Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to fly on a 747

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Wasn't PanAm 103 over Lockerbie a 747 if memory serves?
Correctamundo. The Lockerbie plane was indeed a 747. I believe it was a 747-100
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OK so Friday Lunchtime out to IAH on United -direct and minimizes misconnect chances. Then IAH-AMS o/n Friday to arrive AMS Saturday morning. Train into the city - hotel - then Sunday morning AMS-IAH, then IAH-MCI on United. Yes this could be doable -or of course Saturday morning AMS-MAN on KLM -visit parents and children. Overnight in my UK home. Then Sunday morning my usual DL 65 MAN-ATL then to MCI. Zero vacation days (I can take a Friday flight leaving lunchtime without vacation penalty). Or to make less brutal stay in UK Sunday and take DL65 back Monday and use 1 vacation day.
I think you missed something . . . .

Originally Posted by LBJ
There's an IAH-CPT deal on KL that's currently around $825. IAH-AMS is flown by a KL 744 Combi.
It's IAH/AMS/Cape Town! After you get off in AMS, you still have abour 15 hours of flying to do on a B777!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've gotten them 100% of the time on DTW-NGO, DTW-NRT, MNL-NGO, MNL-NRT, and on KLM AMS-DEL/DEL-AMS. The KLM ones still have the interior from the 1970's, if you want a really authentic feel
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Later this year the SEA-NRT nonstop becomes a 747. It's one of the easier routes to upgrade with SWUs or miles TPAC currently. How about spending Thanksgiving weekend in Tokyo?

Another idea would be go redeem miles fast for a trip using Malaysian. They have some 747s IIRC, but they haven't been reconfigured with flat beds like DL and you can't use DL miles for their IFC.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/1.4MM, Marriott Titanium Elite, TSA Pre✓, Global Entry
The AF BOS-CDG flights are 777 in the winter and summer they add 747 and DL adds a 757. The 747 is Y upstairs and you can book for free as PM. 60a is my fav seat. Also the PVD upstairs is on demand and downstairs in Y is looping. There is also more pitch upstairs I believe. The best Y seats around IMHO.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
To get to KUL, I would open jaw one way to MNL (operated by 744), take a cheap Tiger Airways flight to SIN, and take KE on the way back from KUL.
SIN-KUL I would buy a bus ticket.
Plus, IMO the Philippines are underrated as a tourist destination.
You might want lots of space in the passport, though.
Alternately - fly to KUL on CX from SFO.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
ORD<>AMS on KL is a 744 route. I've done it a couple of times and will do this route again next Jan.

Also SFO<>AMS is a 744 at least some of the time.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mother-
Pretty sure AF does BOS-CDG once a day on a 747...
Operates on a 777 until 31 March...then 747 for summer season
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
You sound like me. Lots of miles, had never ben on the Seven-Four. Until recently -I did the ORD-IST milage run that was so cheap which had the first leg ORD-AMS on the 744 combi.

Highlight of my trip....was up to use the restroom and the Senior Purser was near. I said hello to tell her 1) how awesome their entire crew was sevice-wise and 2) how neat it was to have my first 747 flight with KLM! She asked where I was sitting and came by an hour later to take me on a tour. She showed me the rear cargo hold, the crew quarters and let me peek up into the UD quietly. What a real treat!

Best wishes to you - I hope you get your dream ride soon! I hope it is on KLM and I hope you get a tour like I did!!! WOOT!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:19 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by orr333
You sound like me. Lots of miles, had never ben on the Seven-Four. Until recently -I did the ORD-IST milage run that was so cheap which had the first leg ORD-AMS on the 744 combi.
My CHI/IST trip was . . .

CHI/DTW/SLC/CDG/IST
IST/AMS/MSP/CHI

Sorry to brag a little, but it was a simply fantastic trip and MR including 24 hours in Paris

Anyway, my KL B747 combi trip was years ago on an award ticket from TPE/BKK/TPE (remember those days when this was 20K miles?)

Anyway, the FA in the rear showed me that there was a load of live baby chicks, and some got out of their crates and were running around!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
My CHI/IST trip was . . .

CHI/DTW/SLC/CDG/IST
IST/AMS/MSP/CHI

Sorry to brag a little, but it was a simply fantastic trip and MR including 24 hours in Paris

Anyway, my KL B747 combi trip was years ago on an award ticket from TPE/BKK/TPE (remember those days when this was 20K miles?)

Anyway, the FA in the rear showed me that there was a load of live baby chicks, and some got out of their crates and were running around!
I would just fly CX in Y at a cost of $7K (which can be normal)
And I get 4 sectors.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORD-DXB is currently available for $723 roundtrip on KL.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
ORD-DXB is currently available for $723 roundtrip on KL.
And tell me exactly what is so interesting about DXB?
Just a dump in the middle of the desert which happens to be a trading post.
The food isn't cheap or good tasting like my other favorite trading Ports.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
And tell me exactly what is so interesting about DXB?
Just a dump in the middle of the desert which happens to be a trading post.
The food isn't cheap or good tasting like my other favorite trading Ports.
OP is just looking for a 744 ride and some miles with a minimal time investment. In this case, he can leave on Saturday and be back home on Monday without actually having to leave the airport at DXB and he gets a 744 on the ORD-AMS and AMS-ORD legs.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
OP is just looking for a 744 ride and some miles with a minimal time investment. In this case, he can leave on Saturday and be back home on Monday without actually having to leave the airport at DXB and he gets a 744 on the ORD-AMS and AMS-ORD legs.
The fare has a min stay requirement, therefore he must stay in DXB.
If I has to stay somewhere I would at least pick somewhere interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.