Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Lacks HKG Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by cdubose98
No personal experience with either one, but recently I've read many good things about the in-flight experience on Garuda, although I've also read that the ground experience can be hit or miss.
Until GA overhauled its safety program, that phrase also applied to the landing experience.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by HongKonger
No, I wouldn't do that. If I have to waitlist a short segment or two I don't mind but the transoceanic and long domestic segments have to be available at purchase or I don't buy the M fare.

What I meant was, if you can wait a while before you get tickets, set EF alerts and something will probably open up. Then you can UG at the time of purchase.
That's what I've been doing but when I look closely it seems that there is less and less Z inventory on anything that would get me to HKG (with a long BE on flat beds).
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vincentharris
I hope every day DL will announce a non stop from ATL-HKG. No one in the southeast runs a Blank-HKG non stop so there is a lot of missed opportunity there. It does not even have to be a daily non stop it could be 1-2 times a week. There is a large Cantonese population in the southeast that people often forget about. I flew HKG-NRT-ATL, and honestly its a very odd routed flight, and personally I do not like NRT very much.
They still have to do NRT and HKG flights and it would depend on the data of how many seats are booked for ATL to HKG that actually wind up on connection flights. But even if they could fill planes with just ATL to HKG traffic, they would need to acquire appropriate aircraft, and work out a deal with Hong Kong for direct service.

If anyone did additional nonstop service @ Hong Kong my guess is it would be Hong Kong Airlines when they get their new deliveries in 2015 and some USA routes could be opened up.

Delta has no plans to order any additional long range aircraft as it is focused on strengthen its domestic and regional fleets for now. It is possible down the road Delta could desire expansion of long haul international, and procure more aircraft but to date that doesn't seem to be happening.

Just reporting what is going on based on publically available information. Behind the scenes a change could be implemented some day and Delta could surprise us with orders of long haul aircraft IF the market so demanded it. But connection flights while less convenient still seem to be more efficient and more common for routes to the longer distances.

Singapore at the end of 2013 will have A340-500 on the market with a really long range and the equipment is really nice. I really do hope another airline acquires those 5 planes and keeps them in service with other long haul routes opened up, perhaps still to Singapore or other Nations. The equipment is really too good to give up. I hope it doesn't get boneyarded or stored and instead could be put back to usage.

Last edited by adamj023; Nov 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL charter DM2MM, UA Silver, marriott lifetime titanium hilton lif diamond , national exec elite
atl to hnl

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Why is that a vanity route? Have you ever seen it less than 90% full? I highly doubt there's more days in a year than you can count on one hand when it's not at >90% full.

Obviously HNL-MSP and HNL-DTW were not vanity routes for NW/DL, nor are HNL-EWR or HNL-IAD for UA (in fact, the latter was just recently launched), nor is HNL-JFK for HA. DL has a lot of competition and is being pushed into obscurity by UA and HA here already for direct and convenient service from east coast to HNL (now having such a small share of seats on it), a market in which there is a lot of demand and which fills the planes (though as for the profitability, that you'd need to ask Rev Mgmnt).
i fly ATl-HNL a fair amount and they are often quite full... i had a FA come back from F one time to chat and thank me(sitting in the first row of Y) for being a diamond. she wondered why i as a diamond would be stuck back here and offered me a couple complimentary glenlivet/rocks... she then proceeded to tell me that the route typically has a lot of passengers on award tickets...

now this is certainly anecdotal evidence but wouldn't "lots of award tickets" in F decrease profitibility (not entirely sure how they are accounted moneywise)?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by whammerkid
i fly ATl-HNL a fair amount and they are often quite full... i had a FA come back from F one time to chat and thank me(sitting in the first row of Y) for being a diamond. she wondered why i as a diamond would be stuck back here and offered me a couple complimentary glenlivet/rocks... she then proceeded to tell me that the route typically has a lot of passengers on award tickets...

now this is certainly anecdotal evidence but wouldn't "lots of award tickets" in F decrease profitibility (not entirely sure how they are accounted moneywise)?
Have you ever seen a low BE award on it available (esp. over the last year or two)? I haven't it. It doesn't seem to exist (not since HNL-MSP and HNL-DTW were cut at least).

