Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Might Miss CXN from IROP; Go? Hotel Voucher?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat

I'm at JFK right now, and because of a late inbound, it looks like I will have a :20 connection at MSP, IF everything works out as delta.com (and flightaware.com) suggest.

Surprisingly, as a Plat for like 5 years, I've never had to overnight anywhere. I seem to have a couple of options:

a) Stay on my existing flights (good seats, but questionable connection): If all goes well, I'll get there on-time but be a little winded running through MSP.
- Will DL pay for a hotel for me in MSP? I don't know the initial cause of the delay, but it's DL2037, equip delayed coming from DTW, if anyone cares)

b) Change to some other flights where I'd need to overnight somewhere else (I guess I'd need to pay for a hotel out-of-pocket)? There doesn't seem to be any way I can get where I need to go tonight on DL or OAL other than this tight connection.

c) Go home and try again tomorrow (this would kill my day tomorrow more than anything).

Thoughts?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by stevekstevek
I'm at JFK right now, and because of a late inbound, it looks like I will have a :20 connection at MSP, IF everything works out as delta.com (and flightaware.com) suggest. .....Thoughts?
I would call into the Plat line and first ask exactly why the plane is late....THEN ask point blank what will happen if you miss the MSP connection.

If it is Delta's fault they should pay for your hotel in MSP if you don't make the connection and they should throw in a food voucher too...

If it were me I would do this as you can at least be on the very first flight out the next day and minimize the disruption/delay in getting to your final destination...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Burj
I would call into the Plat line and first ask exactly why the plane is late....THEN ask point blank what will happen if you miss the MSP connection.

If it is Delta's fault they should pay for your hotel in MSP if you don't make the connection and they should throw in a food voucher too...

If it were me I would do this as you can at least be on the very first flight out the next day and minimize the disruption/delay in getting to your final destination...
Thanks. I did exactly that.

They confirmed it was MX on an earlier flight, and that I should be able to get a voucher at MSP if I cannot make the connection.

Also, I got confirmation that i've been protected on the morning flight (and, even seem to have a confirmed upgrade there(?)).

So, I'm gonna go through MSP and see what happens. Hope the hotel options on the vouchers aren't too bad.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
If weather related you may be out of luck with Delta otherwise Delta should find accomodation for you.

Good idea to call the Platinum line.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 4:00 pm

Thanks. I did exactly that.
So, I'm gonna go through MSP and see what happens. Hope the hotel options on the vouchers aren't too bad.
Ah good to hear...and who knows you might make the flight if the delay isn't as bad is they think and if they make up time in the air and if the two gates are close together at MSP (yeah...lots of "if's" involved)....

But it is worth going for it....especially since I bet there are LOTS of people making connections at MSP so hopefully ramp/jetbridge/gate agents will be making an effort to get the plan in quickly.... (hmm...even as I was typing that I did an involuntary eye-roll)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

So, now it looks like :15 mins to go from f to d at msp; Anyone have suggestions on hiw to get a good nights sleep at msp with a voucher?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
IME (limited) the hotel in MSP will be selected for you.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So, now it looks like :15 mins to go from f to d at msp; Anyone have suggestions on hiw to get a good nights sleep at msp with a voucher?
For the gate run, look for an electric golf cart and have a couple dollar bills in your hand as a bribe/tip for the driver to go fast and take you direct, without stopping for other passengers on the way.

Count airplanes instead of sheep and think of your nice FC seat for morning.

Seriously, most of the MSP hotels aren't so bad. Just be sure to ask whether it's one of the few with continuously looping shuttles or whether you must call for the shuttle. If the latter, call first and then walk to the hotel shuttle staging area, down and under the roadway from baggage claim.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Am I also correct that there is a procedure that allows you to select your own hotel and just submit the bill to Delta for reimbursement?

Might come in handy fir the OP if the hotel voucher hotel is "less than optimal"

(Plus I would like to know in case it happens to me in the future)

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the gate run, look for an electric golf cart and have a couple dollar bills in your hand as a bribe/tip for the driver to go fast and take you direct, without stopping for other passengers on the way.

Count airplanes instead of sheep and think of your nice FC seat for morning.

Seriously, most of the MSP hotels aren't so bad. Just be sure to ask whether it's one of the few with continuously looping shuttles or whether you must call for the shuttle. If the latter, call first and then walk to the hotel shuttle staging area, down and under the roadway from baggage claim.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Teamstone
Am I also correct that there is a procedure that allows you to select your own hotel and just submit the bill to Delta for reimbursement?

Might come in handy fir the OP if the hotel voucher hotel is "less than optimal"

(Plus I would like to know in case it happens to me in the future)
Some have reported doing this and being reimbursed, but IMO only true HVC should try this and hope for reimbursement. I wouldn't suggest going this route as a GM unless you're prepared to pay or to get only the amount from DL that they actually pay to hotels for room voucher rates. YMMV.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Roulette wheel gave me embassy suites. Would prefer spg property, but embassy is usually serviceable.

Went to sky club to get voucher; they were able to get it, but were confused by some new system...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Roulette wheel gave me embassy suites. Would prefer spg property, but embassy is usually serviceable.

Went to sky club to get voucher; they were able to get it, but were confused by some new system...
That's where I ended up last time I misconnected at MSP. Not a bad property... been put up in far worse by DL in NYC.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
That's where I ended up last time I misconnected at MSP. Not a bad property... been put up in far worse by DL in NYC.
NYC is a tough town for lodging: There's nothing "serviceable" in NYC for under $300 on most days. Don't know, but wouldn't expect anything near the airports to be nice either.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:39 am

NYC is a tough town for lodging: There's nothing "serviceable" in NYC for under $300 on most days. Don't know, but wouldn't expect anything near the airports to be nice either.
Let us know what you think after you stay....did DL come through on some $$ for food?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Burj
Let us know what you think after you stay....did DL come through on some $$ for food?
Hotel is fine -- typical big atrium setup, and "cooked to order breakfast" included.

DL gave $25 voucher for food at the airport, so I have my choice of where I can eat I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.