Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from First after boarding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A GA at SFO did this for me recently as a DM oin an A fare, although I'm sure no one made the T-15 deadline for boarding since the incoming aircraft wasn't on the ground yet at T-15. In this case, I left the SC when the dragons announced my flight, but there was a delay at TSA. IIRC I had checked a bag at the counter in SFO, so the GA knew I was at the airport in plenty of time.
Uh oh, the GA violated the rules! All seats should've been released at T-15 and priority given to standbys and a first-come first-serve basis to those who rush the GA podium. The GA should've paged you once at T-15 and when you didn't respond, give up your seat to the next pax who was there!

scarcasm was on for those who need it explicitly stated
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Uh oh, the GA violated the rules! All seats should've been released at T-15 and priority given to standbys and a first-come first-serve basis to those who rush the GA podium. The GA should've paged you once at T-15 and when you didn't respond, give up your seat to the next pax who was there!

Yes, my fault for spending two hours in the lounge instead of at the gate pestering the GA working the previous flight every five minutes and triple-checking that all GAs in the area know that there's a DM in FC ready and waiting to board. I would have been so popular with everyone.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:15 am

You still didn't bother to answer my question.
I did not answer it because I do not concern myself with the practicality of enforcing a DL policy. I don't care how practical it is or it is not. DL's carry-on policy is not practical either, but you still have PAX who abuse it who are aghast when a GA or an FA does enforce the policy, and forces the PAX to gate-check.

The bottom line is that if you show up to the gate at T10 and the flight has departed or your seat was re-assigned, don't come here complaining about how unfair it is or how DL should not have done it.

The ticket you purchase is subject to terms and conditions, as well as to the Contract of Carriage. If you fail to read and heed all of this information, then that is your problem, not DL's.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:25 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think you should be concerned about the practicality of enforcing their rules. Taking a Draconian view and saying its your fault if you fail to read and heed everything is not realistic. By that, you are saying that if by no fault of your own (MX connection delay for example) you get to the gate at T-14 while boarding is in process, you have no seat.

I'd love to see how you would react in that situation.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
The ticket you purchase is subject to terms and conditions, as well as to the Contract of Carriage. If you fail to read and heed all of this information, then that is your problem, not DL's.
This is why people on the internet should not pretend to be lawyers.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:27 pm

Are you a lobbyist for Delta good grief. Thank you sir may I have another.

I did not answer it because I do not concern myself with the practicality of enforcing a DL policy. I don't care how practical it is or it is not. DL's carry-on policy is not practical either, but you still have PAX who abuse it who are aghast when a GA or an FA does enforce the policy, and forces the PAX to gate-check.

The bottom line is that if you show up to the gate at T10 and the flight has departed or your seat was re-assigned, don't come here complaining about how unfair it is or how DL should not have done it.

Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond

Sarcasm aside, the interpretation used by some that the policy is that all unclaimed seats are released at T-15 is incorrect. The policy is stated that IF you are not in the boarding area t T-15 your seat MAY be released. This also applies to not being on board at T-10, I believe. Obviously if people are still boarding, no GA is going to release seats of passenger who are checked in UNlESS they a confident that they will misconnect. The ones in line to board aren't going to misconnect.

Once boarding has been completed inside of T-15, the GA can and would likely release remaining FC seats for upgrades and Y seats for stand by passengers.

In the case of this OP, the GA released seats and had the flt not had an IROP would have gone out on time without the misconnecting passengers. In the OPs case it appears that when IROP happened, the GA reassigned the original FC passenger to his seat and reassigned the OP to his original Y seat since now the misconnecting passengers was no longer at risk for the misconnect.

GAs are pragmatic and focus on getting flts out on time. It's not a perfect science but nonetheless, once a seat is reassigned I find it problematic to unassign it without consideration of the passenger and policy. In this case, as well as in cases others have observed, Delta seems to undue upgrades in tsome or perhaps even many cases. I would suggest that in those cases of premature upgrading, that Delta accept that it was their error and provide an upgrade voucher to the displaced passenger for a future flight. Which passenger is open to debate. regardless, that seems to be a reasonable compromise since obviously you can't put two passengers in one seat.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by reef58
Are you a lobbyist for Delta good grief. Thank you sir may I have another.
I've long suspected the same thing...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by reef58
Are you a lobbyist for Delta good grief.
Of course not.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Oct 31, 2012 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Been thinking about this one before posting.

