Search

International equivalent of UP2B?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 12:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

If I waitlist a SWU domestically I know the proper coding is UP2B. Anyone know if it's the same code for international, or if not what the code is, or if there's a code at all since normally there is not an upgrade list on international flights?

Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:07 am

I believe it's the same for int'l flights. There is an upgrade list; it just doesn't get filled up with medallion upgrades like on domestic flights. How else would the GA know how to process the SWUs in the correct order?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 1:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I am coded as PA1 on that flight. I've never heard of that code. Anyone know anything about it?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Never heard of that one. Is that the coding they have for you while you're on the Z waitlist, or is it already transferred to the airport upgrade list?

I believe they use different designators in that case for the system to clear ahead of time from the waitlist if Z opens up, vs the airport list which last time I saw would be the UP2B for a PM+SWU.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:37 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Question

I have a rather exotic situation. I am waitlisted as a DM on a B fare using a SWU internationally. However, due to a schedule change my DL ticket was reissued from KLM and is now in 074-stick. I cannot access the ticket details anymore. Will waitlist still work? Will this affect my UG priority?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you flying on DL metal or KLM metal, and did this end up being a codeshare or something?

If it is DL, call up and have them re-issue/endorse the ticket back over to 006 DL stock.

The 'automatic' waitlist only really works for DL stock on DL metal. If you're flying on KLM metal then its different inventory for upgrade and the system is not automated well, if any. There are also current issues with KL/AF not giving upgrade availability for Delta SWUs as discussed in length in another thread...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:56 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by rylan
Are you flying on DL metal or KLM metal, and did this end up being a codeshare or something?

If it is DL, call up and have them re-issue/endorse the ticket back over to 006 DL stock.

The 'automatic' waitlist only really works for DL stock on DL metal. If you're flying on KLM metal then its different inventory for upgrade and the system is not automated well, if any. There are also current issues with KL/AF not giving upgrade availability for Delta SWUs as discussed in length in another thread...
Thanks Rylan! All DL metal. I already made KLM reissue on DL-coded flight numbers. DL however is hesitant of reissuing back to 006. They claim that for all EU-based pax, the JV 074 stock is just fine and there is no need for reissuing. Should I be more convincing?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
PA1 is for the Z waitlist not the standby list. You will have to checkin before it puts you on the standby list. It should do it automatically but there are times when it doesn't do it! YMMV
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c_d
Thanks Rylan! All DL metal. I already made KLM reissue on DL-coded flight numbers. DL however is hesitant of reissuing back to 006. They claim that for all EU-based pax, the JV 074 stock is just fine and there is no need for reissuing. Should I be more convincing?
Good that its on DL flight numbers... if it was codeshare numbers then I'd definitely be concerned. Still don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about it being on 074, since I'm not sure how exactly the system recognizes 006 vs 074 for SWU waitlist.

If you have EF I'd strongly suggest setting a Z inventory alert for your flight.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zsmith2
PA1 is for the Z waitlist not the standby list. You will have to checkin before it puts you on the standby list. It should do it automatically but there are times when it doesn't do it! YMMV
I suspected that was the case, but thanks for confirming.

Is there a different waitlist designation based on status, or does everyone get PA1 and sorted by time of request?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
I suspected that was the case, but thanks for confirming.

Is there a different waitlist designation based on status, or does everyone get PA1 and sorted by time of request?
Yes there is different designations based on status and then sorted by time of request.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I had a SWU that was apparently coded correctly initially but not for the gate upgrade list, a DM phone agent told me that I was PA1 (after OLCI) and tried to say that this was right.

In my case, I had used a SWU to upgrade the international segment at time of purchase, but because this was within the T-6 window, there was no G or V space at the time for MSP-ATL. That flight showed as two lines on my itinerary, with the SWU listed first so everything looked correct.

However, after OLCI, as a DM using a SWU, I was #4 at T-3 which didn't seem right. The first DM phone agent said PA1, no problem, and told me that there were DMs above me with B fares or M fares and earlier ticketing times.

I tried to get this fixed at the SkyPriority counter at MSP, but surprisingly no one there had ever heard that SWU upgrades should be above ordinary free elite upgrades for the gate list. I asked for a red coat and waited and waited and waited. Fortunately while waiting, I called the DM line and reached someone quickly who agreed that there was a problem, fixed it, and all of the SkyPriority staff watching out of curiosity were amazed to see me move to #1 on the list, saying that they had learned something that day. Then they saw my upgrade instantly clear and asked me if I wanted to change FC seats. I said yes and they printed my FC boarding pass. What still puzzles me is that my boarding pass said F class not G as I had expected. Later I wondered whether the DM agent just forced the upgrade rather than going through the work of re-doing the SWU right.

It ended well and probably would have been OK if I hadn't insisted on the SWU priority as I had been #4 for 5 FC seats, but I know that sometimes people SDC at the last minute with FC tickets, Y fares (no SDC needed here I guess), or DMs with B, plus IROPs can happen very quickly.

This was a case where there was every indication of the SWU having been done right initially, but it somehow apparently dropped off at OLCI.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.