Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old Jul 11, 19, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Gold
Finding some JFK-Europe availability for later in the summer at 80K RT. However, I would like to return on a different alliance that has biz class availability. When I try to book the same DL outbound leg one-way, it is 115K.

Is there a way around these dumb games DL plays? Does calling do anything? Possible to book the DL metal through KLM/AF? Anything else I should consider?
Old Jul 11, 19, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
No. The award requires a RT to get the lower price. Just like most cash fares require RT for lower price.
Old Jul 11, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
No. The award requires a RT to get the lower price. Just like most cash fares require RT for lower price.
That's too bad. I've also tried to search for a multi-city award, with a DL or DL partner return TATL, to see if that brings the price back down, but the search tool breaks down and comes back with "no seats available". Looks like I'll book one-way TATL with FlyingBlue, and the return leg with *A, and forget about trying to go through DL.com.
Old Jul 12, 19, 3:06 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
To book DL awards one-way at the normal price, you need to use an FFP other than Delta's. The same DL flight can be booked at the normal price one-way, but you have to book it using a SkyTeam or other partner program, other than Delta SkyMiles.

Basically, DL SM are most practical for non-DL SkyTeam or partner flights. Conversely, DL flights are best booked using other SkyTeam or partner FFPs.

(Yes, that's the type of silly games that DL is playing now.)
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by dlflyer00 View Post
I just booked SFO-TPE online and then asked Twitter to add a connection onto SIN, which they did with no hassle (in the middle of the night as well). Seems like itís still pretty easy.
Did you provide them with a specific flight that you wanted and they just kept your original SFO-TPE? No additional miles required?
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by skimmilk90 View Post
Did you provide them with a specific flight that you wanted and they just kept your original SFO-TPE? No additional miles required?
No additional miles. Obviously the quality of agent you get varies significantly, I think I got lucky.

Old Jul 17, 19, 9:12 pm

Great, thanks. Trying to get from West Coast to ICN with layover in TPE. I called the line and reached out to try and get it priced at 85,000 but no luck. I see availability when looked up separately. Will try this route on twitter.