Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Refundable Ticket - What is the safe time window to cancel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:28 am
Original Poster

As in the title, I'm gonna purchase a Delta refundable ticket this week. The actual flight will be in this August. So if I change my mind, do I need to cancel before a certain date to get the full refund?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kn9ght
As in the title, I'm gonna purchase a Delta refundable ticket this week. The actual flight will be in this August. So if I change my mind, do I need to cancel before a certain date to get the full refund?
Read the fare rules carefully. Note that refundable tickets now can have fees associated with them.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What do the fare conditions say? People on FT can tell you their general experiences, but the only place you can find out whether there are restictions on time of cancellation are in the fare conditions for the specific ticket which you purchased.

Generally, anytime will do. But I stress "generally" and wouldn't rely on it myself if I were in your shoes.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can cancel with no penalty regardless of the ticket fare rules up until midnight of the day after your purchase. After that it is based on the rules, and as mentioned above make sure to check since there are some refundable tickets that have a cancel fee associated.

Otherwise, a fully refundable ticket you can cancel up until prior to departure, though I wouldn't wait until the last minute.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:40 am
Original Poster

When I clicked on the "change & cancellation policies", this is the cancellation part:

CANCELLATIONS

CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED.
NOTE -
-NO SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE IMPOSED FOR MILITARY
PASSENGERS WHEN TRANSPORTATION IS PAID WITH A
U.S. GOVERNMENT TRANSPORTATION REQUEST FORM
NO. 1169.
-LOST PAPER TICKET CHARGE USD100.00
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
When I clicked on the "change & cancellation policies", this is the cancellation part:

CANCELLATIONS

CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED.
NOTE -
-NO SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE IMPOSED FOR MILITARY
PASSENGERS WHEN TRANSPORTATION IS PAID WITH A
U.S. GOVERNMENT TRANSPORTATION REQUEST FORM
NO. 1169.
-LOST PAPER TICKET CHARGE USD100.00
What is the fare basis, route and date you are looking at?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Read the fare rules carefully. Note that refundable tickets now can have fees associated with them.
Originally Posted by Often1
What do the fare conditions say? People on FT can tell you their general experiences, but the only place you can find out whether there are restictions on time of cancellation are in the fare conditions for the specific ticket which you purchased.

Generally, anytime will do. But I stress "generally" and wouldn't rely on it myself if I were in your shoes.
I copied the cancellation part above. To be honest, it is still vague to me

Originally Posted by rylan
You can cancel with no penalty regardless of the ticket fare rules up until midnight of the day after your purchase. After that it is based on the rules, and as mentioned above make sure to check since there are some refundable tickets that have a cancel fee associated.

Otherwise, a fully refundable ticket you can cancel up until prior to departure, though I wouldn't wait until the last minute.
Too bad, I'm not sure about my schedule until July. That's why I want to buy a refundable ticket to be safe. Guess I can wait till July and book then?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
What is the fare basis, route and date you are looking at?
The fare code is MA00A0RP. RDU-JFK Aug 14.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Too bad, I'm not sure about my schedule until July. That's why I want to buy a refundable ticket to be safe. Guess I can wait till July and book then?
IMO, if you are willing to pay full fare (which is what most refundable tickets are) there is no incentive to book this early.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It doesn't make sense to me to purchase a refundable ticket this early and give DL free use of your money. Unless there's a big event and you're concerned about being able to obtain seats in the flights you want later, something like Superbowl, political,party conventions, Presidential inaugurations, etc., you can get the same ticket later except for perhaps the risk that airlines will implement across the board fare increases of ten dollars or so. Are you anticipating a travel freeze within your organization?

Check the fare rules very carefully. IMO M fares are not FULLY refundable.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
IMO, if you are willing to pay full fare (which is what most refundable tickets are) there is no incentive to book this early.
Yeah I guess so. But let's say for some reason I have to book early, can I cancel in the following month and get the full refund?
The fare code is MA00A0RP. RDU-JFK Aug 14 if it helps
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked it up on EF. That ticket and fare sure looks to be no penalty change and fully refundable to me. Note there are two other M fares filed that are NOT refundable, so if you purchase make sure you get the MA00A0RP you mentioned.

You can cancel up to day of departure and get a refund back to your credit card.

As a side note, I've seen H fares recently that are fully refundable also. All depends on the fare that DL is selling.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
I looked it up on EF. That ticket and fare sure looks to be no penalty change and fully refundable to me. Note there are two other M fares filed that are NOT refundable, so if you purchase make sure you get the MA00A0RP you mentioned.

You can cancel up to day of departure and get a refund back to your credit card.

As a side note, I've seen H fares recently that are fully refundable also. All depends on the fare that DL is selling.
Thank you so much for your information. Sorry for my noob question but can you tell me what EF is?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExpertFlyer
They have a free/trail/paid service to view inventory, fares, and set alerts for things like upgrade availability.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Check the fare rules very carefully. IMO M fares are not FULLY refundable.
Any fare class may be fully refundable. Obviously higher fare classes are more likely to be refundable. I have definitely seen K fares refundable and I think I even saw an L refundable once. Lower refundables are usually in competition with WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.