Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
WN doesn't interline so you are screwed in an IROPs situation
Exactly why I have never flown WN once.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:52 pm

Delta is only asking more and not giving more.

They could have, for example, lowered the fare class requirement for using SWU's.

Then the obnoxious cheering section would unanimously call that appeasement on grounds that "they're running a business, not a charity" and, given we don't have access to all proprietary data, our reflections are littering the thread.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
will this lead to more profits for DL?

Or are you not willing to take a stance that is measurable in a few years?
In the millions. By simply jettisoning the 3G&G crowd that BRAG about how they earn DM or PM for just a couple of thousand of dollars, Delta without doing anything else will add millions to bottom line. Keep in mind that the pretenders are not even covering the raw cost of their flights. How you ask?

If DL can cut one pretender out of first class on every DL flight, that alone cuts millions a year in cost? How? Do you have any idea how much it cost to cater one single GLASS of Water on a flight in first? Wanna take a stab at it? I willing to bet you will not even be close. And we are talking water and not a shot of Woodford…….

Let’s take those same pretenders and talk about the cost of the free club membership? I can tell you that I’m not a big drinker, but in the course of year DL would not even come close to covering the cost of what I drink and eat in the course of a year EVEN if I was paying full price for the membership. Again multiply the number of pretenders that are going to lose just these benefits and you will quickly see how this will add to DL’s bottom line.

Next…….
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Delta is only asking more and not giving more.

They could have, for example, lowered the fare class requirement for using SWU's.

Then the obnoxious cheering section would unanimously call that appeasement on grounds that "they're running a business, not a charity" and, given we don't have access to all proprietary data, our reflections are littering the thread.
Agreed.

Raising the bar for access to an (USA) industry-worst international upgrade instrument while retaining high restrictions for its use = another .
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I
If DL can cut one pretender out of first class on every DL flight, that alone cuts millions a year in cost? How? Do you have any idea how much it cost to cater one single GLASS of Water on a flight in first? Wanna take a stab at it? I willing to bet you will not even be close. And we are talking water and not a shot of Woodford…….

Next…….
It has nothing at all to do with "pretenders", as you so inaccurately put it. It has to do with selling a discounted first class seat for some quantity of marginal revenue.

The seat was and always was Delta's to give away, or sell, just because Delta chose in the past to give it away does not make the recipient a "pretender".
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure how a 'pretender' is counted... with FCM there are a lot more people buying up for F, including kettles. Even with the remaining seats the upgrades are going to a DM on a high fare or other medallion on a full fare.

I can understand why DL is doing this... they are a corporation looking to rake in profits. However, the whole thing just comes across as DL showing disdain for its pax, even high spending ones... take the reduction on M fares, gutting of partner earnings, and requirement of a 006 ticket or DL flight number for spend credit.

In fact, I see it as DL is acting rather pompus with an attitude of take it or leave it, we won't miss you. Seems very short sighted, but unfortunately we won't know the results for a few years and especially not until things turn again in favor of the traveler.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Not sure how a 'pretender' is counted... with FCM there are a lot more people buying up for F, including kettles. Even with the remaining seats the upgrades are going to a DM on a high fare or other medallion on a full fare.

I can understand why DL is doing this... they are a corporation looking to rake in profits. However, the whole thing just comes across as DL showing disdain for its pax, even high spending ones... take the reduction on M fares, gutting of partner earnings, and requirement of a 006 ticket or DL flight number for spend credit.

In fact, I see it as DL is acting rather pompus with an attitude of take it or leave it, we won't miss you. Seems very short sighted, but unfortunately we won't know the results for a few years and especially not until things turn again in favor of the traveler.
I wish things would get better if and when the industry turns in favor of the traveler. It doesn't ever seem to work that way though. When times are tough for the airlines, they seek out "painful" cuts to which many of us then pass off as acceptable as we apologetically excuse the airline for any changes they feel are necessary. When things are good, demand improves and the airlines become arrogant and feel they can do as they wish. Just think back to 2001, the airlines were desperate so they cut meals, pillows, blankets, and more. Skip ahead ten + years where most U.S. carriers are now profitable and yet they continue to chip away. The U.S. airline industry spins their financial situation any way they can to make each subsequent cut palatable to consumers. The only way to stop it is a significant consumer backlash. A good starting point would be for people to cancel their Delta SkyMiles American Express cards.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
Instead you have folks here actively cheerleading DL for cutting benefits on a site that features mileage run deals, go figure. Personally, I became an active member of this community after DL offered me a Medallion promotion, prior to this I used DL domestically and UA or AA for international flights, I moved all of my business to DL but now with the MQD nonsense I may have to reconsider next year. If DL doesn't offer more incentives for the 5k or 7500k they are now asking, I will take my measly 5-6k somewhere else. If I can get 1k at UA or Exec Plat with AA for the same amount, why would I bother with DL?

Unlike some here, I don't have an unlimited corporate travel expense account, and I don't foolishly overpay for fares in hopes of outbidding my fellow medallions for an upgrade. I am waiting to see if UA and AA follow suit, or if DL pulls back then I will make my decision.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jdschwartz78
The only way to stop it is a significant consumer backlash. A good starting point would be for people to cancel their Delta SkyMiles American Express cards.
Tell you what. How about you stop accumulating miles. Lead the boycott. I'll follow. I promise. Seriously, I've got your back.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by jjlovecub
How does this maximize customers that bring them the most profit?? What those people are now going to spend more on DL?? I doubt that. To me it only drives people away. What am I missing?
I can think of a couple of possibilities.

Reducing costs by reducing unprofitable customers by right sizing flights. Every extra person cost Delta more because of the fuel cost. At some price point empty seats are better than a paying customer.

Increased fares resulting from reduced competition (US buying AA) and the assumption that enough AA freq flyers will move to DL.

My guess is that the break even point is in the range of 7 cpm. We know 10 cpm is profitable.

I am as cheap as the next person. If I can get Lexis service for the price of a Honda, I'll take it. If Lexis doesn't think I am worth it, I can't make them.

A basic of business is know who your profitable customers are and get as many of those as you can and if you get others along the way that's just gravy as long as they don't take away from your core customer.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Tell you what. How about you stop accumulating miles. Lead the boycott. I'll follow. I promise. Seriously, I've got your back.
Down to 5k miles in my DL piggy bank.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I love Flyertalk - I will bump this thread in 3 years time if it has not been locked. I just can not see a mass exodus.

WN charging 40$ for boarding first. Airlines make business decisions - too many on here seem to take it personally. I think WN and DL are leaders - not usually followers.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by gibraltar87
Instead you have folks here actively cheerleading DL for cutting benefits on a site that features mileage run deals, go figure.
What we have is a subset of folks who are banking on that they will be the recipients of the benefits currently set aside for what DL has deemed as less worthy medallion members. That would be the same benevolent DL which promised better award availability 18 months ago after instituting the T-72 rule for award ticket changes, and we've seen how well that's turned out.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
What we have is a subset of folks who are banking on that they will be the recipients of the benefits currently set aside for what DL has deemed as less worthy medallion members. That would be the same benevolent DL which promised better award availability 18 months ago after instituting the T-72 rule for award ticket changes, and we've seen how well that's turned out.
Or at least not affected by the change.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:38 pm

I just said goodbye to my Delta Amex a few minutes ago. I was a relatively low spend user on the card anyways so I doubt I will be missed much. Having said that, if several hundred thousand moderate spend cardholders suddenly cancel, I would guess that would get someone's attention. Then again, if there are too few cardholders, it would just make it that much easier for DL to cut mileage earning across the board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.