Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AirFrance.us shows award seats, Delta does not see them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AirFrance.us shows award seats, Delta does not see them

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM
This has been a huge devaluation of the program for me and another reason I am considering switching to UA. I feel like AF is no longer an option as I can't find one low level biz seat from any gateway to CDG for any months I've tried, by website or with an agent. Do I need to join FB to see the seats available? I really don't want to pay to join EF as I don't travel enough to make it worthwhile.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jac747
Do I need to join FB to see the seats available? I really don't want to pay to join EF as I don't travel enough to make it worthwhile.
If you want to use Flying Blue's award search, you need an account, and to log in, but don't need miles.

Given that ExpertFlyer allows one to set alerts for specific flight/cabin/award inventory/seat count, it's really handy for AF/KL/AZ award searches with DL miles.

AF Business inventory USA-CDG is tougher to find than it used to be but it's not impossible. Your lack of success suggests use of the wrong search tools (and yes, delta.com for flexible date searches on partner carriers is fundamentally flawed).

Last edited by 3Cforme; Sep 12, 2012 at 10:21 am
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:10 pm

Something is definitely up with AF. On sabre as of Monday the X and O classes disappeared for flights to USA/Canada. They're still there intra-Europe and to Asia.
KLM is fine.
When something similar happened 6 months ago, it was just O class that was gone, and it was everywhere on AF/KLM.

Last edited by UserMark; Sep 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm
Old Sep 12, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM
I did register for a FB acct. and checked availability on their site then called DL to see if I could redeem for a flt that showed a biz seat available. DL showed no seats whatsoever that entire week. It's been a problem for at least two months now. No problem booking my intra-Europe/mideast on AF.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jac747
This has been a huge devaluation of the program for me and another reason I am considering switching to UA. I feel like AF is no longer an option as I can't find one low level biz seat from any gateway to CDG for any months I've tried, by website or with an agent. Do I need to join FB to see the seats available? I really don't want to pay to join EF as I don't travel enough to make it worthwhile.
I just booked my honeymoon using Delta miles for May 2013, includes a flight on the A380 from LAX-CDG, rest of the trip is a mix of AF and AZ. All in Biz (found O and Z space) for the low 100K roundtrip. I ended up signing up for the basic EF membership (250 queries) for $5 to help me find the award options I wanted. I ended up using about 100 of them, and was able to find what I was looking for. I have since canceled the auto-renew because I don't really see the value in paying for it when I've depleted my miles stash, but it sounds like the $5 might be worth it to reduce the stress of searching with the AF website.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
The flight in question

The flight in question is AF69 LAX-CDG on October 10th. KVS & FB shows 9 biz seats available @ the "classic" 50K tier.

Return flight is AF66 CDG-LAX on October 16th, KVS & FB shows 9 biz seats...

When I go through the booking on airfrance.us it lets me go all the way through 100K round trip.

I tried the "long sell" request, PM agent said "still not available". She was half brain dead, or came off that way anyway...so who knows if she actually did it.

The sad thing is that I'm going to end up crediting my travel to FB going forward if I can't book these tickets with SkyMiles. Being forced onto delta metal @ "high" award levels is deal breaker. I'd rather pay gigantic fuel surcharges over 3x the miles. Most of my travel is TPAC & TATL in premium cabins so I could care less about delta status to be blunt...especially if I can pick up status with AF.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
The flight in question is AF69 LAX-CDG on October 10th. KVS & FB shows 9 biz seats available @ the "classic" 50K tier.

When I go through the booking on airfrance.us it lets me go all the way through 100K round trip.

I tried the "long sell" request, PM agent said "still not available". She was half brain dead, or came off that way anyway...so who knows if she actually did it.

The sad thing is that I'm going to end up crediting my travel to FB going forward if I can't book these tickets with SkyMiles. Being forced onto delta metal @ "high" award levels is deal breaker. I'd rather pay gigantic fuel surcharges over 3x the miles. Most of my travel is TPAC & TATL in premium cabins so I could care less about delta status to be blunt...especially if I can pick up status with AF.
On ExpertFlyer, I see zero seats on O, which is classic business class award. There are 9 seats in C, which is flex awards for elites. Delta can only book O inventory, and not C.

