Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The new Fly Delta for Android is here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Thank you,

Toyed with it around for some time. Have a trip upcoming next month so can't really comment on how it works 'live'.

Nice clear lettertype on a blue backgound...easy to read on my Galaxy S2. Everything easy available together (seat selection, trip extra's mobile boarding pass setc) on one screen when clicking the flight @my trips.
Like the ability to select EC seats, added SM info and flight status.

Still clueless when looking at My wallet-> receipts and detailed Tax information what all those letters mean (same codes as on delta.com):

Fare: 1.597,00 EUR
Tax: 352,11 TX
Total: 1.949,11 EUR
Paid with UATP ending xxxx
Detailed Tax Information
AY 5,64
CJ 12,93
RN 15,19
US 12,91
US 12,91
VV 2,00
XA 3,76
XF 3,38
XY 5,26
YC 4,13
YR 274,00
Total: 352,11

Also noted that going to:
Travelling with Delta -> Airports: Airports near you: CDG/ORY or Charles De Gaulle Intl Arpt...Really???

Being dutch I rather would fly from AMS or BRU or DUS instead of one of those two french airports....after a 6 hour car drive to them
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:57 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta Air Lines
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Same thing here. HTC Incredible on Verizon.
Originally Posted by gooselee
Freezing in a few places on Verizon Galaxy Nexus for me, too. Login sometimes requires me to force close and restart the app.

When pulling up an itinerary, it very often hangs on the spinner that says loading trip extras. And the app completely crashes when I try to load the upgrade list.

Other minor bug (or maybe I just missed it) - the old used to save checked bag info when you scan the barcode, and the new one doesn't seem to retain it. I have to rescan or reenter the bag # each time.
A few things here, so let me try and get them one by one:

For logging in, are people seeing that it never advances to the next screen? We're trying to recreate it, but haven't been able too.

And for the long hang of pulling up an itinerary, which screen are you seeing it on? Just so I know what you all are talking about, I tend to break the screens down this way:
Home - this is the one that displays your name at the top (when you're logged in) with the buttons to view your trips, book a flight, etc.
List Trips - this is the one that has the toggle between the list of trips and the calendar view of your trips
Trip Overview - This is the one that has the destination for each of the itineraries in your PNR listed out, displays any trip extras you've purchased (such as wi-fi), etc.
Flight Details - This is where you see all the information about a particular itinerary with detailed information of each segment, passenger information, etc.

As far as saved bag scans, the recent searches for that has moved. To access them now you'll get them from the menu on your device (if you have a phone that was built just for version 4.0 or higher, it's the three little buttons aligned vertically at the bottom right of the screen). You can also find recent searches using the menu option in flight status and flight schedules.

When it comes to the crashes when it comes to viewing the upgrade standby list, we're looking for the cause of it and hope to have a solution soon.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM
I like the updates! Thank you!

Small issues/problems:

This flight is operated by DL (Flt 264) , not KLM

The receipts would be much more helpful with the destination listed, not just my home airport twice.

Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Skymiles PM
Check-in times are off ...

My math's not the best, but something doesn't quite add up here.

Last edited by pnickinson; Feb 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Thanks for digging in Danny! Have another flight tomorrow and will try to verify these, but from what I remember:

Originally Posted by Danny_DeltaeCommerce
For logging in, are people seeing that it never advances to the next screen? We're trying to recreate it, but haven't been able too.
Not every time, but occasionally when launching the app it'll go to the Delta splashscreen (where "Delta" fades) in, then go to a screen where I can see my saved login info with "Just a moment, logging in..." spinning. Sometimes I'll be logged in and looking at the Home screen within 5 seconds or so. Sometimes it'll take longer, 10-15 seconds. And other times I've just waited until my screen times out (1 minute). When I turn the phone back on, I'm back on my phone's homescreen, and when I restart the app it's back at the opening splashscreen.

I'd say I'm at about 50/25/25 for # of times it logs in fine, takes a little longer, times out.

