Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Rules and My Last Delta Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Fare Rules and My Last Delta Flight

Hello, i'm a longtime Gold Medallion, and am currently in Honolulu, on a WAW-HNL-WAW roundtrip that i purchased on Orbitz for $800 some months ago. I also paid for Economy Comfort on the segments that i needed to, and got comped for the others. I decided i wanted to extend my trip 2-4 weeks, no specific dates, and expected to pay $250 +/- the fare difference (as i had done many times before). Imagine my surprise when i was told i could not under any circumstance. I was told that my fare does not allow ANY changes, at ANY price, and i would need to cancel the flight and buy a one-way. I checked prices of one way flights (for Feb 18, my ideal change date). One way to WAW was $3400. Round trip on the other hand on the same date came to $1050. Wowza. I spoke with two agents to no avail, and i fired off the following e-mail.

Originally Posted by My Email
I feel i have been screwed over by Delta and the Skymiles program for years, and today i hit the last straw:

1. I have maintained Gold Elite status for years, going out of my way with unnecessary overnight stays in WAW, and paying a premium to fly with SkyTeam
2. I have maintained by Platinum Delta American Express, with its $150 yearly fee and 3% international transaction fees, to get a companion ticket that i could never use being based in Hawaii.
3. I could never use my status to upgrade my seat when flying from Hawaii, because you don't let us.
4. I use Skymiles shopping deals whenever i can, and when in Honolulu use the Delta dining offers.

And TODAY: I decided that i would like to extend my vacation before returning to WAW. Having changed flights before, i expected the standard $250 +/- fare difference per person. I was unable to change online, and was instructed to call. Two representatives both told me that my ticket cannot be changed under ANY circumstances, i must fly. If i don't i would need to lose the ticket, and buy a one-way. I have for years bought tickets through Orbitz, specifically flying Delta, getting status, using Skymiles shopping deals, using your credit card despite fees, and THIS is what all that effort has amounted to: Fly or go **** yourself.

And for the bonus kick in the nuts, a one-way ticket costs $3400!!! But a round trip from the same date costs $1072. Do you hate your customers? Or just me? I've been a loyal Delta customer for years, but unless something is done to remedy this i cannot justify flying Delta any more.

I want my flight scheduled for Jan 22 to Warsaw to be unlocked, so i can change my flight as i please, incurring the itself already quite high $250 change fee per person. (That's nearly 33% of my original ticket price after all). Otherwise Star Alliance, and their much better connections to and between KRK, WAW and the US with HNL are going to receive my attention. This is absolutely unacceptable, i feel wronged and cheated.
I forgot to add the ever-diluted value of Skymiles, but i'm sure they've heard quite a bit of it anyway. Regardless, they did not bother to even respond to my e-mail. I understand that Delta has a new 'Basic' fare and this time the Orbitz ticket i booked fell into that? (My assumption, i've changed Orbitz bought cheapest-tickets and could always change)

Today i called once again, and asked for a supervisor immediately. The supervisor told me that not being able to change is nothing new, and that there's nothing she can do. After complaining further, she said she would ask what the cost would be to 'upgrade' my ticket to a fare that could then allow for a change. She came back with: $250 ticket change fee (standard), $270 to upgrade it to a changeable fare, and $50 to take the ticket from Orbitz. And this included the waiving of the price difference. Fantastic. $570 to change an $800 flight, AFTER receiving a 'discount'? I told them i was upset, and again pointed out the effort i go through to stay on SkyTeam. No avail. The agent told me she couldn't do anything (read: wouldn't).

United/Lufthansa/Lot here i come. I can fly in and out of KRK, avoid WAW hotels and hopefully wont need to sit in Seattle for 7 hours when i fly any more. Just what do i use my 350,000 miles on?

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm Reason: Removed attempts to bypass profanity filter.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mRojek
I forgot to add the ever-diluted value of Skymiles, but i'm sure they've heard quite a bit of it anyway. Regardless, they did not bother to even respond to my e-mail. I understand that Delta has a new 'Basic' fare and this time the Orbitz ticket i booked fell into that? (My assumption, i've changed Orbitz bought cheapest-tickets and could always change)
Might be an incorrect assumption on your part. As for responding to your email, the language you used might account for the lack of response, do you think?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I think the foundation of your issue is the purchase of the ticket through Orbitz. You bought the ticket through Orbitz, and then Orbitz bought the ticket from Delta based on their negotiated rate/contract/terms. What is the cancellation/change policy outlined by Orbitz? Have you tried calling Orbitz customer service and seeing if there are any options to change with a fee through them?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not sure why you blame Delta, they didn't sell you the ticket. You bought it from Orbitz. It is your responsiblity to read the rules of the fare you are purchasing. Things change constantly in the airline industry. Never assume anything stays the same. If you should be upset with anyone, it would be yourself. I wouldn't respond to a letter written like that either.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

What's wrong with my letter? After two failed attempts i was frustrated, and wanted to convey it. I figured i deserved more help in this issue given how long i've flown with Delta, but it turns out i was wrong. As for the fare rules, i understand they change, but i never had this problem before. I explained this to the agents, but no dice. I asked for the standard rules to apply to me this time, now that i understand that this new basic fare is a possibility when booking. No dice. Delta offered me no help, save to give me a $600 change fee as a 'discount'. I expected more. That's probably my bad, too.

