Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Planned Thanksgiving week honeymoon in NYC, now rethinking that plan

Planned Thanksgiving week honeymoon in NYC, now rethinking that plan

Reply

Old Oct 30, 12, 2:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA
Posts: 1,477
Planned Thanksgiving week honeymoon in NYC, now rethinking that plan

My nephew is being married Nov 17, and the honeymoon is planned for the week of Thanksgiving. Nonref tickets were $363. each. As of this morning the hotel they reserved is underwater, and will cancel the reservation at no cost. The best Delta will do is rebook them for $150. each. To me, the best plan is to lose the $300. and go somewhere else, since many of the places they wanted to go may not be available due to the storm. Is there any way to get Delta to waive the rebooking fee and salvage the honeymoon? Thanks!
Georgia Peach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 12, 3:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AA ExPLT
Posts: 349
What places will they want to see that you believe might be affected? The city will be all set with holiday lights and windows, the tree lighting will take place the week after - buses start running tomorrow and subways (at least in Manhattan) will be at least partly up and running. This is New York City and it will come back quickly - now if they were planning on outer borough travel or trips that might be slower to return. What hotel were they staying at? I would just cancel it and rebook somewhere uptown or midtown.
catwings01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 12, 4:11 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,036
If you are a business losing $1 million/day, think about how many fans and how much new carpet you can lay in three weeks

I would say cancel the hotel either way, and then two or three days before they leave book a hotel (the same one or a different one) because they will all have sales on like crazy cause all the locals just got their apt's back (by then) and everyone with travel plans (like yourself) cancelled.

I have a feeling there will be a 1-2 week window where hotwire type sites will be a goldmine of NYC hotel rates.
WhiskeyBravo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 12, 6:41 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Posts: 449
Like everyone else said previously, I would change to an uptown hotel (the downtown hotels---south of 34th Stree--are the ones mostly affected). No reason to change the honeymoon away from NYC.
NYCflip is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 12, 7:50 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 72,517
There are some fun downtown neighborhoods, but most of the interesting tourist stuff is midtown or uptown. However, before just canceling the hotel reservation, try to negotiate. If the place will credibly be open and operating as normal by the trip, try to negotiate a better rate. Alternatively, try to make the hotel put you into a good place at a good rate, perhaps a property in the same chain that's higher category for the same price you were promised at the original hotel that's now underwater.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 12, 8:08 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DCA
Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Posts: 1,244
Originally Posted by NYCflip View Post
Like everyone else said previously, I would change to an uptown hotel (the downtown hotels---south of 34th Stree--are the ones mostly affected). No reason to change the honeymoon away from NYC.
Agreed.
ejh25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 12, 10:55 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Western NY
Programs: Delta GM, Hertz, HHonors & Wyndham Rewards
Posts: 471
If you check out the NYC flood zone warning maps basically assume anything in Zone A was flooded and assume anything in Zone B that borders on Zone A also was flooded. The water damage was relatively small regions of the island whereas a large portion of the southern part (roughly below 34th St) lost power. Power should be back within about a week or so for basically all of Manhattan.

If access to mass transit is important, any hotel 57th Street and North should be fine and there's some great hotel options on the Upper East Side (UES) or Upper West Side (UWS) that might fit what you/they are looking for. Subway service will be running from 59th and North starting 11/1, with buses running throughout all of Manhattan. Things should steadily improve from there.

If they're looking for things to do, some day trips via Metro North or Amtrak also will get some access to some beautiful scenery and interesting New England-esque areas. At this point you basically have no additional downside if you wait until closer to cancel the tickets, but I'm pretty confident NYC will be well on the way to recovery even within the next 10 days.

~A former NYC'er and proud New Yorker!

P.S. I'm happy to provide some more info if it'll help - feel free to drop me a pm.
jb008 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread