Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Air France
That doesn't answer the question. Does "on AF" mean on an AF operated flight? If so you can get those on DL stock a variety of ways: DL codeshares, AF intra-Europe flights tagged onto a DL TATL flight, probably other ways I don't know about.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum
As a NWA Gold 5 years ago I averaged a 90% upgrade rate spending half what I am spending today on the same amount of flying. Now as a DL PM I average a 40% upgrade rate. If DL is thinning the herd, it must be because customers like me are complaining.

There is no benefit in driving away the incremental business of mileage runners and the gamers unless DL believes the low-yield customer is costing them loyalty of high-yield customers.

Candidly, if you cannot generate $25K of AX spend or $5K of travel spend on DL, you are not a high-value customer. You just aren't. That's why DL is retaining the butts in seats requirements, because they want to reward spend AND the road warriors, not just spend.

They do need to be careful, though, about all these goofy quirks with their JV partners tickets. The system seems perilously complex.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Builderman
What does "on AF" mean?
Good point.

I'll try to rephrase... 2nd iteration.

How does one buy a ticket from AF and get it issued with a 006 ticket number?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by mesabadad
Rollover MQMs will not change with the new program. As long as you earn Medallion status based on the new requirements, any MQMs in excess of the threshold needed for status earned will roll over.

So, I have 5 gazillion MQMs, but if I don't spend at least $2,500 annually starting in 2014 I will lose ALL my MQMs! Am I right? I hope not.
I think you are correct... from the MQM FAQ:

Originally Posted by MQM FAQ
Will my year-to-date Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) still roll over with the new program and will Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) roll over after spending a certain amount?

Rollover MQMs will not change with the new program. As long as you earn Medallion status based on the new requirements, any MQMs in excess of the threshold needed for status earned will roll over. There will be no rollover of MQDs, Eligible Purchases on Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs).
If you don't meet the spend requirements, you won't retain Medallion status, and so no MQMs would roll over.

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by mesabadad
Rollover MQMs will not change with the new program. As long as you earn Medallion status based on the new requirements, any MQMs in excess of the threshold needed for status earned will roll over.

So, I have 5 gazillion MQMs, but if I don't spend at least $2,500 annually starting in 2014 I will lose ALL my MQMs! Am I right? I hope not.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...lars-faqs.html

Yes, you must spend $25,000 on the Delta Amex each year or get back on a plane and meet the airfare spend level for your Medallion level.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
How about the following situation:

On Orbitz I buy a ticket BOS-AMS-BOS that has the KL codeshare numbers. The flight is operated by DL however.
Do I get MQD or not?
If it's KL coded on a KL issued ticket (074) you do *not* get MQD according to what the current guidelines say.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
My employers have required that I pay for work travel using the card provided by them; I am not allowed to charge work travel expenses onto a personal card.
Yup, thats a problem for a lot of people. Work pays for the ticket and/or they have a corp card you use for expense, so that limits what you're able to charge in order to hit the 25k spend.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
So as long as I spend $25K a year on my Delta Am Ex, the spend won't apply correct? I would think most PMs would spend at least $7,500 a year on Delta anyway if the aren't getting the status through Am Ex spend unless it rollovers. Do MM's have to spend the required amount on Delta each year to keep that status as part of the million miler benefits?

Do A & P fares continue to earn the 50% bonus?

My complaint with the M fares not earning the 50% bonus is you have to have an M fare for international SWU's or mile upgrades. If Delta allowed lower fare buckets to be used for those I wouldn't have an issue with this change. Seeing you have to buy such an expensive fare in coach for the SWU's/Miles the 50% bonus helped a lot.

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I can't wait until UA announces this as well...they tried last year. Now, there is no reason not to. Then, AA will follow. Finally!
I think you have just solved one big mystery here.

Why did DL actually give us plenty of advance notice of the MQD change?

Answer: So UA/AA would have time to respond.

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I suspect that DL management has an analysis that says this will not have a significant impact on elite numbers, at least at the DM/PM levels.
I expect just the opposite. Seems like all levels will be hit, including the top tiers. Sure, there will still be some 'Lite' DM's who get there on CC spend but many others will drop a tier or two. Those who used to do MR's to hit status will now also need to meet the $$, a much higher hurdle.

Still surprised by this decision but DL is really putting the flier back in frequent flier. Will be most interesting to see what the other legacies do, especially UA who floated the idea of tying status to spend and the comment by one of their VP's regarding 'over-entitled elites'.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Good point.

I'll try to rephrase... 2nd iteration.

How does one buy a ticket from AF and get it issued with a 006 ticket number?
You don't. Who you buy the ticket from is what controls the number.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Well SkyTeam likes to talk about their presence in China all the time.
KE is a Korean airline. China Airlines, China Eastern, Xianen don't change.
Suspended

If it's KL coded on a KL issued ticket (074) you do *not* get MQD according to what the current guidelines say.
You tell me how I can know upfront what the ticket number will be...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
Originally Posted by apwessen
Do you actually travel for work? In a normal travel week, I spend $500 on a flight, $400 on rental car, $400 on a hotel and $200 on food/entertainment. That's $1500 per week of travel all on the Delta AMEX. So if you just traveled two weeks a month, that's more than $25k. It's not irresponsible, it's actually traveling for work and being smart enough to stick to a single credit card.
That's if you get to use your own credit cards.
I have to use my company issued AMEX.
While I do keep points/miles, there's no extra incentive for me for using the corporate AMEX.

And I believe most corporate workers here would have to do the same.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
The loss of a 50% bonus MQMs on M fares will remove me from the DM ranks after 2013. I don't know the origin of the notion that DL will cut the cost of M fares since they have gotten over $5K on two M fare tickets from me this year alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.