Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from First after boarding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I would have said: OK how about this, put me in 1st on the next flight and I will pop up the the Skyclub to wait! :-)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by sgroer
FA was super nice - just came by and said they've posted some bonus miles to my account - totally unsolicited. They've offered me free drinks and anything off the menu. They actually have gone out of their way to apologize, even though I never even complained about it. Overall, it's actually been a good customer service experience.
Good to hear and I am sure they were very nice in return for you being nice as well.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
I saw this happen once ATL-BOG...with a twist.

The GA tried to pull the wrong guy - a paid FC pax from pax and stick him in coach. They went back and forth for a while when finally the GA said "Sir, the pax who PAID for this seat is here." To which he replied, "I PAID for this seat too." The GA walked off the plane and came back about 5 minutes later apologizing profusely...just prior to pulling the guy sitting next to him - his intended target.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Strange that the two removed from FC weren't #3 and #4 on the list.
I checked it last about 30 minutes prior to flight time. It's possible I got moved down.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Strange that the two removed from FC weren't #3 and #4 on the list.
Could it be that the downgrade target isn't chosen by their position on the upgrade list, but by the accident of which seat they were given? If the (presumably) paid FC passenger shows up, if the GA pulls the lowest upgraded passenger, it might not free up the right seat, or one that pleases the paid FC person. If they pull the person in the exact seat they need, it minimizes a double-shuffle (with the attendant lively discussions) at the expense of downgrading the "wrong" person.

But without transparency, we'll never know if procedures were followed.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I guess my biggest question is not one of compensation, but more around the protocol... Curious, as I've never seen this happen before. The GA and FA were super nice, we joked about it, and I don't think I'm entitled to much if anything here. But I had no idea you could get upgraded, board a plane and then be told to move and I'm curious as to what scenario the "free downgrade" can be applied :-) . I hung my head in shame and returned to my seat. No worse for the wear. I should have grabbed my Gin and Tonic on the way out though - that was a clear error on my part!
Mr. Kipper has been upgraded and downgraded on the same flight after boarding. He boarded, and the passenger for the last seat in first hadn't arrived. They upgraded him, and as he was walking up to the seat, the passenger arrived, and he was bumped back to coach.

Sounds like the FA's took good care of you in the end.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Other than emotional up/down as long as you get your original or better seat back and FA/GA's remain very nice about it, not much of a problem IMO.

Yesterday was not a normal travel day either and it sounds like OP handled it very well. Certainly a deflating moment though....
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread is useful for a variety of reasons:

1. It shows that good CS trumps unfortunate ocurrences. The DL people involved all treated OP with respect and decently and he's not upset. What tends to upset people the most is not the unfortunate situation, but the aftermath.

2. A lot depends on timing. While it's true that a paid F pax ought to trump a freebie, that really ought to end at T-15. That's what DL uses to deny IDB compensation, even when a flight is delayed. In theory, the paid F pax could have been denied boarding or told that he could accept a Y seat. But, DL has it both ways here.

One consideration would be to have DL make it clear when UG at the gate into seats actually held by paid F that if the paid guy shows, the UG loses his seat. Then the UG has nothing to complain about.

On the subject of "who" gets the DG, it just comes down to the priority on getting the flight out. If 2C is the paid seat, whoever occupies that seat gets bumped back. The less movement in the cabin, the faster the aircraft pushes.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Are you sure it was an identical plane? ATL-SNA indicates you were on all 757s today. Problem with DL's fleet is no two 757s are alike when it comes to cabin configuration. Along with the delay possibly allowing the Paid F passengers to show up, another possibility is you could have been moved to another 757 with fewer F seats, and thus if you were the last one upgraded, my guess would be that you are the first to lose the upgrade in an equipment sub.

Personally I don't think you should get anything for it, but since you're a DM, DL might throw some miles your way of you complain. I'd chalk it up as **** happens. Yea, it's a let down but you didn't get anything you didn't pay for.
Yesterday morning on the 10:00 AM LGA - ATL flight, an ex-Northwest 757-200 was substituted for the scheduled equipment. The configuration of the A/C was markedly different from that of the domestic version of the DL 757-200. Also, there was no IFE.

This equipment swap caused havoc at boarding, due to the need to rearrange seating.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen GAs announce a wait to swap aircraft but then fail to realize that different aircraft types, not just different configurations of the same bird, have different seat maps. There's nothing like starting to board a badly delayed and overbooked flight to have some people realize during boarding that their seats don't exist on the new plane.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:55 am
zlc

There's nothing like starting to board a badly delayed and overbooked flight to have some people realize during boarding that their seats don't exist on the new plane.
/joke on/ New FAA rule, if your seat does not exist on the plane, you are allowed to pick any empty seat and sit in it. If there is no empty seat, you get to sit in the cockpit. /joke off/
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by zlc
/joke on/ New FAA rule, if your seat does not exist on the plane, you are allowed to pick any empty seat and sit in it. If there is no empty seat, you get to sit in the cockpit. /joke off/
I have been upgraded at the gate and then downgraded just after pre-flight-beverage. How would you handle the situation if your 'new' seat was a middle, non-EC seat in the back since they had given your carefully chosen exit or EC seat away once you scored the upgrade? Same question when you get "upgraded" to a bulkhead seat on the 737-800 for a redeye. I'd rather sit in 10c or exit row in that case. How would you handle these situations?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by heatz
I have been upgraded at the gate and then downgraded just after pre-flight-beverage. How would you handle the situation if your 'new' seat was a middle, non-EC seat in the back since they had given your carefully chosen exit or EC seat away once you scored the upgrade? Same question when you get "upgraded" to a bulkhead seat on the 737-800 for a redeye. I'd rather sit in 10c or exit row in that case. How would you handle these situations?
I have asked for and received my original seat back. However, the last time I had a seat issue I ended up in the back and in a middle seat. Had it not been the last flight of the evening I would exited the aircraft and chatted with the GA or a redcoat.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Been thinking about this one before posting.

(a) How many VALID reasons are there really for a downgrade after an upgrade?

(b) As a poster above stated, at T-15, your upgrade should be not "downgradable".. If you aren't at the gate by then, whether you paid for the seat up front or not, the GA's can give your seat away whether they upgrade someone else into the seat or seat a standby. If someone else has taken your seat because you are late, the solution is for you to get to the gate earlier next time.

(c) If I were upgraded then downgraded, I would of course be polite, but I would really make it a point at the appropriate time to inquire as to the exact reason for the downgrade, especially if the downgrade occurred after T-15 had passed.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
The GA and FA were super nice, we joked about it, and I don't think I'm entitled to much if anything here. But I had no idea you could get upgraded, board a plane and then be told to move and I'm curious as to what scenario the "free downgrade" can be applied :-) . I hung my head in shame and returned to my seat. No worse for the wear. I should have grabbed my Gin and Tonic on the way out though - that was a clear error on my part!
Absolutely ! BTW it has not happened to me yet but I have upgrades this week 5 days out. But with all the IROPS and Sandy, I fully expect to lose them. No big deal. I only got a sLUT fare so that is what I paid for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.