Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is a 'long sell' when redeeming DL miles on AZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Can someone help me understand what the term ' long sell' means when trying to redeem DL miles for Alitalia? I was told that there is usually some difficulty when trying to do this. I wanted to know what this term means if I need to explain it to a phone rep. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
If the phone rep doesn't know what a long sell is, just hang up and try again. You won't be able to explain to them what they need to do.

What's going on is that for some partners, DL agents can't see if they have award inventory or not. Thus, they have to put in a request for the space and wait for someone at AZ to confirm the space for them.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Long sell is pretty much what it says....you sell a space the long way! Doing a long sell you can do a variety of things such as putting one on a waitlist (HL) or simply just selling a seat (NN). See this article: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...know-they-are/ Long sells are generally a practice for older or agents out of habit or just the need to do something you can't do the short way.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zsmith2
Long sell is pretty much what it says....you sell a space the long way! Doing a long sell you can do a variety of things such as putting one on a waitlist (HL) or simply just selling a seat (NN). See this article: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...know-they-are/ Long sells are generally a practice for older or agents out of habit or just the need to do something you can't do the short way.
Waitlist can also be LL (CX)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Long sell is lingo referring to how an agent "sells" a segment. I worked in Sabre so I'll give you that example.

If I wanted to "sell" a seat on a flight, I could do it the "short way" by typing:

1JFKLAX

This pulled up that day's availability for that city pair. To sell, I'd have to type:

01Y1

(0=sell, 1=#of seats, Y=class I wanted to sell, 1=line number from the availability display)

Alternatively, I could just long sell it by typing:

0XX123Y19OCTJFKLAXNN1

Here's the break down: (0=sell, XX=airline code, 123=flight number, Y=class of service, 19OCT=date, JFKLAX=city pairs, NN1=needs one seat)

Each did the same thing

Hope that helps
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
More info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
In addition, a long sell ignores availability and requests space from the carrier directly. Depending on the access agreement the airline then has anywhere from 12-48 hours to confirm or deny the sell. This is why long sell is frowned upon with award classes, it's either available or not and agents are not 'supposed' to circumvent that logic.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by denCSA
In addition, a long sell ignores availability and requests space from the carrier directly. Depending on the access agreement the airline then has anywhere from 12-48 hours to confirm or deny the sell. This is why long sell is frowned upon with award classes, it's either available or not and agents are not 'supposed' to circumvent that logic.
Except there are instances where DL's agents have systems that simply cannot display the availability for partners. We can see the inventory in ExpertFlyer or other tools, so the agents do a long sell. There are a number of instances where their documentation on how to book awards explicitly tells them they need to do a long sell.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Alternatively you can just ask them to check directly with AZ. They would still be doing a long sell but you don't have to use that lingo. If you know there are seats available and the DL agent tells you it isn't there, then ask them to check with AZ directly whil you hold. Tell them that you see the seats available throu Air France's site and they should be there. You'll be on hold 4-5 mins and they will come back with the availability.

I have done it both ways of asking and either way worked just fine. The thing you don't want to do is just have them arbitrarily search on random dates doing long sells. Make sure the availability is there before you ask them to check.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have tried this with AF where DL wasnt showing AF seats but the AF site was showing availability. Asked agent to long sell and they basically came back and said it still didn't work. Did I just get a bad agent?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Sometimes using what you think is industry terminology just makes it harder. My guess is that agents hired in the last 10-12 years have no idea what "long sell" means. What they do know is that they occasionally get calls from customers asking them to check availability with another carrier.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYTA
I have tried this with AF where DL wasnt showing AF seats but the AF site was showing availability. Asked agent to long sell and they basically came back and said it still didn't work. Did I just get a bad agent?
AFAIK long sells don't work with AF. See thread linked above.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
No, the AF/KL inventory visible on the AF site is not matching what is available to partners at the moment. If it shows as O inventory in ExpertFlyer, however, it should be available to DL.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Except there are instances where DL's agents have systems that simply cannot display the availability for partners. We can see the inventory in ExpertFlyer or other tools, so the agents do a long sell. There are a number of instances where their documentation on how to book awards explicitly tells them they need to do a long sell.
...and cases where it doesn't, but it's the only way. And sometimes the regular systems break down, but the agents nor the cusotmers are notified, and then long-sell is the only way around it. E.g. a while ago no HA awards could be booked on delta.com: availability would show (correctly), but it couldn't be booked. Same for the agents. The workaround was to do long-sell, even though they are not "supposed" to do that with HA, that was the only way to make it work then due to that covered-up (as in no one even internally was notified of it) systems issue for quite a few weeks (if not months).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.