(a) How many VALID reasons are there really for a downgrade after an upgrade?

(b) As a poster above stated, at T-15, your upgrade should be not "downgradable".. If you aren't at the gate by then, whether you paid for the seat up front or not, the GA's can give your seat away whether they upgrade someone else into the seat or seat a standby. If someone else has taken your seat because you are late, the solution is for you to get to the gate earlier next time.

(c) If I were upgraded then downgraded, I would of course be polite, but I would really make it a point at the appropriate time to inquire as to the exact reason for the downgrade, especially if the downgrade occurred after T-15 had passed.
The appropriate time is right when they ask you to move back, and not to budge until they explain and show you proof.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by sgroer
DM flying on DL1289 - ATL - SNA on 10/28. Booked in coach and got upgraded at the gate... Monitor said "6C'. Boarded, got new seat number printed upon boarding. Sitting on plane for 10 minutes, GA boards and says "we made a mistake" you are in 26F (my original seat).

The flight was late, and we had to move to another (identical) plane due to mechanical issues. However, monitor showed upgrade before the mechanical issues presented themselves.

I suspect the delay allowed time for incoming paid first to make the connection, and when they arrived, they bumped myself and another pax back to coach.

What's the protocol here? I was very nice about it, but suspect it could at least get me something in return from Delta. Not exactly a short flight. Thanks for your input!
I witnessed a similar incident on a flight from JFK to LAX. A few minutes before the door closed the GA moved a coach pax to first. As the door is closing the GA races a woman down the jet bride. The FAs had to open the door for her. Of course, it was her first class seat that the coach pax was upgraded to. The FA told her to take any open seat because they had to push off.

The woman pitched a fit for all to hear. Finally, the FA told her to take a seat or get off. The FA then spoke with the upgraded pax who, after reaching 10,000ft went back to his coach seat.

Well, that wasn't enough for the late pax. She moved up to her seat in first and loudly complained to everyone to hear. Finally, the FA took her by the arm and took her to the forward galley. I couldn't hear what was being said, but I could tell that the FA was giving her a good talking too.

Frankly, if I was the upgraded pax, I would expect some compensation. He was beyond pleasant and polite and the woman who took his seat up front didn't even apologize for the inconvenience or thank him for moving.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by tiger1tony
I witnessed a similar incident on a flight from JFK to LAX. A few minutes before the door closed the GA moved a coach pax to first. As the door is closing the GA races a woman down the jet bride. The FAs had to open the door for her. Of course, it was her first class seat that the coach pax was upgraded to. The FA told her to take any open seat because they had to push off.

The woman pitched a fit for all to hear. Finally, the FA told her to take a seat or get off. The FA then spoke with the upgraded pax who, after reaching 10,000ft went back to his coach seat.

Well, that wasn't enough for the late pax. She moved up to her seat in first and loudly complained to everyone to hear. Finally, the FA took her by the arm and took her to the forward galley. I couldn't hear what was being said, but I could tell that the FA was giving her a good talking too.

Frankly, if I was the upgraded pax, I would expect some compensation. He was beyond pleasant and polite and the woman who took his seat up front didn't even apologize for the inconvenience or thank him for moving.
PAX was not officially upgraded, was he? Did he have a BP showing the new seat assignment?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:17 pm

Did anyone claim it was official? Even if the passenger had a boarding pass I am sure there are some terms and conditions you can point out.

PAX was not officially upgraded, was he? Did he have a BP showing the new seat assignment?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Tiger1tony said the GA moved the coach pax up. That tells me it was "official", and that pax may even have had a new boarding pass in hand.

Under those circumstances, the FA should not be downgrading a pax no matter how big of a fit whiny witch pitches.

BTW, the JFK-LAX/SFO route has a "biz-class" lite service, which is better than run-of-the-mill domestic F.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
This thread is useful for a variety of reasons:

1. It shows that good CS trumps unfortunate occurrences. The DL people involved all treated OP with respect and decently and he's not upset. What tends to upset people the most is not the unfortunate situation, but the aftermath.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.