Wiki Posts
Search

Burn my miles now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Burn my miles now?

I am currently a Plat mainly based on carry over from last year.

I will NOT be a Plat after this year. Probably a Silver, unless they only step me down one level.

Anyways, with all the DL miles changes, should I be burning my miles ASAP? I have about 300k right now.

Opinions sought. Thank you.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Burn baby burn...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Unless you have some goal in mind, I would probably burn.

All this MQD and Delta-spend based *Wood earning make me think there's a major devaluation on its way. Find an excuse to take a trip and do it soon.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I was hoping to save them up for a trip to China, but thats probably next year, at the earliest. I've booked all my trips for 2013 already!!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:26 pm

While reducing one's SkyMiles balance is always a good idea given the recent direction the program has been taking, there's no reason to burn the miles on a second-choice trip. You've got all year as a PM to burn them with unlimited award changes. 300k should get you two seats in J to China or four in Y.

It's never too early to start planning and looking for low availability with Delta!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by lucycan
I was hoping to save them up for a trip to China, but thats probably next year, at the earliest. I've booked all my trips for 2013 already!!

You can book two J tickets for less than 300K. When are you thinking of going? Where will your trip originate?

The trick is to get two J tickets.

Check the Award ticket success thread
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapsgl
You can book two J tickets for less than 300K. When are you thinking of going? Where will your trip originate?

The trick is to get two J tickets.

Check the Award ticket success thread
MSP. Probably early November if in 2013. I'm not great at finding these. I'll check out the thread. Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:14 pm

No reason it has to be in 2013 -- your PM privileges may expire next March, but your award tickets will stay the same. (You'll just lose the free changes and upgrade eligibility if in domestic Y). Award tickets become available 330 (?) days out, and you'll need all the tricks in the book to snag low seats with DL.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:28 pm

MSP. Probably early November if in 2013. I'm not great at finding these. I'll check out the thread. Thanks!
Knowing that you have a goal in mind changes everything. How many tickets are you trying for? If it's just one or two, I would try (within reason) to burn as many as I can while accounting for what you gain (as a PM, you net at least 150,000 per year) down to what you need for the trip.

That said, I definitely think the devaluation is coming. I don't know that it will be as harsh as advertised, and I think many PM and DM members travelling for corporate reasons will make out well with the deal. The real key will be whether or not DL decides to go straight cash-equivalent redemption, or go more the route of the hotel programs and have a more mixed program.

Either way - best of luck with your decision
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I guess I would be trying for two BE tickets MSP to PEK in early Nov 2013 or 2014.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:56 pm

I guess I would be trying for two BE tickets MSP to PEK in early Nov 2013 or 2014.
Shoot, you can book those today!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timmy83
Shoot, you can book those today!
In J for 300k?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:58 pm

Did you burn them on the Plane Train?

ATL on fire thread!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:14 pm

In J for 300k?
Definitely. Unless you're married to the idea of using DL metal to get there. CZ offers a great redemption availability to China if you can find the domestic legs to get to LAX and then intra-asia is fairly easy!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I would use them, and no problem really in booking for early or mid 2014. You'll have PM status until Feb 28, which gives you a LOT of time for free changes to improve the itinerary. You book through early Feb now and I'd feel comfortable being able to make any necessary changes by the Feb 28 deadline booking into May/June. Getting to Asia in J from the west coast is very easy lately, especially if it's outside of KE blackout dates. Getting to the west coast on DL is the tougher one but with flexible dates you might not have a problem.

Check the great thread on redeeming SkyMiles on DL partners, usually on the first page or 2 of this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.