Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners Master Thread

Old May 1, 17, 10:30 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by akcae View Post
If you're looking for flights ex-EU to the US, this is Delta's doing: they charge "international origination fee" of several hundred dollars for award tickets out of Europe, regardless of the carrier. Avoiding Aeroflot won't eliminate this fee.
The international origin fee out of Russia is 93 EU for both Y and J awards which is not all that unreasonable and clearly not "several hundred dollars". Not nearly as bad as many other European countries (particularly the ones that also hit you with APD/"Solidarity" taxes). J awards from France have a airline surcharge of 178 EU and a solidarity tax of 45 EU. From the UK, you get hit with a 144.50 GBP airline charge and 150 GBP UK APD tax for J tickets.
Old May 1, 17, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Any reports on how easy/difficult it is to use Skymiles on AR (Aerolineas Argentinas) short haul flights w/in Argentina and South America? (Either cabin)
Old May 2, 17, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Any reports on how easy/difficult it is to use Skymiles on AR (Aerolineas Argentinas) short haul flights w/in Argentina and South America? (Either cabin)
Have you tried booking? AR award space shows up on DL.com just fine.
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 17, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by akcae View Post
Have you tried booking? AR award space shows up on DL.com just fine.
I just joined and have 0 points.
Old May 6, 17, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
With Delta elites now officially receiving upgrades on Aeromexico, does that apply to companions? I will be Delta gold while my companion (same ticket) has no status. Thank you !
Old May 16, 17, 2:49 pm

So, I'm looking to get from SYD back to DSM sometime in early March 2018 in J.

Direct is minimum 220k. If I go SYD>LAX>MSP, it's down to 175k but I gotta find a ride down to DSM.

However, if I go SYD>TYO, stay overnight, the TYO>XXX>DSM, I'm at 145k. Is this going to be my best option?

I'm fine with being in Japan for a day, but is there a way I can go through ICN or possibly another routing, and not have to pay 175k+ for it?
Old May 19, 17, 12:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Just locked in a multiple cabin award from OMA-MSP-LHR-DXB for 85,000 plus $46.30 in taxes and fees. MSP-LHR is D1 on their 767 and LHR-DXB is VS Upper Class on their A330. Considering I paid over $600 in surcharges on my last VS award I'd say this isn't a half bad deal.
Old May 19, 17, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg View Post
Just locked in a multiple cabin award from OMA-MSP-LHR-DXB for 85,000 plus $46.30 in taxes and fees. MSP-LHR is D1 on their 767 and LHR-DXB is VS Upper Class on their A330. Considering I paid over $600 in surcharges on my last VS award I'd say this isn't a half bad deal.
FYI the VS A330 UC hard product is considered awful. They packed them in, and what a worse there's no privacy. The seats have dividers between them, but they're see-through.
Old May 20, 17, 8:12 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
FYI the VS A330 UC hard product is considered awful. They packed them in, and what a worse there's no privacy. The seats have dividers between them, but they're see-through.
I've flown it, and it's not great but it beats the heck out of the back of the bus. Is LHR-DXB a daytime flight? If so, I really don't think it's that bad. I usually spend daytime flights (such as westbound EU-US flights which is when I flew the VS A330) enjoying the food and watching movies. I did catch a nap on that flight as well. There's also a bar to hang out at if you want. Most importantly, you get access to the LHR Clubhouse.
Old May 20, 17, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I've actually flown it before from ORD-LHR and it wasn't that bad. There's definitely no privacy, but I do enjoy the atmosphere and service on VS.
Old May 20, 17, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
I've flown it, and it's not great but it beats the heck out of the back of the bus. Is LHR-DXB a daytime flight? If so, I really don't think it's that bad. I usually spend daytime flights (such as westbound EU-US flights which is when I flew the VS A330) enjoying the food and watching movies. I did catch a nap on that flight as well. There's also a bar to hang out at if you want. Most importantly, you get access to the LHR Clubhouse.
WAY better than being at the back! It actually departs at 10:25 pm so it's overnight. I'll get to spend eight quality hours at the LHR Clubhouse though!
Old May 23, 17, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG, HH
I need to book 2 tickets roundtrip CDG-FCO in October. However the delta search gives a lot of AZ flights, and due to recent AZ news I would rather book with AF... but there is little AF availability for the times I need.

Should I be worried about booking with AZ for a flight in October timeframe??
Old May 25, 17, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Question for the braintrust here..

Trying to book a flight one-way from FCO-SEA on KLM. I've verified with a Delta rep that there's mileage upgrade availability, but the agent said that I could only do that on Delta marketed and operated flights. The flight I was looking at was marketed by KLM, but operated by Delta.

This doesn't sound right to me... Is the agent blowing smoke?
Old May 26, 17, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Trying to piece together an itin on DL metal and partners from DEN-MLE.

Found:

DEN-LAX-PVG on DL metal in R/O class for 80k

PVG-MLE on MU O class for 70K.

What do I need to do to not have additive pricing? I can find availability so my layover is less than 24 hrs in PVG (and less than 4 in LAX) but alas no single revenue fare class exists.

When using DL.dumb cheapest I can get is 120K. Called DM line and they tried but could only get 150K. Said impossible. I feel like in the past I could get someone from ST line and they would magically make it happen. I suppose I'll just call again but any other recent tips and tricks?
Old May 27, 17, 12:24 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Trying to piece together an itin on DL metal and partners from DEN-MLE.

Found:

DEN-LAX-PVG on DL metal in R/O class for 80k

PVG-MLE on MU O class for 70K.

What do I need to do to not have additive pricing? I can find availability so my layover is less than 24 hrs in PVG (and less than 4 in LAX) but alas no single revenue fare class exists.

When using DL.dumb cheapest I can get is 120K. Called DM line and they tried but could only get 150K. Said impossible. I feel like in the past I could get someone from ST line and they would magically make it happen. I suppose I'll just call again but any other recent tips and tricks?
Did you tray LAX-PVG-MLE only? Are you sure the DL flights are all in normal R or O and not Rx and/or Ox (two letter fare code at a higher level)? It won't show until it tickets.. but if so, then it will be additive pricing.

Only sure way here would be to book LAX-PVG (or xxx-PVG) on MU and avoid DL flights. These days DL flights mixed with others will usually end up, one way or another, costing more.. so your only sure bet is (well, as sure as it gets) is to avoid flying DL.

That or something else like LAX-TPE-PVG-MLE (CI-MU) or LAX-CAN-PVG-MLE (CZ-MU) or LAX-ICN-PVG-MLE (KE-MU)... just avoid DL. Try it. Some such option may work.

Search this Thread