Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Monetary Value of Gold Medallion Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, United, Delta, Hyatt, YMCA

Hi,
I am considering selling my "gift" Gold Medallion. How to figure out how much it is worth? Thank you
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by RobbyBobby
Hi,
I am considering selling my "gift" Gold Medallion. How to figure out how much it is worth? Thank you
Don't get caught. You can estimate at $500.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:08 pm

There are a lot of benefits to being a gold member. I would hope you make the right decision to not sell or barter any of your choice benefits as it not the right choice to make. Medallion status may be earned but it is a privilege and can also be taken away.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, United, Delta, Hyatt, YMCA
Red Face

Opps, are you Guys saying that I cannot sell/batter Gold Medallion?! Gee, I did not know it. I think I should read the rules carefully before I do something stupid.

Thank you for enlightening me. In no way would I do something to violate the rules of THE Airline I not only fly a lot but also partially own (stock). Cheers
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:52 pm

Definitely don't do it...not worth it.
Plus, I would think that someone who flies Delta enough to actually use and appreciate gold status would be able to earn it for themselves.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
$1000 seems like a good number.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Negative value if you lose your own DM status and all redeemable miles in your account, plus any upgrades and award tickets that have already been issued.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
CC trades for GM are usually between 25k and 50k MR points
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP doesn't have access to CC, so presumably he/she was considering eBay or Craigslist.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP doesn't have access to CC, so presumably he/she was considering eBay or Craigslist.
Which I'm sure the "Delta police" never look at

Don't do it!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I wouldn't sell the benefit. Now if you were to give it to a family member or close friend, and they gave you a return gift as a "thank you ..."

For me, biggest GM benefit is free access to domestic EC. Routinely save $50+ on transcon flights (I don't even know what the price is because I haven't ever had to pay for domestic EC, but $50 seems like a good minimum per leg). Possibly worth more if you travel with a companion ... did so earlier this year, and got EC on a 764 and back on the A330. This is easily worth several hundred dollars towards GM value.

Next is the 100% Skymiles bonus. While Skymiles aren't the greatest, earning 5K on a one-way transcon instead of 2.5K or 3.1K as FO is a big step up. For a transcon, this is 1900 miles more than Silver, so maybe another $20 per way.

After that is Sky Priority, at least getting Zone 1 and quicker check-in/security lines. I don't have GE yet, but I have gotten PreCheck with GM. Hard to put a monetary value on this but it's worth something.

Next is upgrades, not much, but easy to get if you time your flights well. Last trip I was 3/4 on upgrades, not bad, but two were short flights with not much value in getting to sit in F.

Lastly, SkyTeam Elite+, though I've only used that on 2 trips. Lounge access is nice abroad but can be attained through other means.

These are my values, but those are the biggest benefits to having GM over FO or no status.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:10 pm

I've not seen these listed on Ebay. Is it a developed market?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Ted King
I've not seen these listed on Ebay. Is it a developed market?
It comes up once in awhile.

Some past discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...bay-legal.html
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by RobbyBobby
Opps, are you Guys saying that I cannot sell/batter Gold Medallion?! Gee, I did not know it. I think I should read the rules carefully before I do something stupid.

Thank you for enlightening me. In no way would I do something to violate the rules of THE Airline I not only fly a lot but also partially own (stock). Cheers
Without question don't do it!!!

Some devious FT'ers have talked DM's into to this deal and you both risk loosing all your status, miles and flights booked on miles and being kicked out of Skymiles for life.

In other words - what price would you put on that?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hhonors Diamond, Intercontinental Plat, Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star, National Exec
IBTL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.