Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from First after boarding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
In this particular case, I would not write a letter unless you have a valid reason to believe that you were downgraded improperly (i.e. out of order, etc.). The FA's did the best they could under the circumstances and were very nice. Save the complaint for a particularly egregious situation.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:09 pm

My opinion is Paid F, Paid UPG, and Award F should always trump any BF upgrades. Even within T-15.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by motytrah
My opinion is Paid F, Paid UPG, and Award F should always trump any BF upgrades. Even within T-15.
I agree...especially if the reason you're late to the gate is because your previous leg arrived late.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Been thinking about this one before posting.

(a) How many VALID reasons are there really for a downgrade after an upgrade?

(b) As a poster above stated, at T-15, your upgrade should be not "downgradable".. If you aren't at the gate by then, whether you paid for the seat up front or not, the GA's can give your seat away whether they upgrade someone else into the seat or seat a standby. If someone else has taken your seat because you are late, the solution is for you to get to the gate earlier next time.

(c) If I were upgraded then downgraded, I would of course be polite, but I would really make it a point at the appropriate time to inquire as to the exact reason for the downgrade, especially if the downgrade occurred after T-15 had passed.
So if a passenger has paid for a first class ticket, and arrives to the gate late because the airline got him there late, weather, aircraft issues, ect, and he gets to the gate of his connecting flight tired and frustrated you are okay with putting him in the back of the plane?

I can imagine the conversation now, sorry mr. traveler we know we left you sitting on the runway for an hour due to no fault of your own, and we know you ran as fast as you could to avoid missing the flight, and we know our computer system shows you should make the flight, and we know you paid for a first class ticket, but get in the back please.

Good luck with all of that
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
A lot of people are using the T-15 rule. Fair enough BUT, in practice, we know it really doesn't work that way. Many times there are still many, many people in the boarding line all at T-10 or T-5. How would you feel if you show up in the line with 25 people yet to board and your seat have been given away....especially a paid seat but even an upgrade. Practically, we know that situation doesn't come up much either since they tend not to clear those deals until after the line is gone but then that brings up the dreaded empty FC seat thingy.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by reef58
So if a passenger has paid for a first class ticket, and arrives to the gate late because the airline got him there late, weather, aircraft issues, ect, and he gets to the gate of his connecting flight tired and frustrated you are okay with putting him in the back of the plane?

I can imagine the conversation now, sorry mr. traveler we know we left you sitting on the runway for an hour due to no fault of your own, and we know you ran as fast as you could to avoid missing the flight, and we know our computer system shows you should make the flight, and we know you paid for a first class ticket, but get in the back please.

+1
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred

My bad on my post above. I agree that if DL causes a pax to arrive inside T-15, the "upgrade" should be "downgraded" and the "late" pax should be given his/her proper seat. I can easily see the other point made that if there is a paying pax that has paid full price to sit up front, that paying pax should also be given his/her seat. Those are the only two reasons I can go along with. Irrops, etc. aren't valid reasons in my own opinion.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:58 pm

Dubai to Newark

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has flown this route.
Thank you
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, BA Prem/LG, AA CK, UA GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PaulaJK
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has flown this route.
Thank you
Does any airline fly this route?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

I will send a polite inquiry letter to delta asking why it happened. Note tht it was not a terrible experience and the ca made up for it. But would like an explanation to the extent they can provide one. I'll post my letter and the response when available.

Thanks all... More to come.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch

I had an A fare with a FC seat and my (first) connecting flight was late, I ran and got to the gate right at 10 minutes before sched depart... I gave them by BP and it beeped and he said sorry, my FC seat was given away, since I "missed" the flight.... but he was able to get me on in a middle back seat. Best part was my old seat was filled by a guy I have flown with a few times who was a Gold and got a last second "upgrade"... I wrote a note and got a pound of flesh, but I was really wanting a drink after making that run...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:43 am

DL policy:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...irements/#when

From U.S. cities, you must be at the boarding gate at least 15 minutes before your scheduled departure time
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:16 am

I realize it happens. My response was it is wrong, and directed at the poster who stated the solution was to get there earlier.

I feel your pain, ouch!

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I had an A fare with a FC seat and my (first) connecting flight was late, I ran and got to the gate right at 10 minutes before sched depart... I gave them by BP and it beeped and he said sorry, my FC seat was given away, since I "missed" the flight.... but he was able to get me on in a middle back seat. Best part was my old seat was filled by a guy I have flown with a few times who was a Gold and got a last second "upgrade"... I wrote a note and got a pound of flesh, but I was really wanting a drink after making that run...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:24 am

Very profound, but if the reason you are not there is because you are stuck on, or just exiting their flight maybe just maybe they could use a little common sense.

This is turning into a Monty Python skit.

Sir you must be at the gate 15 minutes prior to the flight

Sir the captain has not turned off the seatbelt sign.

Sir I said you are running late

Sir sit down we are waiting on the ground crew.

On and on

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
DL policy:
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:37 am

Very profound, but if the reason you are not there is because you are stuck on, or just exiting their flight maybe just maybe they could use a little common sense.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. So, we have to operate under the assumption that they will abide by their policy, or at least this policy.

They want flights to leave on time. And, while they may not be able to enforce their carry-on luggage policy, they are easily able to enforce the boarding gate cutoff time.

Boarding passes are scanned and systems updated. The T15 (another Ttimes) are most certainly flagged in the GAs computer and may even automagically drop the PAX at the Ttime.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Oct 30, 2012 at 7:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.