And for the long hang of pulling up an itinerary, which screen are you seeing it on?
On the home screen, my upcoming trip shows up in a white box under "My Trips", with text showing the destination city and the red "View Boarding Pass" button. When I tap on the city, it takes me to Trip Overview, but the screen is initially grayed out and I get a spinner with "Just a moment - loading your information". Then it blinks to "Just a moment, loading trip extras". Loading trip extras takes an extremely long time (almost always more than 10 seconds, even on a strong 4G connection), and sometimes spins until my screen turns off as with the login sequence above.

The same thing SOMETIMES happens when going from Trip Overview to Flight Details, or from Seat Selection back to Flight Details, but not very often and it may have been a connection thing those couple times.

As far as saved bag scans, the recent searches for that has moved. To access them now you'll get them from the menu on your device
Aha! I just wasn't looking there - thanks!

When it comes to the crashes when it comes to viewing the upgrade standby list, we're looking for the cause of it and hope to have a solution soon.
Thanks! For my flight tomorrow it seems to be working - though on Friday it was working as well up until maybe 90 minutes before the flight. Two other things with the UG list that might help. First, when I say it completely crashes, I mean it completely shuts down and I get the "Fly Delta has stopped" OS message. Second, I've noticed that from Flight Details when I click on "Upgrade/Standby List", every now and then it won't do anything until I try to scroll the Flight Details screen - even if I tap the UG/SB List text multiple times. As soon as I scroll, it jumps (or tries to jump) to the UG/SB list screen.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
New Android App

Love the new Android App... only on my phone.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and the app won't download there. I am running Jellyfish 4.1.1... Is my platform too advanced for the app? Will Delta be releasing an update that will work on my version of the Droid software?

Thanks!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Feb 4, 2013 at 9:01 am Reason: Merged into existing thread on the topic
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Existing thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...roid-here.html

Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Add a chat feature to the app and to the web site. Internet is available on the plane so the app and the web site are functional but no method to contact. No, Twitter is not a good alternative. Email is functional but a two day response is not ideal for issues best addressed immediately.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta - GM
Kindle Fire

Is this going to be available on the kindle fire??
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: DM MM
Thanks for the update and post Jonathan. App looks good and is working good, a little bit slow. I like all the additions like My Profile, My Skymiles, etc.

Speaking of the new My Skymiles page, I did find one minor error that you can put on very low priority to fix. The text for me under the orange bar says:

-190,000 TO REACH 2013 DIAMOND

So since I have 315,000 MQM YTD (with rollover), the calculation is taking 125K - 315K and showing negative -190K

On the Full HTML site for me, it shows "0 MQMs Until DIAMOND"

Would think that you would want them to both show the same info.

Another nit (although some segment flyers might think it more important) is that you don't show Segments YTD on that page. There is room just below the MQM YTD.

The one section that does not work for me is the Travel Preferences & Loyalty - Flight. When I hit the Flight button it advances to the next page and then just shows the spinning circle and never connects.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
A few issues today, first the upgrade list crashing as you've mentioned. Also when my flight was delayed the text telling me I can rebook on the trip overview screen was printed on top of the text for the link to the trip details. Are the gates supposed to be listed on the trip details page? I can only see them if I go to the flight status screen.

Also, for a brief moment, I saw someone else's itinerary (or a fake itinerary). This was after the app crashed trying to show the upgrade list, when I reopened the app it popped up on the trip details screen for a trip from SFO. I have no trips to/from SFO in my upcoming itineraries. After a few seconds, though, it went back to my own trip overview screen.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Is anyone concerned about the permissions that this app is requesting? Why does Delta need to, "Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge, read calendar events plus confidential information"?

Delta, would you explain why you need this level of permission where you can read our confidential calendar events that you did not create and send calendar as the owner to our contacts?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
Is anyone concerned about the permissions that this app is requesting? Why does Delta need to, "Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge, read calendar events plus confidential information"?

Delta, would you explain why you need this level of permission where you can read our confidential calendar events that you did not create and send calendar as the owner to our contacts?
I would imagine the add events and send email is to enable the "Add to calendar" and "Email" functionality from the Trip Details screen. But I'm not so sure about reading my calendar events (unless maybe it's to check for duplicates?)

In other news, I just checked in for my next flight and the Upgrade List link is nowhere to be found on the Trip Details page. It just says UG requested. When I look at my itinerary on the desktop site the UG list is there and I'm on it. This clearly means I have confirmed UGs from all LUT fares for the rest of the year, right?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:50 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta Air Lines
In regards to the application crashes when it comes to viewing the upgrade/standby list - we are working on a fix for this. There are also several other application crashes that we are testing fixes for as well and would come out with the fixe for the upgrade/standby list. Please make sure you report any crashes to the Google Play Store as we monitor that very closely and try and find solutions for them.

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Love the new Android App... only on my phone.

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and the app won't download there. I am running Jellyfish 4.1.1... Is my platform too advanced for the app? Will Delta be releasing an update that will work on my version of the Droid software?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by JKPFlyer
Is this going to be available on the kindle fire??
We believe we've found out why the Google Play Store is not letting it install for all of the tablets. With the update that we're working on for the aforementioned crashes, we hope that we'll be able to get it available for as many tablets as possible.

We're also working on getting the 2.0 version approved for the Amazon App Store. Even with the updates, unfortunately it'll take a little longer to make it compatible with the Kindle Fire, but we're working on getting that done as well. The Kindle Fire HD should be able to download it.

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe

We'll be very honest and open about all permissions that we use. Here is a break down of all the permissions we use and why:

SERVICES THAT COST YOU MONEY
DIRECTLY CALL PHONE NUMBERS
This is a feature that most people will not see. There are certain buttons within the application that when you press them will launch your phone with the phone number pre-populated (you will still need to hit the button to complete the call).

One that comes to my mind right away is if you lock yourself out while trying to log in a dialog will popup telling you that you have locked out your account and a button will be present to call or cancel.

How this "make a call" action is invoked is entirely different than the set of phone numbers that you get when you tap on "contact us". As a result of how you implement this on Android we need to ask for this permission in order to make the "call now" buttons work.

HARDWARE CONTROLS
TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS
This is for the parking reminder and barcode scanner. We do not access any of your pictures other than the one that you have taken and we do not send any pictures back to any Delta servers.

YOUR LOCATION
PRECISE LOCATION (GPS AND NETWORK-BASED)
APPROXIMATE LOCATION (NETWORK-BASED)
This is for the parking reminder, airports near you and Sky Clubs near you. You can turn off access to this from the settings screen (located on the home screen). We use this only for storing your location for the parking reminder and finding airports and Sky Clubs near you. We do not transmit your location back to any Delta servers.

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL NETWORK ACCESS
This is to make the needed service calls in order for the application to work.

YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
READ CALENDAR EVENTS PLUS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
This is to add events to your calendar. We do not read your calendar at anytime, nor do we send any calendar information to any Delta servers.

ADD OR MODIFY CALENDAR EVENTS AND SEND EMAIL TO GUESTS WITHOUT OWNERS' KNOWLEDGE
You can send emails related to your trip from your device as well as email the parking reminder. We only send the information to the selected email application to use. We also do not send any email information back to Delta servers at any time.

STORAGE
MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
This is so that you can move the application to the SD card if you have one.

SYSTEM TOOLS
PREVENT TABLET FROM SLEEPING PREVENT PHONE FROM SLEEPING
This is tied into push notifications and how the registration process works with Google.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the permissions we use, we will most gladly let you know why we are using these permissions.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:52 am
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

On the Passenger Information screen, even though I'm signed in and have indicated that I'm the one traveling, some fields don't populate: date of birth, gender, trusted traveler number, and the reentry of the email address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.