Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Gold Medallion SDC question.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Question New Gold Medallion SDC question.

Hey guys, I've got a flight coming up booked on a ATL-BOS-SLC-OAK route. After obtaining gold status, I'm thinking about altering my route from miles to passenger friendly.

I'm looking to reroute by changing planes in LAX (arriving on the 777), THEN, from LAX, getting on a flight 4-6 hours later to OAK (want to enjoy the beach for a few hours ). Per DL.com, it looks like it would only let me change the first part of the equation.

Is it even possible do to a SDC so many hours after your originally scheduled departure? If so, can you do this through delta.com or through an agent only?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:55 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Advances2Declines
. . . . . THEN, from LAX, getting on a flight 4-6 hours later to OAK (want to enjoy the beach for a few hours ).
Assuming that you're on a continuous fare, and not a broken fare, or 2 separate fares, of some sort, you cannot (in most cases) have a layover on domestic tickets longer than 4 hours, or it creates a stopover, and completely changes your fare sturcture.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Another question...

Being new to SDC I didn't know that, thanks.

Hypothetically, say there was a flight out LAX within the 4 hour window, but it required a connection in SLC or MSP as opposed to a direct into OAK. Is that allowed?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Every fare has valid routings, and maximum number of connections allowed. I'm quite surprised to find that BOS is on a legal routing from ATL to OAK!

Anyway, here are valid routings from ATL to OAK:

1. ATL-ATL/BOS/CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/SLC-OAK
2. ATL-BOS/LAX/NYC-SLC-OAK
3. ATL-BOS/NYC-CVG-OAK
4. ATL-BOS/NYC-DTT-OAK
5. ATL-BOS/NYC-MSP-OAK
6. ATL-CVG-ATL/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/SLC-OAK
7. ATL-CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/NYC/SLC-OAK
8. ATL-CVG/DTT/LAX/MEM/MSP/SLC-OAK
9. ATL-DTT-ATL/CVG/LAX/MEM/MSP/SLC-OAK
10. ATL-MEM-ATL/CVG/DTT/LAX/MSP/SLC-OAK
11. ATL-MSP-DTT/LAX/MEM/SLC-OAK
12. ATL-NYC-ATL-OAK
13. ATL-NYC-MEM-OAK
14. ATL-OAK
15. ATL-SLC-LAX-OAK

Try'n figure out that mess! I used to be a travel agent.

An over simplifiaction of the above would be, something like . . . A slash is a "OR" and a dash is an "AND". So for every dash, you can add another connection point.

Your ticket's routing fits under routing #2.

Credit for the above info to ExpertFlyer
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Good to know..FWIW that ATL-NYC-ATL routing looks interesting, without knowing how it's priced.

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm quite surprised to find that BOS is on a legal routing from ATL to OAK!
Yeah, not sure how much longer that'll be around. Same for a few others...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of these are interesting for maximizing miles:

6. ATL-CVG-ATL-OAK

9. ATL-DTW-ATL-OAK

11. ATL-MSP-MEM-OAK

12. ATL-NYC-ATL-OAK
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some of these are interesting for maximizing miles:

6. ATL-CVG-ATL-OAK

9. ATL-DTW-ATL-OAK

11. ATL-MSP-MEM-OAK

12. ATL-NYC-ATL-OAK
Yeah, I saw that, too! Could this, somehow, be the beginning of an explanation of DL.com's infamous negative layovers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.