Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with bonus MQMs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
What to do with bonus MQMs

Wife is Silver through February 2014 because she has earned just over 25,000 MQMs this year. I'm Gold and will have about 68,000 MQMs by the end of the year.

We have a 15,000 MQM bonus coming next month when we hit a spend limit on the Delta Reserve card. I can keep it and make Platinum or give it to my wife and she'll roll over a bunch of miles toward making Silver again next year.

The timing is throwing me off. If I earn Platinum with the bonus this year, what can I give her for 2013 and/or 2014. Can I give her Gold for 2013 (one step up from what she already has)? Or, can I give her Silver for 2014 or is that not allowed because I won't be Platinum anymore by then (probably)? Other than not being allowed to rollover MQMs, is there any downside to gifted status versus earned status?

Any advice?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
No you can't make her gold nor give her silver for 2014.
There is no difference between gifted status and earned status except rollover
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Wife is Silver through February 2014 because she has earned just over 25,000 MQMs this year. I'm Gold and will have about 68,000 MQMs by the end of the year.

We have a 15,000 MQM bonus coming next month when we hit a spend limit on the Delta Reserve card. I can keep it and make Platinum or give it to my wife and she'll roll over a bunch of miles toward making Silver again next year.

The timing is throwing me off. If I earn Platinum with the bonus this year, what can I give her for 2013 and/or 2014. Can I give her Gold for 2013 (one step up from what she already has)? Or, can I give her Silver for 2014 or is that not allowed because I won't be Platinum anymore by then (probably)? Other than not being allowed to rollover MQMs, is there any downside to gifted status versus earned status?

Any advice?
You can't do either. You would only be able to gift Silver for 2013 even if you wait till end of the year to give it (you have to pick by Feb of next year or lose the ability to choose any benefit). You can not gift up a status, it is a straight gift of Silver for the Plat benefit regardless of what status the person is at.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Hit plat and get free award ticket redeposit!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying the benefits, all. I think I'll keep the bonus and make Platinum myself even though I now understand that it won't allow me to gift any special status to her. Instead, I'll give her next year's AMEX bonus so she can earn Silver again and I'll enjoy what will likely be my one and only year in the rarified air of Platinum status. I'm going to practice in front of a mirror saying, "Do you know who I am!?!," so I am prepared to deliver the line with maximum effect. (I'm kidding, of course.)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Thanks for clarifying the benefits, all. I think I'll keep the bonus and make Platinum myself even though I now understand that it won't allow me to gift any special status to her. Instead, I'll give her next year's AMEX bonus so she can earn Silver again and I'll enjoy what will likely be my one and only year in the rarified air of Platinum status. I'm going to practice in front of a mirror saying, "Do you know who I am!?!," so I am prepared to deliver the line with maximum effect. (I'm kidding, of course.)
You really have to be DM to effectively use DYKWIA
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by 122554
You really have to be DM to effectively use DYKWIA
Kryptonium.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:55 am

If I earn Platinum with the bonus this year, what can I give her for 2013 and/or 2014.
Any advice?
Make platinum and get her something from Tiffany's. Better than status......
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:03 am
Original Poster

I hesitated to post this, but since I won't name names, why not. I got a PM from someone offering that if I would give him my bonus MQMs, he would gift my wife Silver. The offer makes no sense in light of my post -- if she had not been Silver already, why in the world would I want to give away Platinum to him so he could gift her Silver instead of making Platinum myself so I could gift her Silver? But what really caused me pause is this -- is this kind of horse trading among internet strangers really a common thing here? It's got to violate Delta rules so how would you ever be able to trust someone to follow through with no way of enforcing a deal Delta doesn't allow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.