Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International - Domestic transfer in Atlanta KLM DELTA (AMS-ATL-MCO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Hi all

We are flying in from Amsterdam to Atlanta with KLM in march and have to trasfer to Delta for our Orlando flight. We are scheduled to land 9.20pm and our next flight is scheduled to take off 10.55pm. That makes 1 hour 35 minutes on a international to domestic transfer.

Do you think this will be enough time for a family of three to make it to our flight? We will be travelling with carry-on only.

What concourse/terminal will KLM arrive on and where will our Delta flight take off from?

I really appreciate any help you guys and gals can give me on this
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
You should be okay later in the evening when the airport is less busy.

You will arrive in Terminals E or F and could depart from any ATL terminal (T, A, B, C, D, E, F), although I think C or D are less likely. Looking at today's ATL-MCO flights, most left from B gates with others leaving from A and E.

There is a train connecting all of the terminals and carry on only should make this easier.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you rwoman
It is good to hear the airport will be less busy late evening.
If we were to lose our connection the next flight wont get us to MCO until around 4 am yikes

The travel agent put us way back in the plane, so maybe I can try to move us a few rows further up so we can get off the plane a little earlier
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: SkyMiles DM, American Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by boredandre
Thank you rwoman
It is good to hear the airport will be less busy late evening.
If we were to lose our connection the next flight wont get us to MCO until around 4 am yikes

The travel agent put us way back in the plane, so maybe I can try to move us a few rows further up so we can get off the plane a little earlier
Can you pre-clear US customs in AMS? I don't believe so, but that will make a huge difference.

Assuming you can't, this connection may be a bit tight. I would highlight your close connection to an agent at the customs/immigration station to get expidited to the front of the line. 1+35 is, IMO, too close. That being said, I haven't cleared customs in Atlanta since they opened F, so they have fixed some of the issues that existed before with it being a slower process.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by JA_AK
Can you pre-clear US customs in AMS? I don't believe so, but that will make a huge difference.
No.

Assuming you can't, this connection may be a bit tight. I would highlight your close connection to an agent at the customs/immigration station to get expidited to the front of the line. 1+35 is, IMO, too close. That being said, I haven't cleared customs in Atlanta since they opened F, so they have fixed some of the issues that existed before with it being a slower process.
I think this is fine for a US citizen/permanent resident, tight for someone who is not.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Builderman
No.

I think this is fine for a US citizen/permanent resident, tight for someone who is not.
We are not US citizens. Travelling under the Visa Waiver program.

Spoke to a KLM representative today and he said that the minimum transfer time on International to Domestic in Atl is 1h30.

Anyone had any experience with this issue in ATL?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I will do that Hopefully they will be able to move us to the front of the line.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I have successfully made tighter international to domestic transfers in ATL, but I have also missed one of about 1.5 hrs.

Key factors:
1) How quickly you get off the plane
2) It may be a long hike to the immigration area...walk fast.
3) How quickly the immigration lines are moving...if it looks really tight by the time you reach the immigration hall, try to find a sympathetic agent to move you to the front of the line (some of those people are friendly and helpful; others love prancing around and showing how much "power" they have).
4) Baggage claim probably won't delay you much. Hopefully your bags will be arriving in the baggage claim area about the same time you do. Of course, if you only have carry-ons, you'll be a step ahead.
5) Remember that you have to go through TSA screening after customs. If you have checked bags, you will have to turn them in at the bag re-check area. They should already be tagged to your final destination.
6) Once you pass through the TSA check, you will be able to get to your departure gate fairly quickly. The trains are frequent (every couple of minutes), and fast.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Coming in that late will be a big advantage. A personal best for me was Sunday night, going from F12 to the Plane Train in 13 minutes at 7pm. Granted that was no checked bags and sitting in 2nd row of economy. If you're focused, you can get through quickly.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
You should be fine. I've done this combination a few times in the last year, AMS-ATL on KLM and then the last flight of the day to MCO. Connection time was about the same. On two occasions I've made it to the gate 30-40 minutes before boarding even began, and once I barely made it but only due to late arrival of the KLM flight into ATL.

Have a safe trip.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:56 am
Original Poster

I really appreciate everyone's help I am much calmer now than I was a couple of days ago

Luckily we will be travelling with carry-on only
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by boredandre
I really appreciate everyone's help I am much calmer now than I was a couple of days ago

Luckily we will be travelling with carry-on only
I have made a similar connection in ATL only once, on a MUC-ATL-DCA flight. My ATL-DCA flight was delayed a couple of hours by thunderstorms in Washington, clearing customs and changes in ATL went very smoothly. I think you should be OK as long as your flight arrives on schedule, but you shouldn't waste any time in going to your departure gate.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
I have made a similar connection in ATL only once, on a MUC-ATL-DCA flight. My ATL-DCA flight was delayed a couple of hours by thunderstorms in Washington, clearing customs and changes in ATL went very smoothly. I think you should be OK as long as your flight arrives on schedule, but you shouldn't waste any time in going to your departure gate.
I hope so Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.