Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Official Medallion Qualification Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bsagator
If the mileage runners don't buy those seats, someone else will? I think more than likely those seats go empty, or else DL wouldn't need to offer those fares. I've never done a mileage run, but I once booked a $450 ai flight from MCO-FCO on DL in 2009, as we were going there anyway to do a Mediterranean cruise. The flight from ATL to FCO still had about 30-40 empty seats.
More often than not, those loss leader fares are a response to competition, NOT the need to fill seats. DL is discovering their fare discipline now is serving them well (and training the customer). Those loss leaders are there and probably forever will be. However, they are now saying the perk of those fares is the transportation itself. Less than .10 per mile is not what they are looking for.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bsagator
BTW, do we believe that the MQD requirement will really decrease the 70 flyers strong upgrade list from ATL-MSP? It might change the bottom 25%, but I think it will have minimal effect at the top. The "fake" Diamonds don't take hub-2-hub flights, and won't really affect your upgrade chances.
For hubs I don't think it will really make a difference and people will still MR seeing many will have a Delta credit card and will be exempt from the MQD rule providing they charge $25K a year on the card. The people that put $25K a year on a delta Credit card will still MR as usual.

I am basically forced to take Delta unless I want to connect out of DTW, unless I happen to be flying to a competitors HUB city. And even if I chose to connect I wouldn't have lounge access, being able to SDC easilly onto an earlier flight (something I do a lot), a lot of the competitions planes out of DTW don't have first service service for the first segment, etc. I am sure it's that way for flyers in ATL and SLC as well.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Delta could have easily set up the Kriptonium Medallion level at say 200.000 Mqm's if the wanted to but they choose to thinning out the ranks on the existing levels instead.
BUT, DL talked to many high-rev Medallions and found out that the flooding of the Medallion levels was a MAJOR sticking point. In addition, I am sure the mileage bonuses are influencing their bottom line. I will use IST again....27,000 banked miles for transporting someone over 13,000 miles and then providing a free domestic ticket on top of it? Not sustainable, considering the domestic ticket in many cases costs more than the IST mileage run.

I am a firm believer in WFBF, but road warriors often can't. Thinning the herd will hopefully give hope (at least the upgrades will go to the right people). SKY boarding that is longer than regular boarding is atrocious. The SkyClubs are a zoo. Yes, DL sells unlimited Day passes, but they also give away a lot of memberships with DM.....this will eliminate that.

Baby steps in the right direction.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
SM is not a program to reward loyalty. It is a program to maximize revenue for DL.
"Your loyalty means the world to us, and SkyMiles is one of the ways we like to say thanks."

Let our loyalty program take you further than ever with Medallion® benefits and SkyMiles memberships. It's just our way of saying "thanks".

From http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles.html

David
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold
Just wanted to confirm something...

A search of Delta.com for a roundtrip fare between JFK and BCN yields a fare of ~$910 all in. Of that, $551 are taxes/fees. So, if this new policy were in effect now, I'd only get $379 MQD's for this route even through I paid more than double?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by dean1121
My ego is fine.
Yeah, it seems no one can see it in themselves. That's kinda the way these things play out 99% of the time.

The extraneous puffery in your OP betrays you. Nice try though.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
"Your loyalty means the world to us, and SkyMiles is one of the ways we like to say thanks."

Let our loyalty program take you further than ever with Medallion® benefits and SkyMiles memberships. It's just our way of saying "thanks".

From http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles.html

David
It's an airline, NOT a lover. LOL.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by NYCTraveller
Just wanted to confirm something...

A search of Delta.com for a roundtrip fare between JFK and BCN yields a fare of ~$910 all in. Of that, $551 are taxes/fees. So, if this new policy were in effect now, I'd only get $379 MQD's for this route even through I paid more than double?
No...the fuel surcharge will count toward the MQD as well.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
It's an airline, NOT a lover. LOL.
Don't you hear the way Donald Sutherland talks to us all though?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Don't you hear the way Donald Sutherland talks to us all though?
It is a bit more seductive than Richard Anderson =-).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No...the fuel surcharge will count toward the MQD as well.
Has that been confirmed by a DL representative, or is it just an assumption?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
This post right here shows that you don't understand business, and that you can't figure out DL clearly has a reasoning for the AmEx exemptions and the perks for having the AmEx.
I do understand business. The model is just inconsistent and makes little sense to me.

(a) If paying one's "fair share" for flights is what should matter (i.e. not qualifying only on MRs), then Amex does not fit here, just like mileage runners don't.

(b) If Delta's bottom dollar (DBD) is what matters then Amex clearly is part of this, but then why eliminate earnings on JV TATL flights? Paying for EC, UGs to F/J, baggage fees, ticketing fees, mileage redeposit fees... these are all direct cash contributions to DBD and these should then count towards MQDs. Every time you're forking over cash in favor of DBD, it should count.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

I am a firm believer in WFBF, but road warriors often can't. Thinning the herd will hopefully give hope (at least the upgrades will go to the right people). SKY boarding that is longer than regular boarding is atrocious. The SkyClubs are a zoo. Yes, DL sells unlimited Day passes, but they also give away a lot of memberships with DM......
On this we agree.....
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
It is a bit more seductive than Richard Anderson =-).
I just hope that he's wearing pants when he sits at the desk everyday...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Has that been confirmed by a DL representative, or is it just an assumption?
On DL.com

Medallion Qualification Dollars: Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) are the sum total of the SkyMiles member’s spend on Delta-marketed flights (flight numbers that include the “DL” airline code), inclusive of the base fare and applicable surcharges, but exclusive of government-imposed taxes and fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.