I guess that some with no good use for their SkyZimbabweDollars may use them for mid or high award tickets for this flight, which are a horrible value... and if it's many doing that, wow, well then DL really has the wool over their heads. But, there never being any low BE awards on it (and almost never economy, either) would lead me to think that not that many awards are redeemed for it... that is, if DL customers are rational in their SM spend.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

DTW HKG was a money loser for DL. Out of 5 RT on this route all with fares in the Y cabin I was opuped 8/10.
I also did not notice many revenue generating freight containers loaded.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tentseller
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

DTW HKG was a money loser for DL. Out of 5 RT on this route all with fares in the Y cabin I was opuped 8/10.
I also did not notice many revenue generating freight containers loaded.
Don't the opups usually mean they sold out Y? That doesn't sound too bad...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nothing but cheap package tours do not make a profitable flight.
I tend to think the people in Network know what they're doing with the leisure Japan flying. Guam in February 2013 has 43 weekly flights on Delta, versus 16 on Northwest in February 2005 (most of which were props to Rota). Even compared to Guam February 2008, it was only 28 weekly flights. Overall seats into Guam are up 30.9% in Feb13 over Feb08.

SPN is down a bit in Feb13 vs Feb08.

HNL is up significantly - 16 more flights, 80% more seats comparing Feb13/Feb05. Feb13/Feb08 is 16 more flights, 70% more seats now. FUK and NGO are new destinations over the past five years too.

ROR has gone from a 2x/wk flight in that first year to now being 3x/wk.

Given that most of these markets are up significantly, it tells me that whatever the markets Delta is going after here is working (and I honestly don't know the mix of consolidator/tour traffic on this route). Given the public commentary on scaling way back on unprofitable long-haul flying, I tend to believe that if a route isn't performing, it's getting the ax, and if one is performing well, it's getting extra seats.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL charter DM2MM, UA Silver, marriott lifetime titanium hilton lif diamond , national exec elite
Have you ever seen a low BE award on it available (esp. over the last year or two)? I haven't it. It doesn't seem to exist (not since HNL-MSP and HNL-DTW were cut at least).

I guess that some with no good use for their SkyZimbabweDollars may use them for mid or high award tickets for this flight, which are a horrible value... and if it's many doing that, wow, well then DL really has the wool over their heads. But, there never being any low BE awards on it (and almost never economy, either) would lead me to think that not that many awards are redeemed for it... that is, if DL customers are rational in their SM spend.
i usually pay when i fly that route but have booked family out to visit a half dozen times over the passed 2 years and have not seen low economy or BE awards either so i agree with your search results...

that being said... its one FA's experience with it so who knows how true it is as an assessment of the overall mix
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by mersk862
I tend to think the people in Network know what they're doing with the leisure Japan flying. Guam in February 2013 has 43 weekly flights on Delta, versus 16 on Northwest in February 2005 (most of which were props to Rota).
I believe those props to Rota were actually CO flights (or CO affiliate flights, more likely) codeshared by Delta. The rise in DL/NW service to GUM had a lot to do with CO leaving SkyTeam.

In any event, these are all routes driven by tourist and a certain extent of cargo demand, and DL seems to be good at selling both. GUM also has military demand, but SPN and ROR do not.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:33 pm

A USA-HKG route takes at least 2, possibly 3, aircraft to operate (depending on schedule, and W Coast vs E Coast. I.e. CX ran double daily NYC flight with 5 A346, so 2.5 aircraft)

A ULH aircraft has a value of c.150m USD, so for DL to add a nonstop HKG, it making a 300+M USD investment, in an area that is CX & UA dominated.

Probably not the highest NPV investment to make - i.e. there are probably routes where that 300m USD of aircraft can make better return.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Don't the opups usually mean they sold out Y? That doesn't sound too bad...
But their Y fare is very low margin to compete with the other carriers to HKG form the Great Lakes, Namely AC, CX from YYZ direct and then another dozen with connection.

Y breaks you even, it is BE/F and freight makes you the money. You lose money when a DM/PM or even GM is op-uped to BE with T fare.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
HKG from Seattle?

A route from SEA to HKG did exist under Northwest a few decades ago, and HKG is still mentioned as one of the wish list of routes.....just hadn't make the final cut unfortunately.

Jiburi
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
NW also briefly operated MSP-HKG and VV. It used a 747 of course, but I don't remember whether it was the 747-200 or 747-400.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
But, there never being any low BE awards on it (and almost never economy, either) would lead me to think that not that many awards are redeemed for it... that is, if DL customers are rational in their SM spend.

While I curse DL for never having low BE availability on this flight, they know what they're doing... I'm pretty sure that there's a great deal of irrational redemption on this route.

Case in point:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.