Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone Flown Business Elite ATL-GUATEMALA CITY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion

I will be flying in Business Elite along with a group of 28 medical professionals, social workers, and other volunteers in February from ATL to Guatemala City on Delta. Most of the people in the group will be in Coach, but I am using miles to upgrade to Business Elite and have already received a confirmed ticket.

It has been about 11 years since I flew into Guatemala City and the last time I did so was on a national air line (Guatemalan) out of Miami whose name I don't remember.

At that time, it was just after peace came to the country and the airport was nothing much to speak of. In fact I was out in the parking lot before I knew I had even cleared customs. (Customs? What customs I asked the taxi driver?).

Has anyone flown on Delta into Guatemala City? Obviously Delta has some type of market there from several different cities. Do they have a lounge they code share with?

What is the entry customs situation like these days? I will be using my three suitcase allowance to carry one with personal luggage and the other two to carry medical supplies for the clinic that we will be visiting and for teaching supplies for the nuns that staff the small school in the remote mountain village that we will be working at. Everyone else in the trip will be bringing an extra backpack as a carry on with medical supplies as well (all of these people except myself are doctors, nurses, dentists, etc). I will be bringing religious supplies since I am a priest (rosaries, catechisms, etc. in Spanish) for the nuns and the children in my second carry-on and my walking stick since I still have a partially broken foot which is why traveling in business will be more comfortable. I'm not expecting there to be any assistance at the airport so my walking stick is collapsible (e.g. an Eddie Bauer type thing) which will be useful in the village with its mud roads, etc.

We'll be riding up to the village in a 'chicken' bus (a Guatemalan bus where everything goes up on the top including the chickens) and then taking a boat across Lake Atilan to the village.

Any info on the Guatemala City airport would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by padreandrew
I will be flying in Business Elite along with a group of 28 medical professionals, social workers, and other volunteers in February from ATL to Guatemala City on Delta. Most of the people in the group will be in Coach, but I am using miles to upgrade to Business Elite and have already received a confirmed ticket.

It has been about 11 years since I flew into Guatemala City and the last time I did so was on a national air line (Guatemalan) out of Miami whose name I don't remember.

At that time, it was just after peace came to the country and the airport was nothing much to speak of. In fact I was out in the parking lot before I knew I had even cleared customs. (Customs? What customs I asked the taxi driver?).

Has anyone flown on Delta into Guatemala City? Obviously Delta has some type of market there from several different cities. Do they have a lounge they code share with?

What is the entry customs situation like these days? I will be using my three suitcase allowance to carry one with personal luggage and the other two to carry medical supplies for the clinic that we will be visiting and for teaching supplies for the nuns that staff the small school in the remote mountain village that we will be working at. Everyone else in the trip will be bringing an extra backpack as a carry on with medical supplies as well (all of these people except myself are doctors, nurses, dentists, etc). I will be bringing religious supplies since I am a priest (rosaries, catechisms, etc. in Spanish) for the nuns and the children in my second carry-on and my walking stick since I still have a partially broken foot which is why traveling in business will be more comfortable. I'm not expecting there to be any assistance at the airport so my walking stick is collapsible (e.g. an Eddie Bauer type thing) which will be useful in the village with its mud roads, etc.

We'll be riding up to the village in a 'chicken' bus (a Guatemalan bus where everything goes up on the top including the chickens) and then taking a boat across Lake Atilan to the village.

Any info on the Guatemala City airport would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Yes, I did this in July. I am sorry to report its not real BE -- it basically domestic FC service. (Sorry!) But then again, that's how I managed the upgrade...

Customs was quick and easy -- better than typical US customs in my experience. The whole process took less than five minutes.

I didn't see a lounge, but I could have just missed it.

Loved visiting Lake Atilan - are you going through Panajachel?

And the airport has a Campero chicken if that's your thing!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EP
I've been upgraded to BE eight times in the last month going in and out of Guatemala City -- it must be a very low elite traveled route. Previous poster is correct -- it's just domestic F, not BE. That said, both ways you get a quiet cabin, comfortable seats, a nice lunch, and usually good service and quick drink refills.

The Guatemala City airport is much improved from just a few years ago. Bags arrive quickly, immigration line moves quickly and efficiently, and customs usually consists of being waved through. Even the exit area which used to be mob scene is much better now.

When you leave, the Delta priority line usually has no one waiting and you breeze right through check-in. There is no executive lounge of any type that I know of, but several of the restaurants (once through security) have free internet if you buy something, even a cup of coffee and a pastry.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't this route marketed as (international) business class, not BE?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If your walking stick is a collapsible hiking/trekking pole you might want to bring a letter from a physician or plan to check it with your bags. Hiking and skiing poles are on the list of items that TSA does not normally allow you to carry on the plane. I checked into this before a walking trip in England last spring. I expect a more traditional cane would be allowed for carry on, but not as useful for rough terrain in Guatemala.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:54 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by padreandrew
...I am using miles to upgrade to Business Elite and have already received a confirmed ticket...
As a PM, you shouldn't bother using miles to upgrade this flight. Central American routes like this are among the easiest upgrades in the system. I reckon FOs routinely get upgraded.

Save your miles.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If ATL-GUA is anything like LAX-GUA, it is really just domestic first class marketed as business class. I was upgraded as an FO. In fact, for a 26F cabin, only 7 medallions needed to be upgraded on a 757-200 nonBE. The rest were op-ups.

Customs is easier in GUA than it is coming back to the US

Don't remember there being a lounge at GUA for use, though there were some cafés upstairs with decent wifi. Sky Priority for check-in was a godsend. The airport is relatively modern and spacious. Of course there is a Pollo Campero there (I'm more surprised I found a Pollo Campero at a shopping mall halfway around the world in PNQ).

Panajachel is a beautiful town along Lago de Atitlán, I spent three days there before heading up to Huehue Department (also on a medically-related trip). I visited a few of the towns along the lake, Santiago Atitlán and San Pedro La Laguna, be aware that both those towns were very very hilly.

Last edited by amolkold; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:58 am
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by amolkold
Of course there is a Pollo Campero there (I'm more surprised I found a Pollo Campero at a shopping mall halfway around the world in PNQ).
Ha, yes. Fair enough. I was in a DC exurb a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to see one there as well...there's one here in town now too.

BTW, do you think Pollo Campero is the inspiration for Breaking Bad's Los Pollos Hermanos?

That's been a pet theory of mine for a while...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does this route get a hot meal or cold sandwich or salad option like Caribbean flights?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
No lounge in GUA for your Delta status.

Last edited by DLFan2; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM
I believe there a couple of lounges at the airport: Los Aņejos Lounge and Copa Club. I don't believe either of these have agreement with Delta (Sky Club), however.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does this route get a hot meal or cold sandwich or salad option like Caribbean flights?
Hot meal. Actually pretty much all the Central American flights get some pretty decent service and entrees.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
18 months ago, LAX-GUA had egg + french toast (midnight red-eye, guessing that was breakfast) while GUA-LAX 8:30am departure had eggs + potatoes and a bagel. I'd post the photos but they're not that clear.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am on a 9.45am ATL departure and it is scheduled for breakfast. Hope there are two hot options!
Old May 26, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Does LAX-GUA still use domestic F instead of BE in J? Lounge access in LAX if no status with DL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.