Whoa, what incredible petulance - I'm sorry, but I think you need to take personal responsibility for your own predicament. The compromise that the supervisor offered you was beyond generous - an 800 USD ticket comes with a lot of restrictions. For a FF, you should know this better than most flyers.

Caveat emptor, you should always read the rules before buying an airfare - in fact, anything.

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Since you are no longer flying DL what is your point?

You will not get any non DL playdough, so why the effort?

Enjoy your new carriers and get it out of your system.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL FO
After complaining further, she said she would ask what the cost would be to 'upgrade' my ticket to a fare that could then allow for a change. She came back with: $250 ticket change fee (standard), $270 to upgrade it to a changeable fare, and $50 to take the ticket from Orbitz. And this included the waiving of the price difference. Fantastic. $570 to change an $800 flight, AFTER receiving a 'discount'? I told them i was upset, and again pointed out the effort i go through to stay on SkyTeam. No avail. The agent told me she couldn't do anything (read: wouldn't).
$570 total to change an international ticket doesn't sound at all unreasonable to me. What you originally paid doesn't matter. What matters is what the fare is currently pricing at, and international itinerararies can fluctuate by hundreds of dollars.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Agree with the others, the mistake was not purchasing the ticket on Delta and not reading the fare rules, you can not blame Delta for either of those, that was your choice.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ooompa Loompa
$570 total to change an international ticket doesn't sound at all unreasonable to me. What you originally paid doesn't matter. What matters is what the fare is currently pricing at, and international itinerararies can fluctuate by hundreds of dollars.
The offer was that the current fare difference was waived, it was $570 in fees alone.

Orbitz cant change either. Forgive me for not reading the fine print, i expected nothing different from my previous experiences. i expected Delta would be more accommodating, and years of loyalty would be worth something more than this.

And the initial frustration, and the initial cause of the e-mail, was being told no change could be made. My 3rd call resulted in a change being able to be made, for nearly the price of a round trip ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:00 pm

Seems like DL.dumb is always a better option, despite being painfully hard to use at times. The email was clear about the issue at hand, but was aggressive. That said, still unacceptable that they have not responded to a GM within 24 hours.

Fare upgrades are unfortunately fairly common. But the upcharge to take the fare from Orbitz (albeit minimal) seems just silly.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL FO
The offer was that the current fare difference was waived, it was $570 in fees alone.
Does that matter? In the end you would have paid $570 which, as I stated, sounds reasonable to me. If they had told you the change fee was $250 and the fare difference was $320 would you feel like you were getting a better deal? In the end it is still $570.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
As a counter (and I didn't buy my ticket through Orbitz), I was very pleased with a recent and unexpected flight change experience with Delta. I didn't even ask about fees and the customer service rep told me as she ticketed me that she was waiving all fees.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:26 pm

Hi,

A one way ticket is always expensive. Most of the international ticket fares are based on round trips.This is NOT new and almost all of us have observed who have traveled in the last few years.

Difference in the price CANNOT be waived irrespective of the loyalty. You should have read the fare rules. If not, accept your mistake and move on. I have never seen cons or bulk fare on Orbitz especially ex Europe.

Have you ever flown LH? Most of the lower fares on LH are completely non changeable. It's glad that DL still offered you to make changes, unless LH would have asked you " Sorry, Move On ".

If you are a regular traveler, you must be aware that there are BULK tickets with most consolidators easily around $1000 or less for one way, but Delta deal would be the best.....

No rant, however even after racking up 3.5k miles, you are still unsure about the change procedure?

Solution : Use your miles.

First, you should be glad and thanks Delta that they even allow any change and also waiving off any change fee. Difference in the price is NOT GOVERNED by your expectations. They would simply check the availability and pricing then subtract your return ticket value from them ( obviously considering Advance purchase, blackout dates, minimum and maximum stay restrictions )-----

If you might have a question, how would i save some money and posted fare basis details and dates, we might have helped you. However, ranting and unknown of airline procedures, even after traveling on so many times seem illogical.

Note - All Airlines either charge only change fee or difference in the price or both. $570 does not seems change fee or any fee, it seems that they have charge you diff in price as per current rates.

How could Delta say there is no diff in price, pay $570 as their fee????? Again it seems either you still completely doesn't understand the procedure or the agent might have said fees to avoid any further conversation ( that might happen if a person is unable to understand airline terminology )...

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005

Last edited by taran_2005; Jan 18, 2013 at 6:44 pm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I took my Chevy Malibu to the dealer for an oil change. I expected to pay for the oil change and maybe some paperwork fee and then I'd have a ZR1 Corvette. Didn't happen. Never buying GM again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.