FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Poor Man's First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1445294-poor-mans-first-class.html)

rkb2530 Mar 6, 13 8:59 am

Poor Man's First Class
 
I find that my comfort level is much higher with an empty seat next to me. I am too cheap to pay for first and if my wife is with me, buying three coach seats is usually much cheaper than two firsts. Never done it before but it seems to me that this would be a "poor man's first class seat"

How does one go about buying an extra seat? Can it be done online or does it require a phone call?

What happens if the flight is overbooked, can you lose your extra seat?

Anything else to look out for?

aviatorzz Mar 6, 13 9:16 am

I would be concerned if there is an aircraft swap, and the three seats that were originally assigned together could potentially end up in three different parts of the aircraft. IMO not worth the extra $$ to worry about something like that happening.

There is another airline that is in the process of changing their 738s from 160 seats down to 150 seats. With that, they are blocking the middle seats (the B/E seats) in rows 16 and 17. These two rows, directly behind the exit row, are literally being blocked like C cabins in Europe.

motytrah Mar 6, 13 9:20 am

It's the old Seinfeld trick. He had a bit about booking extra seats so he wouldn't have to sit next to people (and that was before he had the TV show).

My first thought is Passenger of Size. They must have something in the system for it because they make them buy extra seats, one would assume they block the seats off somehow.

MSPeconomist Mar 6, 13 9:24 am


Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 20370872)
It's the old Seinfeld trick. He had a bit about booking extra seats so he wouldn't have to sit next to people (and that was before he had the TV show).

My first thought is Passenger of Size. They must have something in the system for it because they make them buy extra seats, one would assume they block the seats off somehow.

AFAIK there is no minimum size requirement for one to book an extra seat as a COS. It will be next to you, with moveable armrests, but keeping it next to wife also might be harder. Can two COSs share the extra seat? Don't expect to earn extra MQMs.

ND76 Mar 6, 13 10:03 am


Originally Posted by rkb2530 (Post 20370746)
I find that my comfort level is much higher with an empty seat next to me. I am too cheap to pay for first and if my wife is with me, buying three coach seats is usually much cheaper than two firsts. Never done it before but it seems to me that this would be a "poor man's first class seat"

How does one go about buying an extra seat? Can it be done online or does it require a phone call?

What happens if the flight is overbooked, can you lose your extra seat?

Anything else to look out for?

Lately what I've been trying to do when I book an EC seat is to look for a row where the aisle seat is the only one taken (hopefully the last row of EC), and then grab the window seat. I'm 3 for 3 in having the middle seat empty with this strategy. I'm too cheap to consider buying the middle seat next to me.

I was the bubble boy for an upgrade SMF-SLC and wasn't even close on SLC-DCA, but the empty middle seat and 4 extra inches of pitch (along with HOOU coupons) made the trip pleasant enough.

Flyer339 Mar 6, 13 10:03 am

Great idea. I've thought about doing this very thing.

In terms of comfort per dollar spent, adjacent EC seats are much better value than first class, IMHO.

howtofreetravel Mar 6, 13 10:42 am

I know they used to give mqm's for this a very long time ago

generaltao Mar 6, 13 10:59 am


Originally Posted by flymanbeast (Post 20371372)
I know they used to give mqm's for this a very long time ago

There was a story posted about a guy who lost his Skymiles membership because he habitually claimed MQMs for his second seat (which was occupied by a musical instrument). So no, no MQMs for the second seat.

MrMaxZorin Mar 6, 13 11:04 am

I actually downgraded myself from 1st to Premier Econ from MCI-LGA due to the config of plane ! There was more legroom in the 1st row of econ comfort!

Thomas Hudson Mar 6, 13 4:04 pm

I find this thread outrageously offensive*. Are you saying only poor people can do this?

rkb2530 Mar 6, 13 5:36 pm


Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 20373381)
I find this thread outrageously offensive*. Are you saying only poor people can do this?

It was simply a way of saying some people would like more room but find the price of seats in first to be too high. I was just exploring cost effective options.

My apologies if you were offended.

jackplum Mar 6, 13 5:46 pm

I do not think Mr Hudson was offended. At least not egregiously.

If he was offended, you would know about it in other ways!:D

Even though I usually fly up front, I do think it is a great idea. For the poor or rich or in between!

davetravels Mar 6, 13 5:47 pm


Originally Posted by rkb2530 (Post 20373875)
My apologies if you were offended.

He wasn't! It's a reference to an (intended) humorous post he made a few days ago that a couple of people didn't think was funny.

T H is one of the few people that has an unusual sense of humor, that is sometimes needed to hold the fabric of this forum together!

. . . . not to mention - Keeping us in stitches!

;)

:D

txaggie94 Mar 6, 13 5:57 pm


Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 20373923)
. . . . not to mention - Keeping us in stitches!

