Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giving Up

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
View from a Once and Future Kettle

For the last few years I've managed to rise through the elite ranks based on leisure travel and, yes, the hated credit card spending. Finding ways to accrue MQMs with limited vacation time became an addictive hobby. I rarely bothered with MRs, but I took far more 3- or 4-day trips to the West Coast and Europe than any sane person should.

It was fun but exhausting. Last fall, with rumors of this spend-based change coming, I decided it was time to rejoin the ranks of the kettles and take fewer, longer vacations on the cheapest flights. I shifted my spending to other cards and haven't been on a plane since October. I'll slip to GM status in March, and it's not certain I'll even be an FO for 2014. I'll still favor Delta when possible because I like the product and because they've built up so much in NYC, but it might be nice to sample the competition.

The MQD announcement made it clear I made the right decision. There was no year I spent enough to make GM status, let alone PM, although my credit card spending would have exempted me in 2010, 2011, and 2012. I'm the type of customer Delta likes to have, as opposed to losing to another carrier, but it seems my business doesn't deserve quite the level of benefits they've been giving me.

I don't feel bitter or cheated about the change because I knew I couldn't maintain status forever. I've spent a small fortune, to me at least, on discretionary travel, but I've had a great record of upgrades on short hops, a good but diminishing record on long-haul trips, and even four operational upgrades over the years. Plus I've earned a ton of SkyMiles with promotions and elite bonuses (which, for reasons obvious to anyone here, have mostly gone toward hotels and gift cards).

For those of you who travel for work, I hope this change brings you the benefits you deserve for all the time in airports. While I don't think my limited flying has cost many BIS elites an upgrade, no doubt there will soon be fewer elites like me competing with you.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mrredskin
Several years ago, I'd disagree. Now, with credit cards giving you somewhat of a "bronze" status, you can still get a few perks to keep extra costs down.

I think the credit cards play a huge role in this, along with the new Sheraton tie. It is honestly the same as being a FO/ GM. Does anyone get excited about being 50'th on the UPG list.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by troyintn
Does anyone get excited about being 50'th on the UPG list.
Even as a GM, I have never been in the 50's, even on the elite heavy routes leaving ATL.

I fly right about 50k BIS on my own dime for leisure. I have not computed my spend for 2012, but am monitoring for2013. Will I leave delta, probably not. But i will not be shy about purchasing a ticket on another carrier for hundreds less instead of getting gouged by delta. It is a shame, as I have been a SM member for over 20 years.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
I must say I also concur with the OP. Although I am a DM, I fly primarily TPAC routes 4 to 6 times a year, MNL>PIT>MNL, on M fares and use my SWU's to fly in BE.

I live in MNL and fly very little domestically in the US. My schedule is always fairly flexible so I normally had no issues using EF and finding Z to use my SWU's.

Flying 4-5 TPACS, on an M fare with the 50% MQM bonus I can reach DM fairly easily and also meet the MQD, now, with the M fare no longer earning the 50% bonus it becomes much harder to reach the 125K threshold. AMEX does me no good here in the Philippines.

I think its time for me to start looking at UA or AA for my TPAC trips and stop giving my loyalty to DL.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: DLDime & MM - Marriott LifePlat - Hertz Prez - Hyatt Dissapointedist
Thank you OP and all for a common sense thread and the civility of response. Nice. This post makes me take pause and consider my choices. Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum (Sigh), all others as well......
I'm with you guys!

I now fly mostly regional routes, so upgrades are not offered most of the time. And I have found a regional carrier that fits my needs better than Delta.
I now fly Provincial Air out of Montreal a lot and have grown to love their Dash 8's. They have more seat pitch than many mainlines!

They treat every seat like first class, from hot towels to food on every flight.
No points or miles, just good, friendly service on comfortable planes.

I stopped chasing miles last year. I'm still FO on Delta, but will probably drop to kettle next year.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
My guess is that it will mostly be the Silver and Gold Medallions that will stop playing the game. As a result, there would be a minimal influence on upgrade probabilities as you still would be in competition with Plats and Diamonds.
Yup.

Gold was nice, especially the additional mile bonus. However, it's gotten much harder to use those miles TPAC/TATL in J....so the thrill is gone.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by craig44485
I must say I also concur with the OP. Although I am a DM, I fly primarily TPAC routes 4 to 6 times a year, MNL>PIT>MNL, on M fares and use my SWU's to fly in BE.

I live in MNL and fly very little domestically in the US. My schedule is always fairly flexible so I normally had no issues using EF and finding Z to use my SWU's.

Flying 4-5 TPACS, on an M fare with the 50% MQM bonus I can reach DM fairly easily and also meet the MQD, now, with the M fare no longer earning the 50% bonus it becomes much harder to reach the 125K threshold. AMEX does me no good here in the Philippines.

I think its time for me to start looking at UA or AA for my TPAC trips and stop giving my loyalty to DL.
if you do not reside in the US then you are exempt from MQD qualification. Obviously there still is the M fare MQM issue though.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC E50k
[QUOTE]
Air Canada? Their service is excellent, I'd pick them in a heartbeat over United.[QUOTE]

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Do you know if they offer something like Y+ or EC?
Be careful and read this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...77-300ers.html before making this move! Yes, AC will be offering Y+ but their regular Y cabin is becoming a Y- !
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
To those having this understandable debate, I'd look at AS...can fly AS, DL, or AA and still benefit...at least to some degree I think.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by calrick
Thank you OP and all for a common sense thread and the civility of response. Nice. This post makes me take pause and consider my choices. Thank you.
+1. After 15 years, I'm coming to the same conclusion of the OP although not sure I could ever get on Air Greyhound again (WN). That might push me over the edge......
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:14 am

I'm sorry, but I don't feel bad for those doing MRs and then complaining that Delta/any other airline is screwing its most loyal customers by changing program terms. If the airline is in the business of making money, you can bet that they'll change these programs to benefit them.

Forget loyalty, it's every man for themselves. Get yours and move on to the next thing.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: Continental Platinum Elite, Delta Platinum Elite, SPG Gold,Global Entry, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I hear you! The "benefits" are becoming useless. As Delta have doled out so many FF points with new affinity credit cards, the points are devalued and that is if you can find a flight with "open" seats to purchase with miles, use your upgrade certificates etc...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I posted something similar back in November http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...1040-heck.html (but didn't make the cover of FT) I already have flown Pegasus airlines this year and have flights booked on Easyjet because they are cheaper (by a lot) despite not getting me status and have found the experience to be just the same if not better than the mainline carriers.

That said, there is still the tradeoff of a $1000 nonstop ticket from TLV-CDG vs. $475 on Pegasus through SAW, but even then, it's not worth the extra $525.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by NYTA
I posted something similar back in November http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...1040-heck.html (but didn't make the cover of FT) I already have flown Pegasus airlines this year and have flights booked on Easyjet because they are cheaper (by a lot) despite not getting me status and have found the experience to be just the same if not better than the mainline carriers.

That said, there is still the tradeoff of a $1000 nonstop ticket from TLV-CDG vs. $475 on Pegasus through SAW, but even then, it's not worth the extra $525.
Perhaps the crowd in the US forum is different from those of us here in the DL forum...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.