Wiki Posts
Search

Proof Delta Flew Boeing 767s to DCA!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Proof Delta Flew Boeing 767s to DCA!

Good morning!

Shortly before Barack Obama's inauguration in 2009, Delta did a handful of route proving flights ATL-DCA using the 767-300. The first of these flights was on ship 136 (if memory serves). I non-rev'd on the first route proving flight ATL-DCA specifically for this purpose.

Anyway, I was going through some photo archives from 2008 and figure I'd share a few of the shots I took with the forum here. Perhaps some of you will appreciate the uniqueness of these shots, as widebodies into DCA is something you hardly ever see (and from what I understand, hasn't been seen since)! The issue with DCA was, of course, not DCA's runway length, but the "tightness" of National's taxiways in terms of their proximity to active runways and other taxiways. Anyway, on to the photos...

Gate A19. I've boarded many 767 flights to Florida and the west coast from this gate, as I suspect many have you have as well!

In the climb out, DCA-bound:

As this was an equipment swap from a 757, it was a relatively empty flight:

I was hoping that we'd be assigned the River Visual approach to runway 19, and it turns out that's what happened!

Our gigantic bird parked at DCA's gate 21, the only 767-capable gate on the B pier:

As I said, the issue with DCA isn't runway length, but taxiway clearance with the 767's wingspan, as you can see here:

I didn't stay long. I was cleared onto the DCA-ATL return leg immediately after I deplaned. So long, DCA!

Date of this flight was December 8, 2009 and aircraft was N136DL. Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by simuflite; Jan 1, 2014 at 12:56 am
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Ahh, the RIVER Visual for RWY 19. Perhaps my favorite approach in the US. Thanks for the cool pix. I remember seeing some 767's subbed into RDU in the early 2000's.

I'm going to guess that DL @ DCA doesn't have cargo loaders, so I guess they just bulk loaded the pits? Maybe that's why I count *9* rampers in the picture above.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
There was also a 767-300 on ATL-DCA-ATL on the Sunday after Thanksgiving a week ago - one of my friends non-rev'd on it and said it was quite the takeoff out of DCA.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Maybe that's why I count *9* rampers in the picture above.
I count 10!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I flew on one of the 767s ATL-DCA after the inauguration... in February or March, I believe. It was a last minute swap, IIRC. Quite windy on the landing (and no river visual).
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Skyteam
That's pretty empty flight.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
I count 10!
I can't count obviously!

Actually, there's 11 if you count the guy by the catering truck, which may not be a ramper.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Wow!!!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! When I'm not upgraded, I enjoy being in the back on the 767 -- spacious in a number of seats on the 2 sides.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Delta DM, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy the photos in this thread.

I was curious if anyone knew or if there was a way to find out if there were any widebody aircraft coming in for the inauguration this weekend? I would really love to head down to gravelly point to check them out.

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by jblpro5
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoy the photos in this thread.

I was curious if anyone knew or if there was a way to find out if there were any widebody aircraft coming in for the inauguration this weekend? I would really love to head down to gravelly point to check them out.

Thanks!
You can go to flightaware.com and scan/scroll through the scheduled incoming flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.