Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changed to earlier flight on Delta-booked WestJet flight, will I get MQM/MQS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire

Last Sunday I changed, at the gate, from a 6:20PM LGA-YYZ flight to a 4:55PM LGA-YYZ flight, as I had a long layover. I'm Gold, if that matters.

Both flights were code share with WestJet, and had both Delta and WestJet flight numbers.

I booked the flight through Delta and my ticket was Delta-issued. The first leg of this flight was Delta mainline and the last two legs (home on Thurs) are Delta carriers.

However, my receipt currently shows "EXCH" for that segment and my MQMs and MQS haven't posted. The earlier segment that day has "FLWN" and has already posted.

WestJet usually posts by EOD next business day, in my experience.

I'm mostly concerned because this segment is the key to making Platinum this year - without it I'll be at 99.

I filled out a mileage request form earlier today but have heard nothing. I still have my boarding pass from WestJet and it has my SkyMiles number on it

Should I call? Should I be concerned?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I don't see WestJet as a Delta partner on their website:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../airlines.html
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:25 pm

Did they reissue the ticket at the gate? Does your boarding pass have a ticket number? If so, does the ticket number start with something other than 006? That might explain the delay.

If you submitted a request already I'd wait and see what happens for a few days. As long as you still have the boarding pass you should be able to get credit eventually.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Builderman
Did they reissue the ticket at the gate? Does your boarding pass have a ticket number? If so, does the ticket number start with something other than 006? That might explain the delay.

If you submitted a request already I'd wait and see what happens for a few days. As long as you still have the boarding pass you should be able to get credit eventually.
It appears that they did, as the ticket number on my BP is not the same as the ticket number on my original ticket and does not begin with 006.

WestJet is a code share. I've flown a Delta-purchased, Delta-issued, WestJet-operated flight before through LGA (probably 10+ times in the last few months) and not had an issue with credit. I've also learned the hard way that you must check in at the WestJet counter and not the Delta counter in YYZ.

However, I've never switched from one WestJet flight to another before mid-stream like this.

My main worry is that it credits before the end of the year so I make Platinum. If I think it will take until after the new year, I might try to SDC my flight on Thursday to add a segment, although given the season, that might not happen.

I deliberately added extra segments over the last month so that I'd make 100, so this is making me extra crazy! Rollover won't help me at all since I'm at 56K miles and 97 segments (99 after my last trip of the year on Thursday).

I am also now worried that if they reissued the ticket, it might affect my return trip on Thursday (which is straight Delta carriers through DTW, no WestJet component). It's making me want to call tomorrow just to be sure.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have SDC'd many times from DL JFK to DL coded WS LGA YYZ and always got the segment and MQM credits.
The purpose is to meet up with my friends or relatives in NYC.

DL is code sharing WS transborder flights.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
I have SDC'd many times from DL JFK to DL coded WS LGA YYZ and always got the segment and MQM credits.
The purpose is to meet up with my friends or relatives in NYC.

DL is code sharing WS transborder flights.
That makes me feel better, thanks!

Did you SDC through Delta? I did this at the WestJet gate and was evidently reissued a WS ticket...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kitkat77
That makes me feel better, thanks!

Did you SDC through Delta? I did this at the WestJet gate and was evidently reissued a WS ticket...
It was call in or Twitter. As I understand coterminal SDC is a benefit at my status level.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Slightly OT, but if I purchase a WestJet ticket directly from WestJet, is it eligible for DL SkyMiles credit and MQM?

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Dec 19, 2012 at 6:10 am
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Slightly OT, but if I purchase a WestJet ticket directly from WestJet, is it eligible for DL SkyMiles credit and MQM?
I'm not sure. If it's not a code-share flight with Delta, I think you get WS dollars that way and not SkyMiles. I've flown both Delta-operated with WS flight number (DTW-YYZ, I think), and WS operated with Delta flight number (LGA-YYZ) and gotten credit, but both tickets were booked through Delta.

I didn't SDC officially with Delta, I changed the flight with the WestJet gate. I think that might have been the problem and I'll have to remember to call Delta in the future.

Nothing is showing up yet. I'm going to wait until this afternoon and call the Gold line and make sure everything is okay with the rest of the ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Update (in case anyone gets into this situation):

I called the Delta Gold line and they gave me the runaround a bit (website issues, wait until the round trip finishes, blah blah), and after putting me on hold a few times, finally got to the root of the problem.

The WestJet gate agent did reissue the ticket under a WS ticket number and if I hadn't called, it likely wouldn't have posted properly. The Gold agent got the SkyMiles support to enter that number in manually.

But, now I have a pending transaction on the SkyMiles account with the WS ticket number, nothing for the original DL ticket number, it only shows LGA-YYZ and not MCO-LGA, and no segments appear, but I'll give it a day to even out.

In the future, I'll call Delta to SDC rather than using the WestJet gate agent, that's for sure!!

Also, I think I'll be calling again on Friday....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.