Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket/Impossible Connection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Award Ticket/Impossible Connection

For an international ticket next summer, as usual the last needed flight SEA-SLC, or anywhere-back-to-SLC-on-Delta, was not available for low mileage. I was, however, able to book online an SEA-GEG (Spokane)-SLC for low mileage, with a 21-minute connection, and booked this ticket. Now, however, looking at the Spokane airport map, it looks like you gotta go thru security as the Horizon (first flight) and Delta (second flight) are in different terminals. So, likely will not make it to the last flight of the evening.

In the past, I have hoped for schedule changes and a nice agent to free up the low space SEA-SLC. Any other strategies for proactive (or last-minute) ways to fix this "impossible" but self-booked connection?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No strategy is needed. The ticketing party (Delta in this case) is responsible for ensuring you have a legal scheduled connection. If online ticketing won't do that, agent intervention will. Delta can effortlessly open up award space on its own aircraft SEA-SLC.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:36 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Because they let you book it, I am thinking DL is calling this legal, so I am not sure if they will change it now. You should at least try and ask though.

If nothing else you will misconnect and it will be DL's problem for selling you the connection.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
With the flight being next summer, you're pretty much guaranteed a schedule change. I'd wait a while and see what the schedule is looking like a few months out, then call and have them change it.

Other thing is to keep an eye on the last SEA-SLC leg in case low opens up and then call to switch to it if it does. Finally, since its after your intl flights, you'd also be able to SDC from the SEA-GEG-SLC to direct SEA-SLC when you arrive in Seattle.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:35 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
The MCT in GEG is 40 minutes. I would call Delta and ask them to put you on the SEA-SLC non-stop. Should be pretty straight forward to do.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TTT
The MCT in GEG is 40 minutes. I would call Delta and ask them to put you on the SEA-SLC non-stop. Should be pretty straight forward to do.
There ya go!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by A4K
Because they let you book it, I am thinking DL is calling this legal, so I am not sure if they will change it now. You should at least try and ask though.

If nothing else you will misconnect and it will be DL's problem for selling you the connection.
Then going by your logic (which forgets that we are dealing with Dullta here, who is barely managing to keep its reservation system from crumbling apart - just barely) also a 0 minute connection, 5 min connection, etc. is legal at DTW.
I have numerous times been able to book 0, 5, 10 min connections at DTW.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
What is considered an illegal connection time internationally?

I booked LAX-ICN-BKK all on KE. This was before KE availability so I booked over the phone. Various schedule changes have caused the connection in ICN to fluctuate between 36 minutes and 50 minutes. Is 36 minutes considered illegal? And if so, do I have options? I would happily fly JFK-NRT-BKK on DL, but they won't release 2 award seats.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
What is considered an illegal connection time internationally?

I booked LAX-ICN-BKK all on KE. This was before KE availability so I booked over the phone. Various schedule changes have caused the connection in ICN to fluctuate between 36 minutes and 50 minutes. Is 36 minutes considered illegal? And if so, do I have options? I would happily fly JFK-NRT-BKK on DL, but they won't release 2 award seats.
MCT depends on the airport, the airlines involved, and the specific flights involved (e.g. in which terminals do they arrive in and depart from).

At ICN for KE-KE online:

