Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Richard Anderson: 2013 is the year for Delta to advance its position around the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richard Anderson: 2013 is the year for Delta to advance its position around the world

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Just reviewed the Delta 2013 Flight Plan, initially an Internal Memo but later published by Dallas News.

Delta plan to continue the Win In New York strategy and open the new terminal at JFK in May. They will build their brand and presence in West Coast gateways.
And develop more partnerships internationally and improves SkyTeam connectivity.

Given some weak presence in Latin America, Hong Kong and Australia.
So here are my wish list of network additions I would love to see in 2013.

JFK - HKG
JFK - GIG
JFK - EZE
JFK - LIM

LAX - MEL (Melbourne Australia)
LAX - HKG

SEA - LHR
SEA - HKG
SEA - NGO

ATL - CNF
ATL - TLV

Any thoughts?

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...position.html/
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Bring back DTW-HKG (or MSP-HKG) and time it like the PVG flight is now.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA
My dream list would be:
DTW-ZRH
DTW-HKG (again)
JFK-PRG
ATL-VIE
ATL-IST

The DTW-HKG, honestly, is best suited to a 787. The 777LR was an overkill on the route.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm not sure why so many are hung up on the thought that DTW must be used for any new Asia service. I think Delta has the right idea with seeking out west coast gateways for Asia service. SEA is perfect for this. With the increased Alaska codeshare these flights should perform well with a good mix of origin/destination and connecting traffic.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:19 pm

DTW is a great connecting gateway for the Midwest and portions of the Northeast to get to Asia. However, using SEA as another access point to get to Asia is most sensible, considering the Asian populace in Washington state and the feed traffic from Alaska Air. Plus, it's an alternative access point for DL to use in the event of IRROPS elsewhere in the system.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm not sure why so many are hung up on the thought that DTW must be used for any new Asia service. I think Delta has the right idea with seeking out west coast gateways for Asia service. SEA is perfect for this. With the increased Alaska codeshare these flights should perform well with a good mix of origin/destination and connecting traffic.
I think its pretty clear where Delta is headed in terms of Asian non-stop.
Here are the flight from DTW and SEA.

DTW - NRT, NGO, PEK, PVG, ICN
SEA - NRT, HND, KIX, PEK, PVG

So Seattle has caught up with DTW in Asian depatures.
Sooner than later, we should be able to see HKG and NGO added.
ICN is already served with Korean.

Last edited by Windiesga; Jan 1, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Windiesga
I think its pretty clear where Delta is headed in terms of Asian non-stop.
Here are the flight from DTW and SEA.

So Seattle has caught up with DTW in Asian depatures.
Sooner than later, we should be able to see HKG and NGO added.
ICN is already served with Korean.
NGO is already on your list for both DTW and SEA.

The problem I have with the shifting focus to SEA is that I then must first take a long flight in domestic FC to SEA (where there aren't lots and lots of non stops per day) followed by a pretty short TPAC, which isn't good for sleeping. The return has the same problems as outbound, plus the risk of a long wait if immigration/baggage/customs/IROPs causes me to miss my connection.

ORD, LAX, SFO, and other international gateways that offer lots of choices other than DL begin to look very attractive. Their fares tend to be much better too.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Bring back DTW-HKG (or MSP-HKG) and time it like the PVG flight is now.
Was that on the 777?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 4:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Windiesga

LAX - MEL (Melbourne Australia)
LAX - HKG

SEA - LHR
SEA - HKG
I would definitely want those flights too, especially SEA-LHR. Don't care if it's to be DL or VS-operated as long as it's nonstop and earns MQM. Please throw a challenge to BA's daily 747 nonstop service!

It would be nice if DL goes back to all-season JFK-PRG and restores JFK-KBP at least seasonally.

Off-topic: For Skyteam my biggest wish is for SU SEA/SFO-SVO to be reinstated (one daily nonstop connection between West Coast and MOW is not enough and UN has already applied to service SFO) and for KE to offer ICN-OVB in addition to ICN-IKT.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:02 pm

The problem I have with the shifting focus to SEA is that I then must first take a long flight in domestic FC to SEA (where there aren't lots and lots of non stops per day) followed by a pretty short TPAC, which isn't good for sleeping. The return has the same problems as outbound, plus the risk of a long wait if immigration/baggage/customs/IROPs causes me to miss my connection.

ORD, LAX, SFO, and other international gateways that offer lots of choices other than DL begin to look very attractive. Their fares tend to be much better too.
Didn't think about the much shorter flight lengths from SEA. All the more reason to fly out of DTW to Asia for me. I'd rather spend 14 hrs in lie-flat bliss than four hours in domestic FC, a layover, and then ten or so in lie-flat from SEA.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

We are not talking about shifting services from DTW to SEA.
The 5 cities currently served thru DTW will remain as it.

What we are seeing is any new expansion to Asian flying will be from the West Coast in addition to the currently served routes from SEA. (NGO, HKG etc.)

Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:06 pm

LAX-MEL is already served nonstop by partner airline Virgin Australia with a 777 every other day. That route also has a daily nonstop Qantas A380 and a daily direct (stops in SYD) UA 747. I don't think DL is going to throw their hat in there.

JFK-EZE could be interesting now that AR is in SkyTeam. AR only goes as far as MIA. AA and LA already operate this route though, and UA operates JFK-EWR.

SEA-LHR would be weird. Presumably like most of the DL international flights from SEA it would rely on a fair amount AS feeder traffic. AS already feeds the BA flight to LHR through their partnership with AA. Feeding a competing DL or VS flight could be challenging, not to mention awkward.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
There are many mid to small markets in the Midwest and East that require a connection to get to SEA. AS still has a very limited presence in these markets. If DL doesn't serve them with one-stop flights to Asia, you can bet many will defect to UA and one-stop service through ORD.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
There are many mid to small markets in the Midwest and East that require a connection to get to SEA. AS still has a very limited presence in these markets. If DL doesn't serve them with one-stop flights to Asia, you can bet many will defect to UA and one-stop service through ORD.
Is it profitable though? If DL runs the numbers and finds that SEA is outperforming DTW then I think it would be silly of them to continue to operate redundant ultra-long haul flights. It may be more cost effective to let go of those Midwest passengers and let them connect at ORD if a one stop flight is valuable to them. Ideally long-haul routes should have a good % of origin/destination passengers. SEA seems to be the better gateway IMO. If such demand existed in Detroit you would see competition from the major Asian carriers. They would not allow DL to have it all to themselves...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
LAX-South America

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.