Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Keeping Elite Status (end of year issues?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I don't fly all that often anymore now that our company instituted a major travel ban. As such, I'm still about 6000 miles away from keeping my elite/priority status (currently Gold, expires Feb of 2013).

My questions is:

Do miles earned toward priority status expire at the end of the year, or can I keep earning toward the next level until I reach it? Or do I need to meet a certain level by my expiration date?

Other than flying more, would applying for something like the Platinum Delta AMEX get me over the hump?

I have been told international flights for our company will pick up again, but not until Q2 next year. This is past my Feb expiration.

Part of me is ready to just give it up. I hear the base priority doesn't even allow you to board early anymore.. which was the perk I liked best (other than upgrades of course)
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not quite clear on one thing. Are you 6000 short of any status (25,000 MQM's for Silver), or 6000 short of Gold status (50,000 MQM's)? MQM earning is based on the calendar year and resets on the first of the year. If you do not hit 25,000 MQM's by the end of the year, you will start Jan 1 with 0 MQM's and have to start from scratch (if you are 6000 short of Gold, you would be eligible for rollover and would start the year with 19,000 MQM's and drop to Silver status on Mar 1). There is no rollover unless you make it to at least 25,000 MQM's by the end of the year.

There's a 5000 MQM Plat Amex sign-up offer (after first purchase) available to anyone who does not currently have a Delta AMEX card. There also seems to be a 15,000 MQM targeted offer floating around (need to spend $1000 though for the extra 10,000 MQM's) which you may be eligible for -- try this link http://www.deltaplatinumoffer.com/

Last year, Delta had a MQM buy-up promotion that started around Nov. 30th. It's possible they will have the same offer again this year. They were offered in 4 increment levels with a max of 10,000 MQM's total -- 2,500 MQMs for $295, 5,000 for $495, 7,500 for $695 or 10,000 for $895.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 4, 2012 at 7:02 am
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Mqm expire on Jan 1. Rollover is only once you pass 25,000 mqm, 50,000, 75,000, or 125,000. Any excess is rollover. Anything lower than 25,000 mqm expires on Jan 1.
The amex delta plat will push you over the top to becoming fo, and with the reserve amex you'd start next year with 4,000 mqm.
Fo is still better than no status, for a bunch of reasons.
True you don't get priority security or boarding, but at least you have a chance at upgrades, and then you get the priority benefits
Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Currently you can earn MQMs by Hilton stays (two nights in one hotel required) or by purchasing a SC membership, although if OP makes Gold and does international itineraries, he/she would have SC access anyway.

I'm not sure what the current offers are--and be careful about the fine print if you already hold a DL credit card--but getting the Reserve card and using it before the end of the year should also give more than 6,000 MQMs. Plus it includes SC access and slightly better upgrade priority.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Currently you can earn MQMs by Hilton stays (two nights in one hotel required) or by purchasing a SC membership, although if OP makes Gold and does international itineraries, he/she would have SC access anyway.

I'm not sure what the current offers are--and be careful about the fine print if you already hold a DL credit card--but getting the Reserve card and using it before the end of the year should also give more than 6,000 MQMs. Plus it includes SC access and slightly better upgrade priority.
You definitely will have my vote. Your knowledge about planes, flights, programs etc. is amazing. I so enjoyed talking with you in SEA last summer.

Back onto topic...I am qualified for DM for 2013 but can get more mqms by spending a few more K on my reserve card so I can carry over into next year. I will pay some of my property taxes with it....
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
I also have a quick question about the Reserve card. I am currently a GM and will be around 41,000MQM at the end of the year. Am strongly considering getting the Reserve card for the 10K MQM that will out me back at GM, the priority upgrade potential, and Sky Club membership. I also read that in a calendar year if you charge $30K on your card you could get another 15K MQM and even another 15K at $60K spend.

So if I am reading this correctly, if I apply soon for the Reserve card that should help get my GM status for 2013. Once January 1 rolls around, I can earn another 15K towards my 2014 status by charging $30K to the card?

I have never owned a Delta AMEX so sorry for the need to clarify something that might be pretty basic. I figure this might be a pretty good strategy for the $450 annual fee given I was thinking of buying a Sky Club membership anyway...

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
So if I am reading this correctly, if I apply soon for the Reserve card that should help get my GM status for 2013. Once January 1 rolls around, I can earn another 15K towards my 2014 status by charging $30K to the card?

I have never owned a Delta AMEX so sorry for the need to clarify something that might be pretty basic. I figure this might be a pretty good strategy for the $450 annual fee given I was thinking of buying a Sky Club membership anyway...

Yes you have that correct. If you get the Delta Reserve AmEx you will get 10,000 MQMs once you spend $1K in 3 months (not sure if you really have "2 months" since there are less than 3 months in the year). But with Christmas coming up, spending $1K before Dec 31st probably isn't an issue. And yes on your second question. You earn 15,000 MQMs towards status in 2014 if you spend $30K on the card.

Also, I think it's a good investment because if you buy a SkyClub membership outright, it will cost you $400+ anyway (give or take, depending on Medallion level). With the Delta Reserve AmEx and $450 annual fee, you get the SC access, a companion ticket (with fewer restrictions than the companion ticket for the Delta Platinum AmEx), slightly better upgrade priority (within elite level and fare bucket), and a few other perks. Overall a good investment IMO. I used the companion ticket for my Platinum AmEx to go to LAX this summer. Ticket for my companion would have otherwise been $420, so I assuming I get the same or similar deal this year, the card will pay for itself using the companion ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
I also have a quick question about the Reserve card. I am currently a GM and will be around 41,000MQM at the end of the year. Am strongly considering getting the Reserve card for the 10K MQM that will out me back at GM, the priority upgrade potential, and Sky Club membership. I also read that in a calendar year if you charge $30K on your card you could get another 15K MQM and even another 15K at $60K spend.

This is basically correct, although note that is SC access and not SC membership. You can check the differences on the drop down menus for SC locations on delta.dumb. Basically, membership allows use of some nonSC lounges that aren't on the list for the Reserve card.

To get the 10,000 MQMs this year, you must meet the spending requirement (typically $1000 but it might be $2500 or so) in charges posted to your account by the end of the year. Returns/credits will be deducted and some things like the annual fee and cash advances don't count for this (or for the $30,000 and $60,000 thresholds). If you spend a lot really fast, you could also get 15,000 or even 30,000 additional MQMs this year from the thresholds (which are based on the calendar year, so your spending is reset to zero on January 1).

When you reach $30,000/$60,000 qualified spend on a Reserve card during a calendar year, you get an email inviting you to have the MQMs sent to your DL FF account or to gift them to someone else. The email arrives on the closing date of your statement or the following day and the MQMs appear in the account instantly, so that they can bump up your status instantly during the year. If you don't decide within about three months, the MQMs will be sent to your account.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Very helpful. Thanks to both of you for clarifying.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:06 am

Note that if you already have the Platinum DL Amex, you can run into some trouble. Usually you can "upgrade" the Plat into the Reserve and get 10k MQM on first purchase, etc. But if you have gotten the Plat in the last 12 months, you can't do this -- because of Dodd-Frank, the annual fee on a credit card cannot increase in the first 12 months.

I'm 7406 miles short of PM, and would have loved to get the Reserve card, but I can't get it until the 12 months are up (next year). ARGH.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 9:13 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 5:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.