Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VDB @ DTW; Does this make any sense?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:40 pm

Strange the way DL do VDBs. Over the holidays, just about everything DL was oversold at SFO (I spent a lot of time at the airport). One flight was oversold by 27 and they offered DL$400 for VDB. They were very few takers and DL just IDBed 20+ pax. Flight I
was on was oversold by 5, and I was offered(and got) DL$600 (I rebumped for DL$400 per later). My flight was international.

Agreed with exwannabe that the kiosk VDB information collection if stat collection and not used at the gate.

The GA told me a family stayed at the airport for 3 days during the holidays a couple of years ago collecting VDBs. Nice.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
I volunteered for $400 exDTW two days ago--and literally gave up my UG to do so, as I was already in my seat enjoying a PDB. A few hours later I was almost able to get bumped again for $600, but then a family of booked passengers had the nerve to cancel. And my original flight was paid for by a voucher I received for volunteering on yet another exDTW flight a month ago.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Bump dispute at DTW

Last Sunday evening I was ticketed on the last flight of the day from DTW to DCA. Just before boarding commenced an announcement was made requesting one volunteer for a possible oversale. The offer included a $400 travel voucher, a meal voucher, overnight in a hotel and travel on Monday morning. I leaped and presented my boarding pass to the agent who had made the announcement. She asked me to hold off boarding until near the end when they would know if my seat were really needed.
A guy approached the podium and explained why he should be the volunteer. After a brief discussion, he boarded.
A woman was waiting in line behind him and explained why she should be the volunteer.
Another woman explained to the agent why she should be the volunteer.
I left to visit the restroom.
When I returned the gate agent told me my seat was not needed. I looked around and saw an unaccompanied large roller bag and no pax. Curious. I boarded and flew to DCA.
I thought it was bad form to argue with gate agents over who should be bumped. The gate agents have all the information and all the cards. I don't question their decisions.
Oddly, a flight to Nashville, Tn., at an adjacent gate was oversold by eight pax. Six volunteers came forward. The gate agent announced that they would resort to invols if necessary.
Bumping: some love it; some hate it.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ryanm
. . . . .but then a family of booked passengers had the nerve to cancel.
I agree!!!!! How dare they!

For those of us who live for VDBs, it's simply amazing, the thoughts that go thru our minds at these times when the adrenaline is flowing, and you really REALLLLLLLY want that voucher!

Years ago, I was #1 to vol on SFO/DTW (NW). They needed 2 vols, so they skipped over me to a couple who were #2 & #3 on the list. Maaaaaan! I was peeved! Of course, there's nothing you can do. They can use whoever they want - there are no rules - whoever is the most convenient for the GA!

So, I boarded the plane. Just seconds before the door closed, I was comfy in F, and the GA came to me on the plane and asked if I still wanted to vol, as a late arriving pax got to the gate from a delayed NRT flight. Yay!

She told me that technically, she could deny him for arriving late, but she didn't feel that was the right thing to do to a WBC pax! Good for me!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by ryanm
I volunteered for $400 exDTW two days ago--and literally gave up my UG to do so, as I was already in my seat enjoying a PDB. A few hours later I was almost able to get bumped again for $600, but then a family of booked passengers had the nerve to cancel. And my original flight was paid for by a voucher I received for volunteering on yet another exDTW flight a month ago.
quite annoying when a passenger cancels or misses a flight you are on track to get VDB $$ for...lol!! missed out on VDB cash yesterday also, when a family of 4 were decided to be no-shows
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by Orion
Last Sunday evening I was ticketed on the last flight of the day from DTW to DCA. Just before boarding commenced an announcement was made requesting one volunteer for a possible oversale. The offer included a $400 travel voucher, a meal voucher, overnight in a hotel and travel on Monday morning. I leaped and presented my boarding pass to the agent who had made the announcement. She asked me to hold off boarding until near the end when they would know if my seat were really needed.
A guy approached the podium and explained why he should be the volunteer. After a brief discussion, he boarded.
A woman was waiting in line behind him and explained why she should be the volunteer.
Another woman explained to the agent why she should be the volunteer.
I left to visit the restroom.
When I returned the gate agent told me my seat was not needed. I looked around and saw an unaccompanied large roller bag and no pax. Curious. I boarded and flew to DCA.
I thought it was bad form to argue with gate agents over who should be bumped. The gate agents have all the information and all the cards. I don't question their decisions.
Oddly, a flight to Nashville, Tn., at an adjacent gate was oversold by eight pax. Six volunteers came forward. The gate agent announced that they would resort to invols if necessary.
Bumping: some love it; some hate it.
I witnessed an IDB in OMA once during spring break travel season. The GA was begging for 4 volunteers to leave the next morning to ATL, but all the passengers on the flight ignored (strange right?). Out of frustration the GA actually shut the boarding door before the last 5 passengers could get on. He was explaining to them why they should take the bump (FC seat, hotel, meal vouchers). Unfortunately, his strategy didnt work, so the 4 passengers with "seat request cards" were given IDB. There was a lot of crying and screaming i must say, from two dramatic sisters.

there ougtha be rehab for VDB addicts...i would definitely sign-up along with "DaveTravels" .
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by naijaman
there ougtha be rehab for VDB addicts...i would definitely sign-up along with "DaveTravels" .
Count me in. In the meantime, though, I'm trying to route all my connections through DTW, since VDBs there have been so lucrative for me the last couple months.

And truth be told, I don't mind the wait there: it's big enough to get some real exercise; the food/drink options are passable (even edible sushi); and, related to this, at least the A concourse is a good deal more international than most American airports. CPH it's not, but for the US a decent place to wait between VDBs.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by naijaman
Nooooooooo!!!!! No str8 jacket for me!!! I don't want rehab - - - I want to perfect my VDB booking and negotiating technique, to get more, MORE, MORE!!!

Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I just hope that someone in the first 4 VDB's in this tale, accepted their $50 bid. That always cracks me up.
None did. The offers started @ $600. If you're referring to the kiosk bids of $50, and other "straw man" amounts offered by the kiosk, they were not used in this "tale". As many on here have stated and it's true IME, the kiosk amounts have no bearing on the VDB comp. actually offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.