Wiki Posts
Search

Big Changes for SDC in the works?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Really?

So you would not bother you if you had been waiting in line for 30 mins for concert tickets and someone walked in front of you and bought the last ticket?

I didn't say it wasn't following the rules, just if nothing else impolite.
If I got in line knowing that anyone who has a Super Duper Visa card can show up and go to the front of the line, it might disappoint me that the person went to the front of the line, but it would be fair, as the rules were set out when I got in the line.

There is a big difference. Not everything you don't like is unfair. Fair means the spelled out process has been followed, not that you get what you want.

Nor is it impolite if someone does what the rules allow. Haven't you ever used the blue carpet line after boarding starts? Have you ever used the elite line at a hotel to bypass the long wait in the regular line? Don't you call the medallion line at DL to avoid waiting for an agent like those that don't have status?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by CJKatl
While I'm apprehensive about speculating on something someone said someone else said, here are my thoughts....

SDC is virtually free to DL and, in fact, usually takes unsold inventory that is about to be lost and converts it into something used, while opening up later inventory that can possibly be sold or used if there is a weather or mechanical problem later in the day. The customer is happy to leave early, and DL is better off, so my thought is SDC is going to be expanded. Moving SDC to 24 hours, though, takes away DL's window to sell the seat. Three hours seems to be the point where the seat is not likely to sell, and it would almost definitely go to waste.

Also, there are constant grumblings that FO level doesn't have very many significant benefits, and those benefits have decreased in the past couple years.

Therefore, my thought is SDC is going to be expanded to all medallion levels. It gives DL the ability to offer a significant benefit to FOs at very little cost. In fact, it's a benefit that may actually also benefit DL.
I see what you're saying but the same argument has been made about other thing like advance medallion UGs vs FCM. SDCs might benefit DL but that doesn't mean they won't try to squeeze some revenue out of them anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Really?

So you would not bother you if you had been waiting in line for 30 mins for concert tickets and someone walked in front of you and bought the last ticket?

Bad analogy- here's a better one:

Are you upset if you are in the front of the regular check-in line at hotel/car rental and someone walks up the elite aisle and gets called in front of you? Were they impolite for using a published benefit?

That's a lot closer, except in this case there is the FO line, the GM line, the PM line, etc.

If you have ever gone up the sky-priority lane with regular folks in the regular lane, you have essentially done the same thing. Except you are taking their boarding position, rather than their upgrade position.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Nor is it impolite if someone does what the rules allow. Haven't you ever used the blue carpet line after boarding starts? Have you ever used the elite line at a hotel to bypass the long wait in the regular line? Don't you call the medallion line at DL to avoid waiting for an agent like those that don't have status?
Those are intended benefits and advertised as such. SDC is not meant to be a way to improve your UG's, that is just a side affect, one which it would not bother me if it was removed because the result is impolite if the only reason you SDC is to get an UG regardless of how you spin your justification.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by orca15

Are you upset if you are in the front of the regular check-in line at hotel/car rental and someone walks up the elite aisle and gets called in front of you? Were they impolite for using a published benefit?

That's a lot closer, except in this case there is the FO line, the GM line, the PM line, etc.

If you have ever gone up the sky-priority line with regular folks in the regular line, you have essentially done the same thing.
If we are both the same level and the published rules are everyone at that level is treated in a first-come, first-serve order, then that person didn't follow the rules and that is wrong. On the other hand, if the rental car counter has a policy that Super Elites get to bypass the line, and as a Regular Elite I know that is the rule, then it is NOT unfair if the Super Elite does what he is entitled to do and walks right up to the counter. I might not like it, but it isn't unfair. This is essentially what the hotels do by having an elite line for check-in. In fact, one chain once had an extremely long line, but when I valet checked my car, they were on the lookout for me and a couple other top elites and took me to the manager's office where everything was already waiting.

And yes, I have gotten in the SP line with others in the regular line. It's a published benefit and it's the way things are done at the airport. It's fair, as it is following the way things are spelled out. Others may not like it, but that doesn't make it unfair.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by orca15
Really?

If you have ever gone up the sky-priority lane with regular folks in the regular lane, you have essentially done the same thing. Except you are taking their boarding position, rather than their upgrade position.
Agree.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
(deleted pending clarification, I think it is fair that one of the official rep would address the issue)

Last edited by DLroads; Mar 28, 2013 at 4:42 pm
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:50 am

Those are intended benefits and advertised as such. SDC is not meant to be a way to improve your UG's, that is just a side affect, one which it would not bother me if it was removed because the result is impolite regardless of how you spin your justification.
I do not use SDC to improve my UG chances, but many here do. They are playing fairly within the rules. While you might not like the result, they are staying within the rules and operating fairly and politely. You keep saying it's unfair or impolite, but fail to offer a reason, other than your feelings being hurt. That doesn't equal unfairness.

Unfairness is when someone cheats or does something that shouldn't be done, not when someone does what is allowed and you don't like it. That's not a spin or a justification, it's facts with a conclusion, utilizing definitions of words. Again, you have failed to explain how it is unfair or impolite, but keep repeating it as though the more your conclusion is stated the more likely it will be true, even without any basis or explanation.