DD DI ID II
STANDARD: ICN 040 100 100 070
KE-KE ONLINE ICN --- 060 080 045

EXCEPTIONS:
A/L FLT-NBR DEPARR AREA EFF / DISC

KE 5001-5999 ICN --- --- 160 ---
KE GMP

KE 7001-7999 ICN --- --- 160 ---
KE GMP

KE ICN --- --- 150 ---
KE GMP

-ALL- ICN --- --- --- 180
KE GMP

KE 1401-1406 ICN 02APR12 --- SUP --- ---
-ALL- GMP

KE ICN --- --- --- 180
-ALL- GMP

KE 0026 --- --- --- 055
KE 0895

KE 0604 --- --- --- 050
KE 0025

KE --- 080 --- --
KE 5901

KE 02APR12 --- --- 045 ---
KE 1401-1406

KE --- --- --- 090
KE 5001-5002

KE --- 100 --- ---
KE 5001-5900

KE --- --- --- 070
KE 5003-5999

KE --- --- --- 090
KE 5701-5732

KE --- --- --- 090
KE 5751-5754

KE --- --- --- 075
KE 5801-5834

KE --- 100 --- ---
KE 5902-5999

KE --- 100 --- 070
KE 7001-7999

-ALL- 02APR12 --- --- 070 --
KE 1401-1406

-ALL- --- --- --- 070
KE 5901-5902

KE US --- --- --- SUP
KE GUM

KE US --- --- --- SUP
KE SPN

-ALL- US --- --- --- SUP
KE GUM

-ALL- US --- --- --- SUP
KE SPN

KE GUM --- --- --- SUP
KE US

KE SPN --- --- --- SUP
KE US

-ALL- GUM --- --- --- SUP
KE US

-ALL- SPN --- --- --- SUP
KE US

KE 5672 --- --- 100 --
KE

KE 5902 --- --- 100 070
KE

KE 1401-1406 02APR12 --- 045 --- ---
KE

KE 5001-5002 --- --- --- 090
KE

KE 5003-5999 --- --- --- 070
KE

KE 5701-5732 --- --- --- 090
KE

KE 5751-5754 --- --- --- 090
KE

KE 5801-5834 --- --- --- 075
KE

KE 7001-7999 --- --- --- 070
KE

KE US --- --- --- SUP
-ALL- GUM

KE US --- --- --- SU
P
-ALL- SPN

KE GUM --- --- --- SUP
-ALL- US

KE SPN --- --- --- SUP
-ALL- US

KE 5901-5902 --- --- --- 070
-ALL-

The standard for KE-KE online I-I is 45 min. But, it varies based on specific flight numbers and destinations, so see if any of your flights are in the exceptions list above.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
The standard for KE-KE online I-I is 45 min. But, it varies based on specific flight numbers and destinations, so see if any of your flights are in the exceptions list above.
Thanks for that. But I'm not sure I'm reading this right. It's flight KE 18 from LAX to ICN connecting to KE 653 from ICN to BKK.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Thanks for that. But I'm not sure I'm reading this right. It's flight KE 18 from LAX to ICN connecting to KE 653 from ICN to BKK.
Yes, then it is 45 min, it's not in any of the exceptions.

ICN airport is very quick and pleasant for connections. In probably under 10 minutes you will make it "door to door" from arriving to departing flight. There's just the quick and efficient (no shoes off or any such nonsense) security recheck and then you're on your way.

For Int'l to Domestic or Domestic to Int'l it obviously takes longer, and even longer if you are connecting between ICN (Incheon) and GMP (Gimpo) airports in Seoul, then the MCT is 150-180 minutes (as also shown above), as you have to take the ~30 min train between the two. But that rarely applies and most travellers don't connect from ICN to GMP (that usually applies only for Int'l to Domestic or vice versa connections on KE, or if flight out of ICN had no availability and you had to take one from GMP, such as flights to China, Taiwan or Japan for example).

Now, if you have a 36 min connection, you can still likely make it. If you don't, what time is the next connecting flight? If there is another flight an hour or a few later, I wouldn't worry, as KE will accommodate you on that (on day of flight they have control of the DL ticket, you don't need to deal with DL reservations on that then). Only if you are connecting to the last flight of the day would I try to get in sooner... if your connection is now <45 min then you can call DL and tell them it is below MCT and they should reaccommodate you, if on nothing better then on DL flights though NRT (though such are less pleasant and usually longer flight, and generally inconvenient arrival time at the final destination) opening up the availability on those. If you are ticketed to below MCT then it is DL's responsibility to reticket you within MCT. However, again, if there is another KE connecting (or another ST airline connecting) flight you can take later in the day, then I wouldn't worry and just keep it how it is, as even with 36 min you will likely make it.

Edit: KE 659 ICN-BKK leaves 1 hour after KE 653. So don't worry. If you miss KE 653, KE will accommodate you on KE 659. So just keep it how it is. KE is far superior service, seating, comfort, and food than DL (and better IFE selection and system also, IMO), so it's not worth calling DL and spending an hour or a few on the phone as they change to alternate flights w/in the MCT.

Last edited by RealHJ; Oct 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:36 am

Thanks for all the information RealHJ. Very helpful!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen airport staff refuse to check bags when the itinerary violates MCT, so I don't think it's always to let the ticket alone in cases like this.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've seen airport staff refuse to check bags when the itinerary violates MCT, so I don't think it's always to let the ticket alone in cases like this.
That's a good point. (I never check any bags and always do OLCI, so I've never encountered that.)

If so then when the ticket is under Airport Control (at T-24) KE can be asked to put the passenger and bags on the next, 1 hour later, connecting flight out of ICN. KE then has control of the ticket and can fairly easily do so. So still no worries. If so, then at check-in airport staff can put the passenger on 1h later connecting flight.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, I called Delta - they recognize connection (sold by their own website) as illegal but "supervisor" refuse to change the flight without repricing (another 32,500 miles). Should I just wait a while, or do I have any other remedies I may be able to invoke? Might an email work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.