Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Winter advisory DC Wednesday -will I be able to rebook award seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Scheduled to fly to LAX Wednesday night IAD-ATL-LAX
Rarely fly Delta - expecting to see Delta permitting no change fee rescheduling if the storm becomes even more imminent .
Will I be able to reschedule my award seat with the same priority as paid tix or will I need to find available award space?
Thanks from a UAL flyer
Linda

Last edited by naxos; Mar 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:11 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by naxos
Scheduled to fly to LAX Wednesday night IAD-ATL-LAX
Rarely fly Delta - expecting to see Delta permitting no change few rescheduled if the storm becomes even more imminent .
Will I be able to reschedule my award seat with the same priority as paid tix or will I need to find available award space?
Thanks from a UAL flyer
Linda
If they post a weather waiver you will be able to change to another flight/routing provided there is space in your ticketed cabin. Award space does not matter during IROPs.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your prompt reply
Linda
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Not so easy to change and rebook my award ticket-
Been told that my mileage award ticket was booked at 25000 and the only seats available are for more miles - ( these are my orphan miles so have no more)
That's why I never fly delta
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL GM; AA; UA; BA
Not so easy to change and rebook my award ticket-
Been told that my mileage award ticket was booked at 25000 and the only seats available are for more miles - ( these are my orphan miles so have no more)
That's why I never fly delta
Have they posted a weather waiver? If not, you are probably premature in attempting a change and they are viewing it as a voluntary change, and not one due to weather.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

This is what is posted on the Delta site
I thought this was the weather advisory/ waiver
The UAL site is clearer

A winter storm will impact travel to, from or through the Mid-Atlantic region (see below). Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute info about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your wireless device or email with Delta Messenger.
RESCHEDULING FLIGHTS
If your flight is canceled or significantly delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following destination(s) on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.
You can now edit your itinerary here at delta.com, or you may contact Reservation Sales to make changes to your itinerary. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.
Affected Destination(s) (To / From / Through)
Impacted Travel Date(s)

Ticket must be Reissued On or Before

Rebooked Travel must begin no later than

When rescheduled travel occurs beyond March 11, 2013, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Charlottesville, VA (CHO)
Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Washington, DC–Reagan National (DCA)
Washington, DC–Dulles (IAD)
Mar 5-6, 2013
Mar 11, 2013
Mar 11, 2013
CONDITIONS & RESTRICTIONS
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

Last edited by naxos; Mar 4, 2013 at 6:40 pm
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:04 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Call back and get another agent. The weather waiver should allow you to change to another flight with availability.

Maybe start the call with "I see a weather waiver for IAD has been posted and I would like to change my flights as I am impacted to ..." then have the new flights you want in mind.

Out of curiosity, when did you call? It's possible that the agent hadn't seen the weather waiver yet. It was posted at 5:30 eastern.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Exactly how I started the call- and I asked for the earliest flight for the next morning- the agent read the site posting to me and emphasized the following:

CONDITIONS & RESTRICTIONS
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

I called another agent - started out the same way but she offered to contact customer service for me to request an EXCEPTION and after 10 more minutes of waiting the exception was granted
Thank you for your help
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

By the way. I called at 7:15- after the advisory was posted-
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Although not an award ticket I called last night 4hrw prior to take-off to BOS via MSP and at first the girl told me she couldn't change me flight to go through ATL because the rule stated that there needed to be a matching available date on the new flight--yeah...like there is gonna be a T fare same day! LoL!

Anyway....I told her to check again....3-4 mins later she came back on and weather allows changes with ZERO fees if booked within their window, which is no later than March 10 according to the weather announcement last night.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:43 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way. I called at 7:15- after the advisory was posted-
Glad you were able to get it rebooked. Out of curiosity, what were your original dates and what did you try to change it to?

If you changed dates within the specified dates and didn't change your origination and destination there shouldn't be a change in fare.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:38 am
Original Poster

I was originally booked to depart IAD-ATL-LAX March 6 in the evening and asked to reschedule to March 7 in the morning - same exact itin
Not sure why I needed an "exception" or an argument .
In contrast, The UAL site specifically says no change fee or fare increase for their weather advisory rebookings.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:02 am

If you read the waiver carefully it only says that they will waive change fees not fare differences. So if you paid $250 (or 25,000 miles) initially but the new itinerary is now $400 (or 40,000 miles) you will not have to pay the change fee or mile redopsit/reissue fee but you will have to pay the $150 or 15,000 mile fare difference. Fortunately you received an exception
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:12 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
If you read the waiver carefully it only says that they will waive change fees not fare differences. So if you paid $250 (or 25,000 miles) initially but the new itinerary is now $400 (or 40,000 miles) you will not have to pay the change fee or mile redopsit/reissue fee but you will have to pay the $150 or 15,000 mile fare difference. Fortunately you received an exception
That's not correct. The difference in fare only applies when booking travel beyond their stated rebook date which in this case was 3/11. The OP shouldn't have needed an exception.

When rescheduled travel occurs beyond March 11, 2013, the change fee will be waived. However, a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by end of ticket validity, one year from date of original issue.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta PM

I had a KLM T fare for Wednesday IAD-AMS-IST. Called as soon as the weather advisory was posted and they rebooked me on Thursday AF flight, M fare IAD-CDG-IST. Didn't have to pay anything. Also changed my return flight from Sunday to Monday. It is now a KLM Y fare IST-AMS-IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.