Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX cancels companion ticket benefit for DL Gold AMEX card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by tikiboy
Companion Certificate no longer listed as a benefit for Platinum. Mine just renewed and I have the companion certificate in my profile, but it will be interesting to see if this renews next year.
It still shows as a benefit if you apply for the plat card (as does for the reserve card). For the gold, next to the "companion certificate" it shows "n/a".
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
It still shows as a benefit if you apply for the plat card (as does for the reserve card). For the gold, next to the "companion certificate" it shows "n/a".
We'll see next Oct. :-)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by SkanderH
Why did you get a second skymiles AMEX? Why didn't you just upgrade the gold card to plat?
I was not really aware of all the ins and outs. I did not know I could do this. Would the beautiful girl have lost her commission? I should have gone on to the Credit Card section in FT. Anyway, I had a Gold Card (still have) and then got a platinum card after I was persuaded and got the bonus miles etc all over again. I will cancel my Gold Card in the next few months.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
There never was a benefit to this card. The companion certificate was for a $99 fare; for $55 dollars more a year you can get the platinum card that gives a free companion certificate plus MQMs. You save $44 dollars and earn MQMs with the platinum card, why would you go gold?
On the Gold card, your first year's fee is always waived and is then $95. The Platinum card's annual fee is $150, which is generally not waived.

So, to get your very first Platinum companion certificate, you pay $300 in annual fees ($150 for the 1st year and $150 for the 2nd year). To get your very first Gold companion certificate, you pay $95 in annual fees ($0 for the 1st year and $95 for the 2nd year) plus $99 for the companion, so it's $194.

This is not even to mention the fact that if one year you happen to not use the companion certificate, you are way better off with the Gold card. The signup bonuses are always waaaaaaay better with the Gold card (such as the most recent 70,000 mile offer plus $100 off a Delta flight).

So, plenty of people had excellent reasons to opt for the Gold card, as it typically represented a better value.

Last edited by am1996; Jan 15, 2013 at 9:16 am
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Clarifying the end date

To clarify: Your renewal date needs to be 25 JAN 2013 or sooner to get the companion certificate. It will be good for 1 year from *date of issue*. Date of issue can be as late as 4 weeks after renewal.

Good news for those with a renewal date just before 25 JAN (like me): yes, even if the date of issue falls well past 25 JAN 2013, you are entitled to your companion cert for 2013.

...and holy cow do they push Plat CC these days. (And they don't like am1996's math, even though it is 100% correct.)

Last edited by EkekoBWI; Jan 15, 2013 at 8:58 am Reason: grammar, never a strong suit of mine...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
To clarify: Your renewal date needs to be 25 JAN 2013 or sooner to get the companion certificate. It will be good for 1 year from *date of issue*. Date of issue can be as late as 4 weeks after renewal.

Good news for those with a renewal date just before 25 JAN (like me): yes, even if the date of issue falls well past 25 JAN 2013, you are entitled to your companion cert for 2013.

...and holy cow do they push Plat CC these days. (And they don't like am1996's math, even though it is 100% correct.)
According to a secure message I got from AmEx:
Originally Posted by AMERICAN EXPRESS
Effective January 25, 2013, Gold Delta SkyMiles Cardmembers will no longer receive a companion certificate upon their account renewal.

Accounts with a product effective date between January 25, 2012 and January 24, 2013 will receive one companion certificate only the first time they renew their Card.

Since your Card was opened on May 16, 2012, you will receive one companion certificate upon your account renewal.
If someone is seriously split between gold and plat - it may be worth a call to see if the "effective date" means date you sign up for the card (which I believe it), meaning you'd be eligible for one companion cert if your account is opened before 1/24/2013.

According to the rep:
When you redeem your companion certificate, you will incur a total cost between $120.80 and $161.40 for itineraries with two to four flight segments ($99 for the Certificate, plus additional government taxes and fees ranging from $21.80 - $62.40, depending on the itinerary). Baggage charges and other restrictions apply.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by jb008
If someone is seriously split between gold and plat - it may be worth a call to see if the "effective date" means date you sign up for the card (which I believe it), meaning you'd be eligible for one companion cert if your account is opened before 1/24/2013.
I don't think this is correct. The Gold companion cert benefit already went away. BUT folks with up to 25 JAN '13 renewal dates are grandfathered in (read: this very small group still gets their latest companion cert). You *cannot* however swoop in for the Gold card now (read: before 25 JAN '13) and get a Companion Cert.

Apologies in advance, jb008, should I have interpreted your post incorrectly.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:28 am

EkekoBWI - no need to apologize.

