Wiki Posts
Search

Poor Man's First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
Poor Man's First Class

I find that my comfort level is much higher with an empty seat next to me. I am too cheap to pay for first and if my wife is with me, buying three coach seats is usually much cheaper than two firsts. Never done it before but it seems to me that this would be a "poor man's first class seat"

How does one go about buying an extra seat? Can it be done online or does it require a phone call?

What happens if the flight is overbooked, can you lose your extra seat?

Anything else to look out for?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I would be concerned if there is an aircraft swap, and the three seats that were originally assigned together could potentially end up in three different parts of the aircraft. IMO not worth the extra $$ to worry about something like that happening.

There is another airline that is in the process of changing their 738s from 160 seats down to 150 seats. With that, they are blocking the middle seats (the B/E seats) in rows 16 and 17. These two rows, directly behind the exit row, are literally being blocked like C cabins in Europe.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:20 am

It's the old Seinfeld trick. He had a bit about booking extra seats so he wouldn't have to sit next to people (and that was before he had the TV show).

My first thought is Passenger of Size. They must have something in the system for it because they make them buy extra seats, one would assume they block the seats off somehow.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by motytrah
It's the old Seinfeld trick. He had a bit about booking extra seats so he wouldn't have to sit next to people (and that was before he had the TV show).

My first thought is Passenger of Size. They must have something in the system for it because they make them buy extra seats, one would assume they block the seats off somehow.
AFAIK there is no minimum size requirement for one to book an extra seat as a COS. It will be next to you, with moveable armrests, but keeping it next to wife also might be harder. Can two COSs share the extra seat? Don't expect to earn extra MQMs.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by rkb2530
I find that my comfort level is much higher with an empty seat next to me. I am too cheap to pay for first and if my wife is with me, buying three coach seats is usually much cheaper than two firsts. Never done it before but it seems to me that this would be a "poor man's first class seat"

How does one go about buying an extra seat? Can it be done online or does it require a phone call?

What happens if the flight is overbooked, can you lose your extra seat?

Anything else to look out for?
Lately what I've been trying to do when I book an EC seat is to look for a row where the aisle seat is the only one taken (hopefully the last row of EC), and then grab the window seat. I'm 3 for 3 in having the middle seat empty with this strategy. I'm too cheap to consider buying the middle seat next to me.

I was the bubble boy for an upgrade SMF-SLC and wasn't even close on SLC-DCA, but the empty middle seat and 4 extra inches of pitch (along with HOOU coupons) made the trip pleasant enough.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DYKWIA
Great idea. I've thought about doing this very thing.

In terms of comfort per dollar spent, adjacent EC seats are much better value than first class, IMHO.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:42 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I know they used to give mqm's for this a very long time ago
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I know they used to give mqm's for this a very long time ago
There was a story posted about a guy who lost his Skymiles membership because he habitually claimed MQMs for his second seat (which was occupied by a musical instrument). So no, no MQMs for the second seat.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: Continental Platinum Elite, Delta Platinum Elite, SPG Gold,Global Entry, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I actually downgraded myself from 1st to Premier Econ from MCI-LGA due to the config of plane ! There was more legroom in the 1st row of econ comfort!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I find this thread outrageously offensive*. Are you saying only poor people can do this?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I find this thread outrageously offensive*. Are you saying only poor people can do this?
It was simply a way of saying some people would like more room but find the price of seats in first to be too high. I was just exploring cost effective options.

My apologies if you were offended.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
I do not think Mr Hudson was offended. At least not egregiously.

If he was offended, you would know about it in other ways!

Even though I usually fly up front, I do think it is a great idea. For the poor or rich or in between!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rkb2530
My apologies if you were offended.
He wasn't! It's a reference to an (intended) humorous post he made a few days ago that a couple of people didn't think was funny.

T H is one of the few people that has an unusual sense of humor, that is sometimes needed to hold the fabric of this forum together!

. . . . not to mention - Keeping us in stitches!

Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by davetravels
. . . . not to mention - Keeping us in stitches!

Wow! I didn't realize that it was DOCTOR Hudson! Cool!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=jackplum;20373916]I do not think Mr Hudson was offended. At least not egregiously.

My sarcasm sensor must be malfunctioning. As you were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.