Wiki Posts
Search

Heaviest Xmas travel day?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Heaviest Xmas travel day?

So it's been a number of years since I had to fly over the holidays, I'm asking for your opinions. I'm flying into SFO from TPE. From there on DL, SFO/ATL/STT. I fly F, so I'm not worried about U/G, just the airport madhouse.

So when do you think would be the best day, starting 21/12/2012?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 122554
So it's been a number of years since I had to fly over the holidays, I'm asking for your opinions. I'm flying into SFO from TPE. From there on DL, SFO/ATL/STT. I fly F, so I'm not worried about U/G, just the airport madhouse.

So when do you think would be the best day, starting 21/12/2012?
At SFO, late in the day Dec 24 or Dec 25, as a guess.

The only concern I would have with this itinerary is the international to domestic transfer at SFO - not that it's a problem, but just allowing sufficient time. MCT at SFO is at least 1 hr 30-45 min depending on the carrier that operates your TPE-SFO flight, and for comfort I'd add a half hour to that.

As to the "airport madhouse", not sure there's really much difference airside at airports over the holidays. The difference is when passing through security, with a much higher percentage of infrequent travelers than usual.

On this itinerary, you'll arrive at the SFO International terminal, and then your onward flight will depart from T1 which is a 10-15 minute walk. You'll enter DL's domestic gates 40-48 through the normal security checkpoint along with everyone else.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Should have added in that I'll probably fly in a day early and check into a hotel for the night. My flight would leave TPE at 2330 and arrive in SFO 4 hours before I left. I have a 12 hour time difference to adjust to!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnbp
At SFO, late in the day Dec 24 or Dec 25, as a guess.
The airlines run dramatically reduced schedules on the 25th. I can guarantee the airport is going to be pretty dead on the 25th. I suspect the traffic is going to be pretty much spread over the 21st - 24th with many likely taking off work on the 24th and making the holiday a long weekend.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
The busiest days for Delta are the 20th, 21st, 26th, 27th and 28th. The slowest that week are the 25th, 24th and the 22nd, in that order.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta, United
I would have thought the 22nd would have been a busy day.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Assuming the poster meant that the 25th is the slowest, followed by the 24th and then the 22nd, that makes sense. Given that the 25th is on a Tuesday this year, probably not as many people flying out on the previous Saturday for the holiday, though busier than the 24/25 dates.

Flew to ORD a few years ago on Christmas day. Very quiet day for travel.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
TATL (and I imagine TPAC as well) will be 12/21 12/20 12/22 IMO.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:32 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Yeah I wouldn't be surporised if the 22nd is very busy this year because it is the Saturday before Christmas, I suspect a lot of people would want to travel with the family that day.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
With Christmas eve/day on mon-tues, it creates a longer weekend for many people, which will push travel dates to fri and sat as being busier. Thurs afternoon/evening won't be pretty either.

Christmas and new years weeks are ultra-peak in STT. Fyi, ATL-STT on the 22nd are J0 across the board, 23rd is J1Y1, 24th is J2Y0 for inventory, so those are packed/oversold. Not much better for availability on the 25th. I think at this point with little time left to departure, inventory availability is the bigger issue than when the airports are a zoo.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM
I am amazed by the pulldown in schedules on 12/23 and 12/30 (and 12/31). Some popular city pairs (DTW-ORD/MDW, DTW-SEA, DTW-PHX) are receiving a fraction of the normal flight schedule.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Agreed... I suppose they're really able to push pricing power and jack up the cost with less flights.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Three comments ---

1) The difference between Xmas and Turkey Day is not everyone is traveling the same days --- (for example the college students that typically have a couple of weeks off).

2) More people are getting picked up/ being dropped off, so car traffic at airports is heavier than normal, but the planes aren't any more full because they're normally jammed anyway these days.

3) In some parts of the country, there is heavy traffic for the bowl games. One friend who went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago described the experience as being in a crowd all the time starting with when he got to the airport.

Bob H

Last edited by BobH; Dec 17, 2012 at 8:02 am
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm flying MCO-MSP-LAS on the 21st, then LAS-CVG redeye on the 24th, and then CVG-MCO Christmas morning.

Both of my outbound flights look like they could be oversold, but I was already upgraded on MCO-MSP on the 15th. The LAS-CVG flight looks at least half empty, while the CVG-MCO flight looks oversold as well.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Flying out of BOS on Dec 22. I am mentally prepared for extra-long lines at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.