Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy, DL, and Mid-Atlantic States

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Sandy, DL, and Mid-Atlantic States

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
A little surprised CT & MA aren't included...it's not supposed to be quite as bad here as in the Mid-Atlantic, but still Monday and Tuesday will be difficult travel days.
I'm surprised too... I'm traveling through ATL to BOS on both Monday and Tuesday and not looking forward to the delays...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold; Amtrak Select Plus
Flying into LGA?

Currently, I'm scheduled to fly into LGA (from DFW) on Tuesday afternoon. Needless to say, this is probably going to be canceled. Any advice on whether it's better for me to fly out on Monday morning or Thursday morning? (I assume that Wednesday is likely to be a no go, but I'd love to hear the board's thoughts on that as well).
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I would advise Thursday. From what I'm hearing, the storm may start its impacts in some areas as early as late Sunday, but it should be gone by sometime on Wednesday.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Vuelos
• Delaware (DE)
Where in DE does DL fly?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold; Amtrak Select Plus
I'm sure that you're studying the path of the storm intently. In case you hadn't noticed, Delta has issued a Storm Advisory here:
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...torm/index.jsp

In summary, if you're flying between Monday and Wednesday, you can reschedule your flight without an additional fee if you're flying to or from the areas listed below. I see that Boston isn't listed right now, and my guess is that you ought to be safe flying into Logan in the afternoon (for now)....

• Delaware (DE)
• District of Columbia (DC)
• Maryland (MD)
• New Jersey (NJ)
• New York (NY)
• North Carolina (NC)
• South Carolina (SC)
• Virginia (VA
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Hurricane Sandy is scheduled to make a direct hit on the mid-Atlantic states Early Tuesday morning. Should we start an "office pool," betting on if or when DL management will issue weather waivers for the airports in that region?
I am watching the situation carefully -I have a MCI-MEM-PHL Wednesday morning and then a PHL-CVG-MCI Friday night. Not too worried about Friday night but Wednesday there may be one or two issues.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Oct 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If I were in operations for a commercial airline, there's no way I'd leave one of my company's planes on the ground at JFK past midnight Sunday. The airport is in a horrible location from a surge potential perspective, and the odds are too good that they'll get runways at least partially underwater from Sandy.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by NYP_BOS
Currently, I'm scheduled to fly into LGA (from DFW) on Tuesday afternoon. Needless to say, this is probably going to be canceled. Any advice on whether it's better for me to fly out on Monday morning or Thursday morning? (I assume that Wednesday is likely to be a no go, but I'd love to hear the board's thoughts on that as well).
Since the waiver is currently in effect for Monday but not for Thursday, it would seem like Thursday would be the better day... but who can know for sure?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:07 pm

I find it curious that BOS is on both the AA and the US weather waiver lists for Oct 29-30, but DL has not included it.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Delta GM, Avis P+
I'm flying MSN-DTW-EWR (Newark NJ) on Tuesday morning, guessing it will be Thursday though.

Thanks for posting the link to Delta's website, I've never had to deal with something like this before. I'll be watching this thread to see how other people deal with it I guess.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
I am also really surprised BOS did not make the cut. Missed the post above!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
What about PA??? Odd they didn't include it...especially PHL
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
What about PA??? Odd they didn't include it...especially PHL
That's odd too, because both AA and US travel waivers include PHL & PIT.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Trust me when I say this... do not fly anywhere near there this week... it is going to be a slow mover and cause serious wind and surge damage...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Trust me when I say this... do not fly anywhere near there this week... it is going to be a slow mover and cause serious wind and surge damage...
I totally agree. It's pretty frightening to see the cities you are about to fly to right in the midst of this storm, whether DL deems them worthy of weather waivers or not...

I guess the only options for those of flying into the storm in cities not (yet) on the weather waiver list are: (1) wait and see if flight is cancelled or significantly delayed to seek a refund; (2) rebook and pay the change fee and fare difference; or (3) rebook a whole separate trip (in my case, cheaper than paying the change fee + fare difference at this point).

At this point, I no longer consider flying to and from Boston on Oct. 29 & 30 to be a safe option...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.