;)

:D

Wow! I didn't realize that it was DOCTOR Hudson! Cool!

rkb2530 Mar 6, 13 6:01 pm

[QUOTE=jackplum;20373916]I do not think Mr Hudson was offended. At least not egregiously.

My sarcasm sensor must be malfunctioning. As you were.

davetravels Mar 6, 13 6:05 pm


Originally Posted by txaggie94 (Post 20373969)
Wow! I didn't realize that it was DOCTOR Hudson! Cool!

Yeah, he keeps us in stitches, but, for some strange reason, there's never any liquor around when he is!

;)

:confused:

:D

FlyingUnderTheRadar Mar 6, 13 6:23 pm

People often buy the seat next them. I have even seen it done in FC for someone who did not want to be disturbed by a PAX beside them. If you buy a second ticket just use the name Hugh Adze and make sure GA pages you a few times :D

MSPeconomist Mar 6, 13 6:46 pm

NZ encourages this in their cuddle seats: Two people sitting in a coach section of three that turns into a small bed on long haul flights. IIRC the fare for two adults is less than three coach tickets.

ijgordon Mar 6, 13 8:40 pm

I've done this several times on DL when there were two of us traveling. Book the extra seat as LASTNAME / EXTRASEAT. Generally it's much less expensive than 2 FC seats, though if you're not elite and have to add in baggage fees and potentially EC fees, then it's a much closer equation.

SuperG1955 Mar 6, 13 8:53 pm


Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 20373923)
He wasn't! It's a reference to an (intended) humorous post he made a few days ago that a couple of people didn't think was funny.

T H is one of the few people that has an unusual sense of humor, that is sometimes needed to hold the fabric of this forum together!

. . . . not to mention - Keeping us in stitches!

;)

:D

That's because he tailors his posts to the audience.

Thomas Hudson Mar 6, 13 9:09 pm


Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 20374788)
That's because he tailors his posts to the audience.

I'll be here all week... Try the prime rib....

krpjr Mar 6, 13 9:20 pm


Originally Posted by rkb2530 (Post 20370746)
I find that my comfort level is much higher with an empty seat next to me. I am too cheap to pay for first and if my wife is with me, buying three coach seats is usually much cheaper than two firsts. Never done it before but it seems to me that this would be a "poor man's first class seat"

How does one go about buying an extra seat? Can it be done online or does it require a phone call?

What happens if the flight is overbooked, can you lose your extra seat?

Anything else to look out for?

Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!

Greysword Mar 6, 13 10:19 pm

Can't the GA bump the invisible person in the seat? If that happens, how do the involuntary boarding rules apply? :D

CalVol Mar 6, 13 10:50 pm


Originally Posted by Greysword (Post 20375088)
Can't the GA bump the invisible person in the seat? If that happens, how do the involuntary boarding rules apply? :D

Let's say you agree to a VDB for that seat, or for all 3...what name will attach to the voucher?

WhiskeyBravo Mar 7, 13 1:18 am


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20370898)
AFAIK there is no minimum size requirement for one to book an extra seat as a COS. It will be next to you, with moveable armrests, but keeping it next to wife also might be harder. Can two COSs share the extra seat? Don't expect to earn extra MQMs.

But surely MQD's!

jzoz01 Mar 7, 13 7:20 am


Originally Posted by aviatorzz (Post 20370848)
I would be concerned if there is an aircraft swap, and the three seats that were originally assigned together could potentially end up in three different parts of the aircraft. IMO not worth the extra $$ to worry about something like that happening.

Makes me wonder if you could VDB the "extra seat" you purchased in an oversold situation.

Yoshi212 Mar 7, 13 8:12 am

I usually buy 2 seats when doing transcons in Y which isn't all that often but about once a year. I usually go up to the gate agent to confirm that my extra seat is next to mine. Twice I have been offered a seat in F or J to give up my two seats because it's a better result than upgrading someone on the upgrade waitlist. SUCKERS.

MSPeconomist Mar 7, 13 8:29 am


Originally Posted by johnm1019 (Post 20375589)
But surely MQD's!

I don't think so. YMMV.

mrredskin Mar 7, 13 8:33 am


Originally Posted by krpjr (Post 20374890)
Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!

never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

jb008 Mar 7, 13 8:44 am


Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 20376991)
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

Unless you're not fat and instead significantly taller and broader than the average population that seats were designed for. (e.g., typical college level college bball player build)

aviatorzz Mar 7, 13 8:46 am


Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 20376991)
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

Haha. I think it was a freefall when dodgeball was removed from gym class. Parents were afraid their skittle chomping, mountain dew slurping child might get hurt. From this, participation trophies started appearing. You got a freaking trophy for just showing up. Then a few years later, a school district in California decided to "outlaw" red pens for fear that the student might have the answer wrong. Somewhere along the way, excuses started to outnumber .......s and now it's anyone's fault but their own and if you don't apologize for calling that person out on it, it becomes a PC term and another law is passed because someone's feelings were hurt.

