Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9JAN DL 201 JNB-ATL diverts to the Ascension Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by johnincolumbus
I assume it was a 77L that had the emergency landing and its wing clipped?
Yep, N705DN. The rescue 777 (N703DN) has already successfully flown back to ATL and might well be on its way to somewhere else again by now.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The dead 777 stuck on ASI is N705DN. The rescue 777 that was dispatched from ATL is N703DN; it returned to ATL at 2:30 am this morning, Jnauary 11 (not the 10th as delta.dumb flight status insists). Flightaware seems very confused by the situation.
I hope somebody took pictures of the two DL 777s at ASI. For DL employees/management, that's a framer.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:50 pm

Yep, N705DN. The rescue 777 (N703DN) has already successfully flown back to ATL and might well be on its way to somewhere else again by now.
I can't believe out of almost 300 people there wasn't at least one FT member on board. What a bunch of losers!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I hope somebody took pictures of the two DL 777s at ASI. For DL employees/management, that's a framer.
Me too! And it would be interesting to see the damaged wing as well as the British military plane that attacked the poor helpless DL 777 that was out of service on ASI. (Memories of the AF A380 clipping the wing of the little DL Connection RJ at JFK, but somewhat in reverse.)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
It looks like another 777 was diverted 10 January. DL 249.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:10 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tmontemb
Wow! Amazing!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...335Z/EHAM/CYYR

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...010Z/CYYR/KDTW

It was only at Goose Bay for a little over an hour, so I would guess a sick pax or security issue? Mechanical seems unlikely.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Wow! Amazing!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...335Z/EHAM/CYYR

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...010Z/CYYR/KDTW

It was only at Goose Bay for a little over an hour, so I would guess a sick pax or security issue? Mechanical seems unlikely.
That was my reaction, but would Goose Bay have a good trauma center? I would expect more of a community hospital, maybe better if there's a military facility.

Also, from my experience with a medical diversion to Ottawa on AMS-MSP, if the patient needs a visa for Canada, the situation becomes more complicated and causes the plane to stay on the ground much longer than an hour. It made me wonder why we didn't aim for BUF or DTW because people were aware of the patient's nationality.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:25 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Calling PRWeezer!

Calling PRWeezer!

Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by johnincolumbus
I can't believe out of almost 300 people there wasn't at least one FT member on board. What a bunch of losers!
Did you take the time to read post 38 in this thread....

Maybe it's time you did

Bob H
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by BobH
Did you take the time to read post 38 in this thread....

Maybe it's time you did

Bob H
I think it is you that needs to read that post.

(that poster wasn't on the flight, so the statement that no FTer was on the flight is still technically true.)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Understood, but the mechanics will be changing the (big heavy awkward) engine far away from a maintenance base with equipment for the job and without the benefit of a hanger providing shade if not air conditioning
Happens all the time all over the world. The tools and equipment that they'd need for the engine change would ship along with the engine on the 747. They chartered a 747 because a 777 engine is very large and will not fit on most cargo airplanes.

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
The failure of the number 2 engine
Number 1 engine. The number 2 engine is in the tail and was the one that's uncontained failure caused the damage on UA232.

This must have been the period when engines were falling off the DC-10s just before 1980.
Engines? There's been only one.

.....and hoping it's well secured
Why would it not be well secured? This is the type of thing that airlines like Atlas do everyday. It isn't rocket science.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Calling PRWeezer!

Calling PRWeezer!

He's home for the day but as said something quick like that is likely medical. Though he did have some excitement w a drunk who had to be babysat by a FAM for a bit today...and a health issue I best not mention.

He & a colleague had some fun w the fact that this flight got so much traction here...it's a day in the life for them (granted in a more exotic location). When discussing conditions for pax colleague said, ask them if they remember M.A.S.H. & that's it, volleyball, a bar, surgery in a tent & a crazy guy in drag.

About that recent award for completion factor...DL 201 landed twice today, but 1/9 201 & 1/10 201.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL
Medical diversion
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I was trying to ask whether a smaller plane that the 747 could have done the job of delivering (nonstop) an engine from ATL to ASI.

For the full load of passengers trapped on ASI and uncertain what would happen, I suspect DL's rush to get the rescue 777 down there ASAP was greatly appreciated. Also, without some 777 mechanics on the ground, it wouldn't be clear whether a new engine or other stuff would be needed. If they will need to fly parts and tools in anyway before being able to complete the fix, they might as well rush the rescue flight and send the parts and equipment after they ascertain what will be needed, although I can also see an argument to send al lot of extra contingency parts in case they discover further problems while working on the aircraft. A lot depends on the cost of the parts and sending them versus the cost of being without that 777, all with lots of risk and uncertainty thrown in to add to the challenge. This is assuming that DL already has the necessary parts in ATL and can spare the equipment from ATL. If things must be purchased or flown in from elsewhere, the complications and time lags obviously would increase.
Smaller bird? Have you seen the size of the engines on the 777? The diameter is around 12ft. Just to ship it on a 747 you can only do it with the fan removed. Only the AN-124 can take it whole and they aren't readily available in the US.

