money that I would have spent on obtaining DM to buy a new SUV for cash...

My guess that until people talk with their money, Delta won't have to listen...
You are correct!!!!

Enjoy that SUV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.