Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carrying your Medallion card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
I use my DM and KM cards to pick up beautiful women.
Obviously not the ones who work as FAs or have an affinity for Angry Birds.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by sethb
For that you need the number, not the card.
Which is why I need the card --- too many digits to memorize.

Now in the PMNW days <lol>

Bob H
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BobH
That's why I use an external brain.

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on the cloud. Oops.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:01 am

Good

Originally Posted by B7e7US
Air Europa at ORY, MAD, SDQ won't let you use the Business Class check-in line if you don't show the physical card to them. They are very consistent with this.
Good...that would keep me from having to fly with them.

Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:11 am

Good

Originally Posted by B7e7US
Air Europa at ORY, MAD, SDQ won't let you use the Business Class check-in line if you don't show the physical card to them. They are very consistent with this.
Good...that would keep me from having to fly with them.

Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by sethb:19170891
Originally Posted by BobH
That's why I use an external brain.

I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on the cloud. Oops.
Lulz. Apple will delete it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:10 am

Location: Based in DCA, but spending much time in Chile, Arizona, northern England, and airports
Programs: DL PM; Delta Amex Reserve
The only situations I've been in where it helped were international, as others have said. Back before I had any status, a colleague got us into the priority lane at SCL. The gatekeeper refused to let us go to the check-in window even though her boarding pass said "elite plus" (or whatever it was back then); he wanted to see the card. Finally the desk agent overheard and waved us forward. Could have been a Spanish-English thing, but the card would have helped. I still carry mine.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Priority Club Plat, HH Silver, Marriott, Hertz President's Circle, WN Rapid Rewards
I carry mine in a wallet in my backpack; use it fairly frequently when going into AF or KLM lounges. It is easier than getting into a discussion on the meaning of "Sky Team Elite Plus" on my boarding pass.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:21 am
zld

Programs: AA EP, DL GM
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
I read a post on here recently which got me to thinking. I think the gist of the post was that there was an IROP or something and the FA gave all the elites some sky pesos by swiping thier card, right there on the plane. Which brings me to my ? - i NEVER carry my Medallion card. I certainly have my # memorized so I see no need to carry my card. I've also seen some posts on here where the card gets you into STE lounges if there is a dispute. Those are both compelling reasons to carry the card but I wonder if most ppl on here, in fact, carry the card? Besides the two aforementioned examples, are there other reasons to physically carry the Medallion card? Hopefully my new shiny Platinum should come in a few weeks since I'm PM as of yesterday.............. I'd love your thoughts/reasons to carry the Medallion card - or not? thanks. Safe travels everybody.
I never used to carry mine because I never had a reason to. But, the 2 reasons you bring up are the exact ones that have prompted me to start carrying it.

FWIW, I got into the LHR ST lounge a few weeks ago using my BP and reciting my SM number to the desk agent. There was thread with mixed reviews as to whether the physical card is needed, and though it wasn't in my case, it prompted me to start carrying the card.

Another good reason is for getting through TSA elite lines when you aren't flying DL, but bag tags can accomplish that as well.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM
I whip mine out (my DM card, I mean ) much more than I would have thought.

AF lounges and check in on KLM are most common uses.

For reasons I don't understand (and nobody seems to be able to explain) I can't check in online for KLM, usually can't check in via kiosk, and if I check in at the desk without a discussion, my SM number and ST elite won't print on my boarding pass. I've taken to just handing them my passport and DM card to avoid the chatter ("Oof, that is not possible, sir.") and number recital/repetition.

On a related note, I carried my UAL 1K card for at least 5 years after I quit flying them. Did nothing domestically, but at distant partner stations it worked like a charm for getting in priority lines. (Held with thumb over expiration date.)

Last edited by cmaas; Aug 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mrredskin
it got me to the medallion lot at Turner Field - directly across from the stadium. still $15 parking - but better than the further lots for the same price. made me feel important
This.

I keep mine in my wallet all the time not because I need it often but because I'd forget to dig it out and bring it with me when I do need it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM
it got me to the medallion lot at Turner Field - directly across from the stadium. still $15 parking - but better than the further lots for the same price. made me feel important
+1. Yep, this too.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno
The cards are useful for international travel.
I always have my DL card in my wallet (but not any other airline/hotel/rental car cards). The dragons at AMS generally won't let you into the lounge without it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
I keep my SM card (and not my SC card) in my wallet. There are three things (which have already been mentioned upthread) which I use it for regularly. These more than justify the minuscule space occupied and the insignificant weight added to my wallet by the SM card. The better question, I think, is why NOT carry it?

Originally Posted by tkhattabaugh
I used my DM card once at a partner lounge in MAD for access. I didn't have my SC card with me, but my DM Skymiles card was what they wanted anyway, I think.
I always use my SM card for SC access. I always use an eBP and it is easier to hand them my SM card and ID than my phone. I swipe my SM card at the kiosk if I need to check for an earlier flight option, then show my ID at security, so I already have both out when I get to the SC.

Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Useful to reprint items and check in at Kisok.
I also have my SM number memorized, but it's much faster to just swipe the card. Plus half the time the screen calibration on the kiosk seems to be off.

Prepay for any lot... It's $10 in advance and that w/ the medallion card gets you in the premium parking area. It's only $15 if you pay on the spot.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:51 pm
mdb

I suggest just wearing the Hat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.