But yeah, I like having a middle seat free.

Pipster Mar 7, 13 9:01 am


Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 20376991)
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

You aren't required to use any particular terminology. I believe it is used in an attempt to be polite. A quaint, old-fashioned idea, I know ...

rkb2530 Mar 7, 13 9:02 am


Originally Posted by krpjr (Post 20374890)
Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!

My wife wants me to lose weight but I get the armrest down just fine.:p

krpjr Mar 7, 13 7:38 pm


Originally Posted by jb008 (Post 20377094)
Unless you're not fat and instead significantly taller and broader than the average population that seats were designed for. (e.g., typical college level college bball player build)

I can proudly tell you that I'm 188lbs, 182lbs which is lean muscle, with roughly 5.95% body fat and 6lbs of fat. I have a 30 inch waste, however, I had shoulders like The Rock from WWE or 'Dwayne Johnson' for those to don't know him by the rock. The guy that makes brainless films. However, I fit in all airline seats just fine.

And no, I don't want a date!


Originally Posted by aviatorzz (Post 20377114)
Haha. I think it was a freefall when dodgeball was removed from gym class. Parents were afraid their skittle chomping, mountain dew slurping child might get hurt. From this, participation trophies started appearing. You got a freaking trophy for just showing up. Then a few years later, a school district in California decided to "outlaw" red pens for fear that the student might have the answer wrong. Somewhere along the way, excuses started to outnumber .......s and now it's anyone's fault but their own and if you don't apologize for calling that person out on it, it becomes a PC term and another law is passed because someone's feelings were hurt.

But yeah, I like having a middle seat free.

I think dodge ball was removed from gym class because of arseholes like me, no shame here! I was determined to whip that ball hard as ever at you, possibly your head too. I was 'that guy' that always did jumps, twist, and bends to 'dodge' the ball. You know, the whole concept of the activity!


Originally Posted by rkb2530 (Post 20377226)
My wife wants me to lose weight but I get the armrest down just fine.:p

Duh, it improves sex immensely. Just imagine increased stamina with 20lbs less. You'll have your wife...nevermind :D. Enjoy your flight and safe travels!!!

5khours Mar 9, 13 9:35 pm

I used to regularly book 4 seats across the middle on TPACs. A lot cheaper and more comfortable than the sliders in J. Not a problem at all. Just make sure you're not in a bulkhead with non-moveable armrests. You only get mileage credit for one seat.

Detroiter Mar 9, 13 10:19 pm


Originally Posted by Pipster (Post 20377217)
You aren't required to use any particular terminology. I believe it is used in an attempt to be polite. A quaint, old-fashioned idea, I know ...

Yeah, my Mom brought me up to be polite, too. But I always figure there's a certain percentage of people a) whose moms said, "hell yeah, make fun of people; it'll make you feel better", or, b) decided Mom was a wuss anyway, and what did she know about life.

troyintn Mar 10, 13 7:09 am


Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20392528)
I used to regularly book 4 seats across the middle on TPACs. A lot cheaper and more comfortable than the sliders in J. Not a problem at all. Just make sure you're not in a bulkhead with non-moveable armrests. You only get mileage credit for one seat.

good idea.

twtrvl Mar 10, 13 3:47 pm


Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20392528)
I used to regularly book 4 seats across the middle on TPACs. A lot cheaper and more comfortable than the sliders in J. Not a problem at all. Just make sure you're not in a bulkhead with non-moveable armrests. You only get mileage credit for one seat.

Any trouble keeping your block of seats together?

MSPeconomist Mar 10, 13 4:10 pm


Originally Posted by krpjr (Post 20380761)
I can proudly tell you that I'm 188lbs, 182lbs which is lean muscle, with roughly 5.95% body fat and 6lbs of fat. I have a 30 inch waste, however, I had shoulders like The Rock from WWE or 'Dwayne Johnson' for those to don't know him by the rock. The guy that makes brainless films. However, I fit in all airline seats just fine.

And no, I don't want a date!



I think dodge ball was removed from gym class because of arseholes like me, no shame here! I was determined to whip that ball hard as ever at you, possibly your head too. I was 'that guy' that always did jumps, twist, and bends to 'dodge' the ball. You know, the whole concept of the activity!



Duh, it improves sex immensely. Just imagine increased stamina with 20lbs less. You'll have your wife...nevermind :D. Enjoy your flight and safe travels!!!

Brain exercise: 6 pounds of body fat out of 188 is 3.19%, not 5.95? BTW, do your bones and organs not weigh something. You can't be all lean muscle and body fat with nothing else. Don't you have any blood?

5khours Mar 10, 13 4:53 pm


Originally Posted by twtrvl (Post 20396071)
Any trouble keeping your block of seats together?

Nope, but you get some glares from other pax when the flight is otherwise totally full.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:05 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.