They have the parts but it is much much easier just to yank the engine and repair it at a maintenance center. That way the airplane is back in service.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:47 pm

I guess I'll be the first actual passenger to check in, this flight was definitely an adventure for sure. I apologize in advance for the length.

We were approximately five hours out from Johannesburg (I had just finished my movie and was laying my seat back to try to sleep) when the pilot came on the intercom with an announcement that they had an engine indication light on and we were diverting to Ascension Island and would be there in about an hour. As you can imagine there was not going to be any sleep after that.

We landed at almost exactly an hour later, about 3,000 miles from Johannesburg. The landing was actually fairly smooth but the airfield did have a few emergency vehicles ready just in case (I think there were only six or so vehicles, they don't have many) and no they were not lightning the runway with their headlights. After landing we were told to stay in our seats for the time being and maybe 15-20 minutes later we were told that we were going to be getting off the plane and to start getting together our personal belongings. Probably 5 minutes after that we started to get off the plane at about 1:30am local time (8:30pm EST).

When we deplaned we went to the British "terminal". There was probably only about 40 seats inside for people to sit on but the evening was very nice so most people sat on large picnic benches outside or leaned against the walls and fence. They luckily had a tiny little play area in terminal already there where the little kids could play. They brought in a few of the cold sandwiches meant for the midflight snack to the base but there were not enough for everyone. We were also short on the refreshment said, the Brits brewed up some coffee and tea and there was a water fountain but that is all we had (I was smart and grabbed a few extra water bottles before we landed). We had some weak cell phone reception at the base so most of us were able to text or call people back in the States if we needed to.

About two hours after we had landed they finally powered down the plane and we noticed the pilots and flight crew get into some vehicles and drive away. This was really my only criticism on how everything was handled. I realize they were still figuring things out at the time but it would have been nice for them to send one of the pilots or maybe the crew leader to the terminal and just say "This is what we know and this is what we don't know and we'll tell you more when we have more information". It would not have taken very much and it would have made a lot of people happier, there was definitely some grumbling that no one was keeping us in the loop. Most of the information we go were just rumors of someone sat next to someone who knew someone working at Delta and they were told this and that. Eventually about an hour after that one the Brits got on the intercom to start organizing transportation to the bases for accomodations and mentioned that Delta was working on bringing a new plane there but he had not heard of a timeframe yet.

The transport of everyone to the British and American bases were a little disorganized, you could definitely tell they were making it up as they went which was completely understandable. They were breaking people out into groups of four (started with elderly and children, then moved into couples and travel partners before going to single travelers). Those who went to the British base were in four to a room and had a communal bathroom. Not the greatest of accommodations but it was better than sleeping in the terminal. I was lucky and got sent to the US base where we all got our own rooms with bathrooms, I got into my room around 5:30am local.

When I got up I went to the mess hall for lunch which was free for all the passengers. At the mess hall we had our first "official" communication from Delta which was just a note saying they were expecting the replacement plane to arrive between 5:00-6:00 pm and that a dinner would be available after 3:30pm. We were not restricted in our movements in any way on the US base, I spent a lot of time walking around and I talked to a couple people who had made it down to Georgetown which was apparently a couple miles from the base. The base shop definitely had a good day, I saw dozens of people walking around with Ascension Island shirts on.

Everyone on the British side started coming over to the US base at around 5:00pm and buses started coming at about 6:00 to start bringing everyone back to the airfield, everyone made it over there by around 7:00. There was a British plane there that had arrived in the morning (and yes apparently they did clip their wing with our broken plane) so we all had to huddle in the firestation for a little bit as that plane was taxing and took off. At about 8:00pm we were told we could board the plane and so you just had a mass of 250 people just walking across the tarmac to board the plane. Everyone was boarded and settled down withing 20-25 minutes, everyone was ready to get home. Once airborne we were let known that because the replacement plane had left in the middle of the night they were not able to load it with any catered food so we just had snacks available (at some point they also ran out of water but beyond that they seemed to have the usual beverage service).

We arrived in Atlanta at about 2:30am EST and they opened immigration just for us. Once we got through customs and baggage claim (the pilots moved all of the luggage from the broken plane to the new one) there was a host of Delta reps waiting to get everything setup. I'm a Platinum member so they had a room setup for us where they gave us our boarding passes for connecting flights, hotel key (I declined as I had a 7:40 flight and it didn't make sense to go to a hotel just for a couple hours), and for the sky priority members they had food bags with a sandwich and snacks available (they had some food available for everyone else as well). After that they let everyone who was staying in the airport into the Sky Lounge in the F Terminal.

It was definitely an interesting experience. It some ways it was kind of nice to stop and have a nice shower and a sleep in a bed. The people at both the British and American bases were all every nice and accommodating and aside from lack of communication after we landed at Ascension I thought Delta stepped up nicely.
tedcruz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.