Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from First after boarding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:21 am

If a passenger has landed at T15 then he deserves a chance to get his seat. Bottom line. I don't care how anyone wants to spin it. The pax should have until the door closes to get there.

Maybe the airlines should quit overbooking flights. At the least they can hold a paid FC seat until the door closes. If the pax didn't make it move someone up to the front. The GA can give the seat number to the FA of the next person on the UG list.

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Unfortunately, this is not the case. So, we have to operate under the assumption that they will abide by their policy, or at least this policy.

They want flights to leave on time. And, while they may not be able to enforce their carry-on luggage policy, they are easily able to enforce the boarding gate cutoff time.

Boarding passes are scanned and systems updated. The T15 (another Ttimes) are most certainly flagged in the GAs computer and may even automagically drop the PAX at the Ttime.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by reef58
If a passenger has landed at T15 then he deserves a chance to get his seat.

What part of DL's policy (ie, not at boarding gate by T15) are you failing to understand?

We should not turn this thread into what DL should do in these instances. They have a policy and they adhere to it in these cases.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:03 am

Overhead Space?

Question for the OP or others downgraded after boarding First Class: Were you asked to relocate your stowed bag to your coach seat, or could you leave them in the bin in first?

I would be very unhappy if I boarded early (and would have boarded in Zone 1 in any event) and stowed my bag overhead, and was then asked to relocate my bag when there was no longer any overhead space.

I realize that they may leave the late arriving F passenger no overhead space, bu the FAs always seems to find space in the closet or take care of F passngers. What would be unfair is leaving the downgraded customer on his or her own at the end of boarding to find space or force the bag to be checked when in fact that customer arrived early.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC

What part of DL's policy (ie, not at boarding gate by T15) are you failing to understand?

We should not turn this thread into what DL should do in these instances. They have a policy and they adhere to it in these cases.
So according to your logic, everyone that hasn't boarded yet at T-15 should lose their assigned seat. Or do you expect the GA to call out a list of 40+ people to make sure they are in the gate area and in line for boarding? Thats not realistic not is it going to happen.

The GA can see the status of the pax and if their flight landed late or if they're checked in etc and should not be giving away seats until they are closing the flight. F pax should in particular by given the opportunity to make the flight and retain their seat if at all possible.

Love it when people just quote rules without applying any common sense.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Boarding passes are scanned and systems updated. The T15 (another Ttimes) are most certainly flagged in the GAs computer and may even automagically drop the PAX at the Ttime.
Where are you getting the things you're saying? That definitely does not happen. Most flights are still boarding at T15, and it would be a total mess if the system just dropped the seats of passengers still in the boarding line.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
DL policy:
Ya... thing is, I have had them hold a seat for me til literally seconds before boarding.... I got the "are you our Diamond?" which was nice as I was their Diamond. There were a few non revs hoping for a seat on that full flight, but the GA (2 of them) waited, manually checked me in before I got to the counter, started the printer up for the paper work, and told me to hurry.

A few weeks later, I got the "you are too late treament", but they had not run the paper work yet... I think rules are good, but we all would rather hire people who have common sense and a good mind for customer custmer service... at least I do...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:50 am

Folks, these are DL's policies. They are what they are and there is no common sense or logic applied. This is especially true when there are GA's that take actions which follow policy and actions that do not follow policy.

OP arrived at the boarding gate at T10. DL policy is to arrive at the boarding gate at T15. OP lost his F seat. GA could have seated him on the next flight, however, found room for him in Y.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Oct 30, 2012 at 10:36 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:55 am

I have had many flights where boarding had yet to begin at T15, so why didn't everyone lose their seat? It is a policy afterall. I have seen many times the boarding process halfway done at T10 why didn't everyone lose their seat? Afterall it is policy right, or is there some wiggle room there?

Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Folks, these are DL's policies. They are what they are and there is no common sense or logic applied. This is especially true when there are GA's that take actions which follow policy and actions that do not follow policy.

At the end of the day, DL will stand by their policy, especially when people call or write to complain. The outcome of this is that there will be no compensation offered.

OP arrived at the boarding gate at T10. DL policy is to arrive at the boarding gate at T15. OP lost his F seat. GA could have seated him on the next flight, however, found room for him in Y.

If OP complains, I am 100% positive that DL will quote the T15 policy.
My point is Delta does not follow its own policy, so why should we expect them to do so?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please explain the practical application of this rule/policy. As mentioned, very frequently pax are still in line waiting to board at T-15. Some flights don't even begin to board until T-15~20.

Do you expect the GA to start paging pax who haven't boarded yet just to see if they're around when there is still a line at the gate and they are just getting to Zone2? Do you expect ~200 pax to re-check in with the GA when they get to the gate so they know who all is waiting and who isn't there?

If the GA knows a F pax has arrived and is running from a late connection and sees them waving their arms from down the hall, should they release the seat because the clock just ticked over to T-15?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Please explain the practical application of this rule/policy.
Practical application? Again, it is DL's written policy.

Rule 135, Section D, Part 1, Airport Check-In Time Limits, applies to OP situation.

Rule 240 is a good read, as is the entire Contract of Carriage, which many people fail to read. Take this nugget, for example. Were you aware that Silver Medallions are excluded in this case?

http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...rriage_dom.pdf

Involuntary Denied Boarding

Passengers Holding Tickets for Travel in Premium Cabin and SkyMiles members identified with a Diamond Medallion (“DM”), Platinum Medallion (“PM”), or Gold Medallion (“GM”) elite-status designation Passengers holding tickets for confirmed space in the First or Business class cabin and SkyMiles members identified with a DM, PM, or GM elite-status designation will be accommodated before other passengers holding tickets and/or boarding passes for confirmed space in the coach cabin.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Oct 30, 2012 at 10:49 am
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:39 am

I think they'd save themselves a lot of hassle if they'd just hand the FA an upgrade list at door close. I just don't recall this issue back when I was an NW flyer.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A GA at SFO did this for me recently as a DM oin an A fare, although I'm sure no one made the T-15 deadline for boarding since the incoming aircraft wasn't on the ground yet at T-15. In this case, I left the SC when the dragons announced my flight, but there was a delay at TSA. IIRC I had checked a bag at the counter in SFO, so the GA knew I was at the airport in plenty of time.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Practical application? Again, it is DL's written policy.
You still didn't bother to answer my question. You can write all of the policy and rules you want and it doesn't matter unless its possibly to apply properly. There are plenty of situations such as I've described where this policy is not enforced and not practice to enforce.

Blindly quoting rules and regulations is how companies end up with horrendous customer service reputations and go out of business.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
You still didn't bother to answer my question. You can write all of the policy and rules you want and it doesn't matter unless its possibly to apply properly. There are plenty of situations such as I've described where this policy is not enforced and not practice to enforce.

Blindly quoting rules and regulations is how companies end up with horrendous customer service reputations and go out of business.
I would add that I would not like to see DL strictly enforcing exactly those rules that they "can" enforce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.