Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy, DL, and Mid-Atlantic States

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Sandy, DL, and Mid-Atlantic States

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Call before going to the airport.

Expect a heavy day of cancellations when the storm makes landfall. And then expect a couple of crazy days of rerouting people.

Remember, airlines don't control the weather. If flights are cancelled the airports will be filled with stranded travelers. Unless you have to, avoid going to the airport unless you know your flight is departing.

And to the guy who told everyone to evacuate, calm down. This is going to be a heavy rain and gusty wind event. People don't have to evacuate unless they are in a flood prone area. NE cities can weather strong storms. 75mph winds won't blow a house away.
Odds are low that much equipment will be going to LGA on Monday. He will have a better chance of getting a cab on Sat night....

I will also add that this is not just a gusty wind and rain event. The size and approach point along with high lunar tides will make this a pretty significant flooding event. As it stands, LGA may well have salt water on the runway for part of the event. There will also be a lot of power outages. You do not have to head for the hills, but the situation will not be conducive to business meetings this week in the region or aviation....

Last edited by Thomas Hudson; Oct 27, 2012 at 7:10 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Catusa
Do you think its a mistake that DL didn't include PHL? Flt out Tues AM to SLC and returning Tues night.

edited to add: just spoke to a DL agent they said PHL isn't in the storm path and DL's flts won't be impacted. No need to evacuate the flood prone parts of the city Mayor Nutter, apparantly DL can forcast the weather better.
DL has included DE and NY but not PA. I guess DL thinks the storm will split into two pieces and magically miss Philly.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
after spending an hour on hold, i was able to get on a 757 6 am tomorrow (sunday) from LGA to ATL.

The agents were super nice. I tried to get on the similar flight from JFK, but would have had to pay a ton more money.

I can spend all day on standby in ATL, for all I care if i miss my CAE connection.

There is a non stop at 9 am, but i don't think that ERJ will take off.

Last edited by fajimenez; Oct 27, 2012 at 7:27 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Can I ask a really dumb question? Just because they are waiving the change fee doesn't mean that you can change for free, you still have to pay the fare diff right?

My MSP-BWI flight on Monday was a T fare and the ones on Sunday are all H fares and the prices are through the roof. I can't afford to change.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
DL has included DE and NY but not PA. I guess DL thinks the storm will split into two pieces and magically miss Philly.
Ok, I understand why they list DC even though there aren't any airports in the district. But why list DE which has no commerical service? Not to mention forgetting PHL.

Also a bit odd that they didn't include BDA. Storm will bypass BDA, but DL will have to burn a lot of fuel to go around the storm to get there.

Last edited by Indelaware; Oct 27, 2012 at 7:48 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Canbeing I ask a really dumb question? Just because they are waiving the change fee doesn't mean that you can change for free, you still have to pay the fare diff right?

My MSP-BWI flight on Monday was a T fare and the ones on Sunday are all H fares and the prices are through the roof. I can't afford to change.
They did not ask for more money until I asked to change airports. There was nothing except for b and h fares available.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I ask a really dumb question? Just because they are waiving the change fee doesn't mean that you can change for free, you still have to pay the fare diff right?

You shouldn't have any issues with them waiving the fare diff as well as the change fee. I would try to reschedule ASAP.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat

If you try to change flights online, they will default to the new fare and charge you the difference. You might have better lucky calling and getting the fare difference waived...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
JetBlue and Alaska Airlines have now added BOS to their waiver list, and US, AA, and United already include Boston -- why won't DL?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
If you try to change flights online, they will default to the new fare and charge you the difference. You might have better lucky calling and getting the fare difference waived...
Yep, definitely call. You should be fine as long as your desired origin and destination are the same and there are seats available in your class of service. From the conditions on the notice --

Conditions & Restrictions
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
definitely call. You should be fine as long as your desired origin and destination are the same and there are seats available in your class of service. From the conditions on the notice --

Conditions & Restrictions
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.
They waived change fee and fare difference on a "T" fare. On the phone. I was on hold for an hour. I have no status and only skymiles options card.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Vuelos

Impacted Travel Date(s) Oct 29-31, 2012
Ticket must be Reissued On or Before Nov 4, 2012
Rebooked Travel must begin no later than Nov 4, 2012

Affected Destination(s) (To / From / Through)
• Delaware (DE)
• District of Columbia (DC)
• Maryland (MD)
• New Jersey (NJ)
• New York (NY)
• North Carolina (NC)
• South Carolina (SC)
• Virginia (VA)
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am watching the situation carefull -I have a MCI-MEM-PHL Wednesday morning and then a PHL-CVG-MCI Friday night. Not too worried about Friday night but Wednesday there may be one or two issues.
Another example of the folks on Virginia Ave not understanding geography around and above the Mason Dixon Line... eastern Pennsylvania is not included on this list. PHL is 10 miles form the Delaware border and 1 mile from NJ.

I could hit MD, DE, MD, NY and PA in a 3 hour drive. All of NY is covered by the waiver, but none of PA.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Oct 27, 2012 at 9:34 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I am flying out of NY tomm night. I hope there are no issues.

Rob
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Call before going to the airport.
Good idea! You have call Delta before you heading to airport. You can keep in touch with your relatives.

Originally Posted by robertw477
I am flying out of NY tomm night. I hope there are no issues.

Rob
Actually, I think you will be okay and I am not quite sure if your flight is on-time. If your flight is being canceled or not. Please check your flight status before you come at airport.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Watch your fare class with on-line rebooking – process looked to be going smoothly until I noticed that it had dropped me to an E on one segment. Call to Medallion line got it fixed - and I unexpectedly got through remarkably quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.