Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Thanks for your reply, michael_v.

Ah, so you reckon NA-Europe-Asia is a no-go? Have you tried booking it before anyway?

So, if I went west from NYC, could I do NYC-MEX (stop for a day)-TIJ-NRT-SIN? Would the MEX-NRT count as one segment (it stops in TIJ westbound because of MEX's elevation).
Oh, you can do NA-EU-Asia, it's just going to cost you a lot more than 130K.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:37 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Oh, you can do NA-EU-Asia, it's just going to cost you a lot more than 130K.
谢谢, mnredfox. Good to know.

I guess I'll stick to a random NA-Asia routing then. Would NYC-MEX-TIJ-NRT-SIN be acceptable?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
谢谢, mnredfox. Good to know.

I guess I'll stick to a random NA-Asia routing then. Would NYC-MEX-TIJ-NRT-SIN be acceptable?
Evidence has shown that DL does not like going through Mexico on the way to Europe. Asia may be different, but I doubt it. Let us know if you try it.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:48 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Are award bookings on partners always at the saver (lowest) award level?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by aau
yes
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Yes. Not like UA (those poor souls...)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:09 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I called twice today to book an eco open-jaw entirely within Southern SA using a mix of partners and both times quoted 40,000 miles, twice what I was expecting.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by aau
I called twice today to book an eco open-jaw entirely within Southern SA using a mix of partners and both times quoted 40,000 miles, twice what I was expecting.
See my response in the other thread - even though this was the correct thread you should have posted your questions in.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Trying to book CZ REP-CAN-LAX, flights are O1X8 and O1X2. EF sees it. AirFrance sees it. Delta does not .... requested a long sell from 4 different agents and all came back unconfirmed. Anybody have advice? I feel like this isn't an agent issue given I had 2 pretty competent-sounding agents out of the 4 who couldn't find anything.

FWIW I'm trying to book Business (O) but the rep isn't seeing Economy (X) either. The problem flight is CAN-LAX (the major one).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Trying to book CZ REP-CAN-LAX, flights are O1X8 and O1X2. EF sees it. AirFrance sees it. Delta does not .... requested a long sell from 4 different agents and all came back unconfirmed. Anybody have advice? I feel like this isn't an agent issue given I had 2 pretty competent-sounding agents out of the 4 who couldn't find anything.

FWIW I'm trying to book Business (O) but the rep isn't seeing Economy (X) either. The problem flight is CAN-LAX (the major one).
Try the HKG or SIN call center

and/or search for threads like this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...inventory.html
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:32 pm
aau

Originally Posted by michael_v
See my response in the other thread - even though this was the correct thread you should have posted your questions in.
Well my proposed trip was only 3 legs, so not sure where the 40,000 miles comes from. Still thanks for the link, it was helpful. One of the comments in that article says Delta needs 'X' bucket on AR for award travel, which contradicts the last post in this thread stating that 'T' is what's required.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aau
Yes, did you read the first part of the thread?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:40 am
aau

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Yes, did you read the first part of the thread?
Yes, and I was wondering if something had changed as Delta phone agents were pricing an award at a higher level than I was expecting. I read through the whole thread and now believe it my proposed award is not a valid routing and thus being treated as two separate awards. I don't know why it would not be a published routing as it is not anything outlandish, but I can't price it as a roundtrip on ITA, only as two one-ways.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aau
Yes, and I was wondering if something had changed as Delta phone agents were pricing an award at a higher level than I was expecting. I read through the whole thread and now believe it my proposed award is not a valid routing and thus being treated as two separate awards. I don't know why it would not be a published routing as it is not anything outlandish, but I can't price it as a roundtrip on ITA, only as two one-ways.
If it's higher and all on partners, then you're 100% right. If you're a PM/DM you can often book the ticket (with intent to cancel) and then decode the fare routing. Easier is to have the DL agent tell you over the phone, but often they are either too lazy or don't know how to do it (surprise surprise).

I had a challenging situation back in 2012, read posts 1359-1405 in the booking J awards thread. In fact, this is such a good topic I'll add it to the thread. Thanks for the idea.

Post 1359
Post 1405

Last edited by mnredfox; Nov 20, 2013 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:55 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I have a dolorous itinerary though I'm not sure if it's bookable: NYC-ICN-KTM (stay for a few days)-CAN-SIN (stop)-somewhere in East Asia-NYC.

Thanks,
BmB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.