I don't have a 100% answer on this. From my communication with AmEx as an account holder, they told me that I'll still qualify for 1 companion certificate at my first renewal (May, 2013), since my card falls within a "product effective date between January 25, 2012 and January 24, 2013". The quote I pasted that was attributed to American Express was a copy and paste from my account secure messaging on their site. I don't think they can yank my companion cert halfway through my first year, since it was in the terms and conditions of the card I'd signed up for.

Based on the information they sent, I interpreted the t&c as cards opened before Jan 25th will get 1 certificate when they renew. Otherwise, the agent was very wrong with what he told me, and I don't get 1 certificate (since my renewal is May, 2013). I'm covered since I was explicitly told I'll get 1 certificate when I renew in May. FWIW, my plan is to renew and get the certificate. After the cert issues, I'll probably move up to the platinum to try to get the MQM spend bonus when I get a decent upgrade offer of RDM+MQM. Since my first year was free, that covers the $99 companion cert fee, and I find the value of the card most worthwhile for the companion cert since I'm FO w/Delta.

If someone is on the fence, I'd suggest they call in and clarify it before automatically assuming they're SOL regarding a gold certificate at first renewal.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jb008
From my communication with AmEx as an account holder, they told me that I'll still qualify for 1 companion certificate at my first renewal (May, 2013), since my card falls within a "product effective date between January 25, 2012 and January 24, 2013".
Well, if that's true--and, FWIW, I heard the opposite from my (equally confused) AMEX CSR this week--then I'll assume I'm due *2* companion certs: one mid-JAN 2013 and one mid-Jan 2014. I doubt my chances.

I'll try to get something from AMEX in writing this month and then post any success / failure.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Well, if that's true--and, FWIW, I heard the opposite from my (equally confused) AMEX CSR this week--then I'll assume I'm due *2* companion certs: one mid-JAN 2013 and one mid-Jan 2014. I doubt my chances.

I'll try to get something from AMEX in writing this month and then post any success / failure.
You may be out of luck since you're first renewal will fall within their "effective date". I assume that part of renewing is implicit agreement to the new terms and agreements. They've probably dated it for several months AFTER they announced to clear old documents and ads that include mention of a companion certificate with your Gold card.

I agree to get it in writing, mine came via their secure messaging system and the agent explicitly said I'll get a certificate at renewal in May, 2013. I'm going to hold them to that and fully expect to get it. If you get more info from your communications it'd be helpful to see what you hear back.

Thanks - jb
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
It's funny cuz I just cancelled my gold DL amex when the fee came due. Had to make room for another amex and $95 is just not worth it...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
It's funny cuz I just cancelled my gold DL amex when the fee came due. Had to make room for another amex and $95 is just not worth it...
Depends on what you're going for. I find the gold card to be valuable right now, since I don't qualify on MQMs. It's saved me >$125 in checked bag fees, and I got RDMs for ticket purchases (I only get 1.3% back on my Blue Sky Preferred). As long as I get my certificate, the two years of fees (1st year free) plus certificate and travel was at most ~$255 on the Gold DL AmEx, versus $360 for two years plus taxes and fees on the free Plat certificate. Even if I pay to upgrade my gold to plat sometime during year 2, I still come out at $300 for the Gold-Plat plus using the gold travel certificate.

If you're GM or higher, then yes, the DL AmEx isn't worth as much for the fee waivers, and then the certificate is about the only part that really makes it worthwhile. Plat also carries the spend mqm boosters, which may be valuable in helping to keep status. Although, with the new skymiles changes moving forward, the DL AmEx might be essential for some people to hold onto their status.

As I like to say, YMMV
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
This change devalues the card a lot for me. I don't fly delta often (based out of DEN) and $95 is steep for a free bag and Zone 1 boarding with the amount I fly Delta.
I never read that far in my statements, and I should. I always (incorrectly) assume they'll send me an email. Maybe they did, but of course, you don't really try to get folks attention when a bennie is cut, like the companion cert.
I was bitten earlier this year, as I thought the $15k spend for 5k bonus miles was still in effect, only to find out it was gone. So, I do almost zero spend on the card now.
I'll cancel when my renew date approaches, and after I've used my last cert.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:53 pm

Delta amex platinum ripoff

I recieved my $99 companion ticket from amex and went to use it. For 2days i was trying to book a flight. No luck and after multiple cals was told only on l and u fares. I have no clue about fare types.

I thought i was getting a companion ticket with no strings attached. At least that is what i was told when amex talked me up to platinum from my gold card

All i can say is what a rip off
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Amex site listing companion ticket as benefit for Platinum and Reserve. http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...n-ticket-cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.