Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Airlines Business Class awards available - Is CI any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:58 am
Original Poster

CI has plenty of availability in Business at the moment, LAX-TPE and onwards to places like MNL. Their business class doesn't seem to have lie flat beds though like CZ.

Has any one used them in business? Wonder if they charge YQ on award tickets?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I would check on A Net and Skytrax for reviews.

Dave
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
CI has only a few aircraft with newer seats, still not true lie flat, but a bigger recline and somewhat comfortable. Most of CI aircraft business class is equivalent to most others' premium economy or domestic "first" (yes, it is even worse than the horrible DL 767-300ER "BusinessElite"): a wider seat with a bit more recline, but not nearly enough to assume any comfortable position. That is the reason why CI has so much O availability, and usually less or no S availability: it's business class is really premium economy, and thus is a rather poor value for the miles. (Unless you are on one of the few routes where CI has its newer aircraft, and I think that LAX may be one of those routes...but check on china-airlines.com for more info.)
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Check the "Other Asian airlines" section here on FT. There's someone who keeps a pretty comprehensive list of information on the Taiwanese carriers (CI and BR).
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
I just booked CI out of and back to JFK in March in J. Looks like they are planning to have the reconfigured 744 on the route by then since there is no first class offered on the flights.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If MNL is your goal the easiest/best ST biz redemption is CZ LAX CAN MNL.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Thanks tentseller .... only issue with CZ is the high taxes ($330) ... just wondering if CI was an alternate ... but from what I've gathered CZ is by far the best with true lie flat seats in Business.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikepa
Thanks tentseller .... only issue with CZ is the high taxes ($330) ... just wondering if CI was an alternate ... but from what I've gathered CZ is by far the best with true lie flat seats in Business.
Yes, also A380 for some TPAC now. CZ hard product is newer.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by tentseller:19803562
Personally I prefer KE which has minimal YQ & also an A380 on the LAX leg going LAX-ICN-MNL.

Plus transiting ICN has to be top 5 in the world in terms of ease of use.... transiting mainland china of the other hand: let's just say their airports are not yet in the top 5.

Fyi neither is Taiwan's IMHO; the CI TPE terminal I transited last week was a total dump.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OLYflyer
Personally I prefer KE which has minimal YQ & also an A380 on the LAX leg going LAX-ICN-MNL.

Plus transiting ICN has to be top 5 in the world in terms of ease of use.... transiting mainland china of the other hand: let's just say their airports are not yet in the top 5.

Fyi neither is Taiwan's IMHO; the CI TPE terminal I transited last week was a total dump.
In terms of the complete package for TPAC I would not dispute the superior KE product.

However CZ has the best availability which is more suitable for date critical trips. My situation is also different for I can feast in Guangzhou, doing my version of "The Layover" without waiting at the airport.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I def would go for KE, MU, or CZ's more business like products (i.e. flat beds). Heck, if you can score a DL flatbed via 747, 76W, or 77L I'd do that over CI.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
I just did SFO/TPE in October business. Not a true lie-flat, but the same as KL or AF medal. I also did TPE/HKG/TPE in November. 330 on the way out with a 744 return. Even had F class on it!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:18 am

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
Even though the YQ/taxes are levied, I wouldn't forget about MH either.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I def would go for KE, MU, or CZ's more business like products (i.e. flat beds). Heck, if you can score a DL flatbed via 747, 76W, or 77L I'd do that over CI.
CZ has great availability - 2 tickets just about every day for 120K miles. CI has a lot of days. DL has no low and most medium aren't that convenient.

Though the DL hard product (the lie flats) are great, I'm told the CZ flight attendants are up to Asian standards so the service is likely to be superior to DL. It is sad to say that while the DL BE flight attendants do give good service they don't go the extra mile; using your name for instance. Asian crews will often use your name even when you're not in your seat - I don't know how they do it, but it's a nice feeling.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: DL DM MM; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat, Lifetime Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mikepa
CZ has great availability - 2 tickets just about every day for 120K miles. CI has a lot of days. DL has no low and most medium aren't that convenient.

Though the DL hard product (the lie flats) are great, I'm told the CZ flight attendants are up to Asian standards so the service is likely to be superior to DL. It is sad to say that while the DL BE flight attendants do give good service they don't go the extra mile; using your name for instance. Asian crews will often use your name even when you're not in your seat - I don't know how they do it, but it's a nice feeling.
CZ does have great availability coming from LAX, but I found that if you are coming from the east coast to LAX and want F or J for that leg (ex-ATL for example) it will significantly bump up the required mileage, as there isn't any DL low award availability to LAX. I'm sure you can monitor availability, but when booking out several months, it just isn't there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.