I almost always buy tickets on the last flight of the day, but SDC to an earlier flight if I get done early. This allows me an extra couple hours of sleep at the next city's hotel, or to have a couple hours at home. Even if I had to pay, I'd still likely do SDC, but the fact that it's free is one of the main reasons I stick with DL. The fact it's not free for everyone means it's more likely seats will be available.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:52 am

Those are intended benefits and advertised as such. SDC is not meant to be a way to improve your UG's, that is just a side affect, one which it would not bother me if it was removed because the result is impolite if the only reason you SDC is to get an UG regardless of how you spin your justification.
To extend your thought, though, if I choose a certain flight because of UG availability at ticket purchase, I am essentially doing the same thing. SDC just allows you to delay this decision until the last day. Just like "what time will I get in" or "how long is the layover." You pick something at ticketing, you find out circumstances change, and you SDC to choose a different set of circumstances (layover, routing, arrival time, UG availability). Your precept that SDC was meant to include the first three things on this list but not the last is opinion, since practically it allows you to choose whatever is important to you.

Note: I only SDC for earlier arrivals...but that's me.

[added] +1 on CJKatl, who obviously types faster than me.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:53 am

BTW, how is it fair to those behind you on the list that based on the published criteria, you are above them in the pecking order, but when someone else is placed above you, based on the same published pecking order, it becomes unfair? How can following the rules in one instance yield a fair result while following them in another be unfair?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
If we are both the same level and the published rules are everyone at that level is treated in a first-come, first-serve order, then that person didn't follow the rules and that is wrong. On the other hand, if the rental car counter has a policy that Super Elites get to bypass the line, and as a Regular Elite I know that is the rule, then it is NOT unfair if the Super Elite does what he is entitled to do and walks right up to the counter. I might not like it, but it isn't unfair. This is essentially what the hotels do by having an elite line for check-in. In fact, one chain once had an extremely long line, but when I valet checked my car, they were on the lookout for me and a couple other top elites and took me to the manager's office where everything was already waiting.

And yes, I have gotten in the SP line with others in the regular line. It's a published benefit and it's the way things are done at the airport. It's fair, as it is following the way things are spelled out. Others may not like it, but that doesn't make it unfair.
Where in the benefits does it say "and get that upgrade you would not have recieved on your previous flight"

Same-day Confirmed Travel
The same-day confirmed option allows you to change your flight time on the same day of travel for a fee of $50. To use the same-day confirmed option, you must confirm your new flight within 3 hours of the scheduled departure time. If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee. The same-day confirmed program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply, regardless of the date of ticket purchase.

You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights

It doesn't in fact it states the reverse if you were already upgraded on original flight

If you are a Medallion member currently confirmed for an upgrade in RU class, you will be rebooked in Economy class and need to request an upgrade for your new flight.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Going to disagree. The 3 hour rule of new flight is limiting but the ability to SDC onto a flight even if it's F1 Y1 on a P or T fare is much better than AA/UA.
I agree with you, though I note that I have had zero success with changing a P or A fare unless that inventory is available on the new flight (or unless I am wanting to be confirmed into coach.)

So in reality I rarely use SDC, but will be unhappy if the changes are negative.

David
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:58 am

Where in the benefits does it say "and get that upgrade you would not have recieved on your previous flight"

Same-day Confirmed Travel

If you are a Medallion member currently confirmed for an upgrade in RU class, you will be rebooked in Economy class and need to request an upgrade for your new flight.
Can you read? Clearly the rules state you can go back on the UG list. It doesn't say anything about going to the bottom of the list, and the rules for pecking order on the list are clearly spelled out. DM, then PM, then GM, then FO, with other specifics spelled out.

How, based on those rules, is there anything other than you go back on the UG list or that the UG list is any different than it would otherwise be? You do realize that when we SDC, we lose any cleared UG, but go back on the list, right? And that the list is not set in stone; rather it is dynamic and readjusts as people check-in and purchase seats, right?

Thanks for proving my case.

BTW, do you have the same objection if someone walks up to the counter and purchases and F seat? After all, you were first in line for that seat. Is it fair if someone follows the rules there and jumps ahead of you? Which rules should be changed for you? Is the UG list locked at some point, so you stay first? Is your being first on the list the same as you having cleared into the seat, making it unavailable for others?

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 28, 2013 at 9:04 am
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:02 am

As I said I have used SDC myself for the very reason to get an UG, which is a side affect not an intended benefit. I did feel bad for the #1 on the list but still did enjoy my PDB.

I am not trying to take any high road, just saying if they are going to take away instead of improve SDC that is one part that it would not bother me if they did.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:06 am

I think its pretty clear (as CJKatl points out) that the rules imply "it doesn't matter where you were on the UG list, or even if you have an UG, you start over." Thereby launching you into the normal UG priority. Thereby getting you an UG if you are high enough.

Question though...If I SDC out of a full flight into an empty one, and get an UG no one would have gotten, is that impolite? So do I need to ask if there are more people on the UG list than seats in order to be polite?

It's a published benefit. Not using it to help somebody else (like allowing the non-elite to go first in the hotel case) is very nice, but not doing that is not impolite.

[added] wouldn't bother me if they take it away either, since I don't do that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.