On AirFrance.us, I searched the same dates and it is showing that there are seats available at the classic level (50k one way or 100k round trip). It's possible that there's an error with the Flying Blue search engine, and those seats aren't actually available. They might error out when you actually try to finalize booking.

There's 2 seats on LAX-FCO with AZ on the 7th if you can leave earlier, and then get from Rome to your final destination. Better product too, with their newly remodeled 777s. Getting home is going to be the tougher part.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:31 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA

Those Award Seats should be available -- just keep calling back until you get an Agent who knows how (and is willing) to do a Long-Sell: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.5/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/SkyTeam/US-AF]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
CDG  Paris Charles De Gaulle FR [LFPG]
WED  10 Oct 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
AF         65      LAX   15:50     CDG   11:35 +1           CX-  WA+  YS+
AF         69      LAX   18:45     CDG   14:15 +1           CS+  WS+  YS+
AF         77      LAX   21:35     CDG   17:00 +1           CX-  WX-  YS+
KL         602     LAX   13:45     AMS   08:55 +1           CX-  WX/  YA+
 -> AF     1341    AMS   10:45 +1  CDG   12:00 +1
 -> KL     1233    AMS   12:30 +1  CDG   13:45 +1
 -> KL     1243    AMS   16:25 +1  CDG   17:40 +1
 -> KL     1245    AMS   17:45 +1  CDG   19:00 +1
[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.5/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/SkyTeam/US-AF]
Code:
CDG  Paris Charles De Gaulle FR [LFPG]
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
TUE  16 Oct 2012 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
AF         66      CDG   10:30     LAX   13:10              CS+  WA+  YS+
AF         76      CDG   19:10     LAX   21:35              CX-  WX-  YA+
AF         1240    CDG   07:25     AMS   08:40              CX-  WX-  YA+
 -> KL     601     AMS   09:50     LAX   11:45
AF         84      CDG   10:35     SFO   12:45              CX-  WX-  YS+
 -> DL     4780    SFO   14:55     LAX   16:18
 -> DL     4678    SFO   15:55     LAX   17:19
 -> DL     4795    SFO   17:59     LAX   19:20
 -> DL     693     SFO   18:47     LAX   20:13
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:01 pm
Ole

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Been having a similar issue today trying to get an the nonstop AF flight ORD-CDG on 10/15. ExpertFlyer shows no O class availability, but AF.us site shows a classic business award available. Medallion line shows no availability and couldn't get a long sell to go through. The representative said that AF makes more awards available for its FB members than for its partners' members. (She said Delta does the same thing ...)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:02 pm

KVS, why is ExpertFlyer showing zero in O, while you show available? Does your program pull from the AF website, or directly from actual inventory?

As to AF making more seats available to it's members, that's probably only in reference to the flex awards which cost more miles for AF members. Sort of like DL medium and high level awards (which can't be booked by AF members using their miles).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:17 pm
Ole

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by roknroll
As to AF making more seats available to it's members, that's probably only in reference to the flex awards which cost more miles for AF members. Sort of like DL medium and high level awards (which can't be booked by AF members using their miles).
This agent specifically said that AF will sell classic awards to its members and not make those seats available to Delta members through O class, which is exactly what's happening in my situation. She seemed knowledgeable on the topic.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Ole
This agent specifically said that AF will sell classic awards to its members and not make those seats available to Delta members through O class, which is exactly what's happening in my situation. She seemed knowledgeable on the topic.
FTers know more about DL partner award bookings than 90% or more of DL phone agents. I've gotten that "They make more seats available to their own members." line before and after finding a competent agent been able to get the seat.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ole
I'm not convinced this is happening in your situation. I don't know the answer, but maybe someone can explain why ExpertFlyer is showing no seats in O available for those flights, while the AF site shows classic awards available.

Both can't be right, and right now we don't know which one is.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by c_d
While I agree that it's primarily a AF issue, I partially blame DL for not re-negotiating the deal: it's a JV after all! DL is not simply a powerless bystander but they indeed can realign the classes.
Have you tried to book a low Delta award lately? They hardly exist.

I think Delta already renegotiated the deal... they cut inventory to AF and AF is just reciprocating.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
AF is happy to book the award for me if I want it...

...out of curiosity, does Delta charge the same YQ on AF metal as FB members pay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.