Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta joins Sprit on the "naughty" list....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta joins Sprit on the "naughty" list....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Consumer Reports is a joke IME. This article is a good example of why. Someone upthread mentioned them being jack of all trades , master of none... thats a solid way to describe CR
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Well-deserved.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Maybe BMW is on the naughty list for providing tarmac rides for Delta pax at ATL?

David
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by ohmark
I assume the reason for the Delta inclusion was the "for just" wording of the offer. It made me laugh the first few times I saw the wording.
This is true. It of course doesn't justify their inclusion on the list, but companies need to knock off with trying to use the words "just" and "only" as if they magically make ridiculously high prices seem lower.

I remember seeing a photo of a bottle of water at a hotel labelled "Just $6.95". Sorry, hotel, you ain't foolin' anybody.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:49 am

While the prices are high compared to T fares Delta at least makes it clear how much it will cost as opposed to some other airlines
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Consumer Reports is a joke IME. This article is a good example of why. Someone upthread mentioned them being jack of all trades , master of none... thats a solid way to describe CR
+1. I have never been a fan of CR.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems to me that if there's an issue with the "flex this fare" option, it's that the additional price is quoted on a one-way rather than RT basis when a RT ticket is being purchased and there's no way at that point to pick the flexibility for only one direction. However, of course one could go back and re-do the booking with a flexible fare to see the RT price or one could purchase two one way tickets with only one of them being flexible or obviously or one could call DL and ask for a RT on one PNR using the flexible fare in one direction.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: DL PM, QR Silver, AC 50K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Maybe it's just because I went to Catholic schools and am now a lapsed Catholic, but I actually prefer fraternizing with naughty people. Now let me go book my flight on Delta.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Stripe
No reasonable person who considered the economic value of the "flexibility" would ever pay 3X the ticket price to get it.
It can be economically rational to buy flexibility at that price. Consider the case where my company sends me to a branch office to fix a problem, and wants me to return as soon as possible after it's fixed. There's a 10% chance that I'll take the ticketed flight (and less for any other flight). Flexibility (especially if I didn't have status for free SDC) could be valuable.

I agree with MSPeconomist that quoting the cost one-way is wrong; that should be just as disallowed as quoting one-way fares, unless it can actually be purchased. The same applies to upgrades, when they quote "per segment" but the real cost (if I try to buy only for some segments) is a lot higher.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:48 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Consider the Source

For quite a while Consumer Reports has long stopped being about unbiased reviews and more about advocacy of a position.

There expert reviews are a joke of you know anything about the industry or items they are reviewing.

Most of the time they produce these lists, you can usually trace it back to some position that CR is pushing that the company listed disagrees with.

CR is junk science at its worse.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a shame. Many years ago they seemed respectable and respected.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by rthib
CR is junk science at its worse.
Couldn't have said it better myself, so I'll just give it a ^^
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
It's funny to read the disparaging comments about CR from the Delta lovefest crew

This from CR mission statement - "Consumer Reports is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves".

I respect CR, but I never consider their opinions as gospel. They approach things from the consumers standpoint. I'd say most unbiased folks would say they were spot on on Delta and the poor value provided by the "flex" fare purchase.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I do have to wonder how they make money on these for most people...

Seems that if I a non-refundable ticket I could change it many times over and still come in under the price of a flex fare even with the potential increases in fare.
The basic problem is that you still can't refund your non-refundable ticket. Once in a long while, I would get a last minute travel request (on Friday, leave Sunday night so outside of the 24 hour grace period) that wasn't quite confirmed but I should still book travel. If non-refundable tickets were $1300 and the refundable ones were $1500, it's a no-brainer to pick the refundable one in this scenario. If you're booking far enough in advance, then $250 versus $800 is much more significant.

Also, some government employees are required to book refundable airfare.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by etrnjanin
Also, some government employees are required to book refundable airfare.
Most if not all government contract fares are fully refundable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.